I think I just went through my first t350... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Classic Industries is now selling 4-speeds
these are new----about $1700.---could be less
If you have to have someone rebuild---may be better off getting a new one.

If you don't mind modifying the tranny tunnel---you can buy a Tremec 5-spd.

I have one in the 59 Avatar car---I love it. If I had not bought this tranny so long ago, I could have gotten one with a taller 1st gear. Mine has a 3.27 first, so the 1-2 shift is real quick.
New ones are available with a 2.87 (i think), I plan on getting one of these for my 66 Elky.

Bryan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2006, 11:45 PM

Last photo:

Re: I think I just went through my first t350

Sounds like you broke the Intermediate roller clutch outer race. This is actually pretty common on stock TH350's used in perfprmance applications. The factory race just wasn't made to take the pounding that a shift kit and big tires put on it. (I've done this twice and it feels/sounds like there are marbles between your tires and the road!)

You can get a hardened replacement race from TCI or PATC for around $59.
See item #13 on:
http://transmissioncenter.net/PinHole.htm

You'll also want to have the tranny rebuilt, and the torque convertor replaced, since you've now got chunks of that race everywhere!

BTW... If you haven't noticed, having a nice car is EXPENSIVE!!! Especially if you want to maintain it! If you are in High School now, stay in and finish! From there, go on to a college or tech school that provides a degree in something YOU enjoy. It's a lot nicer to go through life having the money to get what you want/need. It will only get harder as you get older and when a serious girlfriend enters the picture! Do yourself a favor and finish High School AND College, then spend the $$ on a car you can really enjoy! Take it from someone who's tried it both ways!

Best of luck!

Kevin-Chandler, AZ
Old 09-30-2006, 09:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Rebuilding the 4-speed isn't brain surgery, but keep in mind you will need a correct flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing, bell housing and linkages - and probably a shifter. AND, your driveshaft may not be the correct length depending on the length of the trans, not to mention the yoke and spline may be different, and you will probably need a different rear crossmember. Not sure about the speedometer gear arrangement.

Four speeds are fun I agree. The thought of rebuilding the T-350 might bring on an anxiety attack, but a good rebuild kit comes with a video to help you along. I had never been inside an auto and did a performance rebuild of my T-400, even modifying, drilling the intermediate clutch drum and putting in a 34 element sprag, no problems. And yes, a digital camera is a plus, especially for the internal linkages and valve body guts. Laying them out the way the came out is a good idea but sure as heck they'll get shuffled and out of order.

I got a lot of help from this BB, there are some great trans guys here.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Newskool

Last journal entry: New, Used grill arrived!
Last photo:

Its hard to decide what to do. I will probably pull the tranny myself. From there I could get it rebuilt for 400-500 top to bottom(Canadian).

Is there even a chance of replacing a few parts in the th350 or is it shot? Bigolotava, it was exactly what you were saying! I thought someone had actually put grease or something on my back tires. Coming from a school full of ricer lovers(parking lots full of those lawn mowers...) everyone loves to see the muscel car spin its tires. Infact it just started happening all at once. Right once I started her up to drive home for lunch. After rereading your post I take it I'm going to have to have it rebuilt?

I figure at this point I will go with the 4spd if I can. If it means running the family restraunt all christmas I'll have to do it. I've been trying to only put the best of what I can into the car.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.