I think I just went through my first t350... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Newskool

Last journal entry: New, Used grill arrived!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think I just went through my first th350...

I'm 16, drive a 74 nova ss with a 350 and th350 transmission. All goes to an 8.5" diff then down to two 295-50r15 tires. And today at lunch I started the car up and started driving out of the parking lot, BUT! My tires were slipping and spinning everywhere(or so I thought). So I keep going and it seems to be getting worse. I thought that someone as a joke may have put some crap on my back tires and they were spinning because thats exactly what it sounded like. But that was not the case. I get home and immediately start troubleshooting.

Reverse works fine, forward gears go into gear(classic old muscel car feel of the thing sucking down) and its got a tiny bit of forward move until it just starts reving and I start rolling backwards. I checked the trans fluid and called my mechanic thinking I had stripped the torque converter. He informed me that it was driven by the fluids. So I topped up the trans fluid and tried again to see if the trans would work. Still the same problem. 1st, 2nd and 3rd don't work. Reverse seems to be working fine. The things got a leak in the front of the tranny where it connects to the motor. So I'm thinking it may have been run just barely low for a day or two.

Did I wreck my tranny? If so this really sucks because I'm down to my last thousand for this car until I start working 30 hours a week again. Not to mention I just had to order a $250 gas tank. Am I another teenager thats riding a bike for the next 3 months?

Advertisement

Last edited by topdogger; 09-28-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2006, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdogger
Am I another teenager thats riding a bike for the next 3 months?
LOL, probably so. If reverse works but the rest don't, the converter is good. Doesn't sound too promising!

Mark
Old 09-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Newskool

Last photo:

I called my mechanic and he is willing to rip out the old one and replace it with a used one for $550. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. What do you guys think?

My other option is... My car is setup for a stick currently. I have to have the clutch pedal in to start the car, I've got the console for a stick, I've got almost all the linkage... AND my uncle rolled his 73 nova SS 20 years ago and still has the 4sp manual. Only thing is it needs to be rebuilt. I think he said 2nd gear doesn't work.

I'm about to winterize my car anyway. I figure I'll wait till spring to fix this. But in the mean time do you think I should buy the tranny off my uncle and take a crack at fixing it? I would love to have a 4sp manual in my car. How much do you guys think it would cost?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Needs a clutch
Put real gears back in it.
I have hated automatics since I was 15
That feeling has not left me yet

Bryan
Old 09-28-2006, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

It depends on what the 4 speed actually needs and what model it is.

$550 for an installed USED tranny sounds like a big crap shoot to me! I'd ck around the see what a shop gets to redo one right. They aren't that hard and parts are cheap! Just my 2cents worth.

Mark
Old 09-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Newskool

Last photo:

Are you sure all it needs is a clutch? I have never actually had my hands in an automatic tranny before. But the good news today is it sounds like I might get half my garage this winter! Which means I can fix a lot of things wrong with my car...

Do you have to pull the tranny to swap a clutch? I've never seen the inside of one before. Is it something the average joe can do?

The gasket between my motor and tranny is leaking(whole reason this thing occred) so I'm still kinda thinking of pulling the tranny. Plus, somethings messed up with the tranny linkage right now. I can't lock it into 1st. I can only put it in drive, park, nuetral, reverse, 2nd and 3rd. Don't know why it just won't pull over that far. My tranny was jerryrigged in. The shifter is screwed into the floor boards with a woodworking screw... Thats why I'm kinda hoping I can just go to a stick shift.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:39 PM
No substitute for cubic inches

Last journal entry: Tha 31
Last photo:

550 is WAY too much for a used tranny installed. I can have a t350 rebuilt and installed for that.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Newskool

Last photo:

I should mention to that thats installed. He's a nice guy that does the work for me. Normally does really good rates. He's quoting 8 hours I think it was incase there were problems ligning stuff up.

The cheapest quote I could get to have it rebuilt and put back in is $800

My car is evil however. When you fix something something else breaks. Every time no exceptions no matter what.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

Like I said for that price I can get it rebuilt AND installed. Rebuild $225.00 with manual valve body and extra clutches. Installation $250.00
Canada is too expensive
Old 09-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Newskool

Last photo:

Thats a lot cheaper then I can get up here in saskatchewan. I still think its pretty crazy.

Ultimately I would like to spend the time to put a 4spd back in. Since I've already decided I'm waiitng till spring to finish this since its gonna snow in less then a month and you don't get very good traction with power going over 24 inches of rubber. Not much weight per square inch. So its probably gonna be stored. BUT, I've been told by a friend of mine who is a mechanic at the GM dealership that if your careful, take your time, and label everything you can fix an old 4 spd tranny.

Oh, I should mention. My uncle has two 4spd trannys both need a rebuild and he figures he could make one good one out of them. I'm thinking I may buy them off of him if he'll sell them and see what I can come up with. Would it be worth it or would it be better to take it to a tranny shop?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:03 PM

Last photo:

It is not real hard to do. A digital camera is your best friend. Take LOTS of pics as you are tearing it down and label EVERYTHING as it comes out. I have rebuilt a t350 once, but for 225, it's not worth it to me now. A manual is easier to build than an auto for sure, and the parts are cheap. Just remember if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. Plus the value of your car goes up with the stick and that's always good.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Newskool

Last photo:

if I can get the trannys off my uncle thats probably what I'll do. It will definately be easier hooking the 4sp back up vs trying to fix the jerryrigged job of setting an automatic back up properly in my car. I always thought a standard would be easier to fix then an automatic but my mechanic was saying it'll probably cost 1000-1500 to have a manual rebuilt by a tranny shop.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:12 PM

Last photo:

The 2 main tools you need are a digital camera and try to find a repair manual on the tranny.(ebay)? The difference between Canada and Alabama is you are storing for the winter, we store them for the summer
Old 09-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Newskool

Last photo:

How much do you think it will cost price wise for parts? I think I might just got with a stick for sure now. As long as I can get the trannys.

They seem to be really hard to find.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

http://dandltransmission.com/ has ID info for several types of car-type four-speeds, and they also sell parts. When they talk about "how many grooves?", they mean the annular (like a ring on a finger) grooves cut into the splined area of the input shaft.

You'll also need a set of lock ring pliers. Otherwise you'll end up scarred and self-inflictedly bald. Here's a few part numbers:

KD 2534
Cal-Van 268-834
Plews 72-951
Craftsman 47386 or 00947386000
Mac P21A

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.