I Think I got a New Project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I Think I got a New Project

I'm gonna run this past you all. I bought a '94 Ford Taurus SHO off this guy who lives nearby. I gotta pay him over a couple paydays, but I'll have it pretty soon.

Its green with big old wide tires and aluminum rims...they gotta be at least 16", and the back tires are Pirelli. When you look at it from a distance, it looks like any other Ford Taurus, but when you look close, its a lot more aggressive looking than the grocery getters. Its got this wild looking Yamaha engine, I think its 3.2L because its an automatic. The guy told me it works like the Yamaha motorcycle engines that are the V-type. When you're running normal, it acts like a normal V-6, but when you get on it, another half of the intake thing (is it turbo? fuel injected? or what? Looks like a speghetti machine) kicks in and its supposed to really scream.

Its got a farily good leak in the tranny, and it drips on the exhaust and smokes...I don't know where its coming from. But it does shift good, and it idles like a new car. Its a little noisy and sounds like a six-cylinder with a loud muffler, but it has dual exhaust too. There is no ticking or smoking though other than the transmission oil on the exhaust.

Then the last thing thats wrong with it I think is a bad front coil spring. It leans to one side and wobbles. I couldn't reach my hand around the wheel like I could on the passenger side. I was afraid to drive it too fast thinking that maybe a tie rod or ball joint would give.

I didn't look at it too closely, but I thought it would make a good "toy" to fix and have some fun with. I got it for less than a grand, so I figured even with the problems, it has a good running engine and the body is straight and not too bad at all. Besides, if it gives me too much problems, I could probably part it out and get more than what I paid for it. Its also got a whole bunch of options like a CD, moonroof, leather power seats.

So does anyone have any ideas about the tranny and the front end? Does this car "qualify" as some kind of muscle car? It seems like a lot more than just a family sedan. I'd really like to see and feel how that engine runs when you goose it. I just stared at that weird configuration intake while it was running and wondered what it was capable of?

It'll probably take a month or so to pay off, but we signed some papers and the guy seems honest enuogh, and gave him some money down. When I get some pictures Ill post them.

Thanks for the help,

Joseph

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Those things are a terrible waste of time and a huge money pit, you would be better off getting rid of it as soon as possible. I happen to know a guy who might be interested in taking it off your hands.

Let me know.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

Now Chuck, play nice. Don't pay any attention to him Joeseph, he just wants another one to play with. I have a feeling once you get used to yours, you'll want another one too.

I never got ahold of a SHO Taurus, but I did get to drive an SHO/SVT (can't remember which) Contour before I changed the tires on it. Talk about acceleration, good thing I moved the seat up, that guy was TALL.

MoocH
Old 02-23-2004, 12:15 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
Those things are a terrible waste of time and a huge money pit, you would be better off getting rid of it as soon as possible. I happen to know a guy who might be interested in taking it off your hands.

Let me know.
4 jaw is right, the Ford Taurus has the WORST auto tranmission
EVER!
I've herd a lot of bad things about the whole car, but I don't really
see them falling apart going down the road.

Anyway, good luck with it
Old 02-23-2004, 02:07 PM

Last journal entry: No More :(
Last photo:

My first car was a 93 taurus sho (dad's hand me down car). It was an auto, burned oil, but it was still a fun toy. Had a little over 220,000 miles on it when we traded it in on my truck. Even though I love my truck, I still kinda miss that car.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

The 6 cyl autos are OK, the 6cyl 5-sp. is desirable, the V8 auto is choice.
When they were new, they were favorably compared to 5-series beemers. The transaxle is the weak link, but they are worth playing with, and if the car is decent, body and interior wise, it's worth spending what it takes to make the engine and transaxle right. They are an absolute blast to drive, and will surprise a lot of "touring performance sedan" snobs. It's a shame the V8 was not available with the 5 spd. (btw, you stole it, just like Chuck is trying to do!)

Last edited by Biggarmike; 02-23-2004 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:

Hey 4-jaw...

Yea its the same kind as the one you have posted in your gallery. Yours looks a little cleaner and shinier. Its got the same kind of wheels too. But mine is that dark green metalflake color...I really like the red and black ones better.

Tell ya what...whoever owns that older Mercury Cougar in your gallery, tell him I'd think about trading for that. You know those old Cougars are money pits too...and parts are really hard to find!

BTW - there were some comments on the transaxle...what would I do to take it from being the "weak spot" and correct it so it is strong? Again it is an automatic, it shifts fine, but it leaks. Any ideas about the leak...is it common...a seal? a servo?

Thanks again

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.