I think I need shocks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 05:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think I need shocks

My daily driver is a 98 jeep cherokee with 217K miles. It feels like the jeep moves from side to side when I hit a bump instead of up and down. I can feel just about every thing the tires go over.
Can anyone tell me how to test to see if I need to replace my shocks. I think I also have struts on either side in the front.
Any and all responses are appreciated.
Rob D.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

In the 'old days' we'd bounce it up and down, it it didn't settle in half a bounce, like go right to ride heigth when you stopped, we figured the shocks were shot. Probably the same with struts, on my old T-Bird they'd squeek and groan when the went bad. Sounds like you're rockin'and rollin' pretty good.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 04-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

side to side is more of the death wobble from these cars, my 95 had that too. Test and replace front end components. If it were mine and I was going to keep it, I'd just go through the whole thing. After 220k miles there's not a single front end component that's worth keeping.

K
Old 04-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I agree it needs a complete front end rebuild.

Cole
Old 04-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Engine Builder/Head Porter

The "bounce" technique still works to this day.lol. Although I don't knowabout settleing within half a bounce but if it bounces without settleing within a couple bounces, it may need to be done. Also, if they are liquid filled shocks, look for leaks coming from where the shock's shaft goes into the casing. Otherwise, what everyone else has said, if it has a ton of mileage, I would do a complete rebuild with all new parts and bushings. You can upgrade to a uerathane style to help eliminate flex. Alos, try to upgrade parts like shocks to application specific shocks for best results. Don't just go with stock. Spend the money once and when you upgrade, go better.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:10 AM

Last photo:

I have replaced the front stabilizer bar bushings and links. I have not touched the rear stab bar yet. Don't see any leaks around the shocks;however, I do see where the shock bushings are dry rotted.
One more question, When I change say the rear shocks, after jacking the rear up off the ground, can I safely remove the rear shocks if I put jack stands under the frame rails towards the back? In other words the rear would still be supported by the leaf springs when I removed the shocks. I was going to use the same concept with the front.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:26 AM
Engine Builder/Head Porter

I would jack up the truck, put jack stands under the frame, and leave the jack under the rear. Do the shocks have a mounting eye on top and bottom or just the bottom and the top is through bolted? If they are through bolted, you can just unbolt the nut and let them drop down, remove the bottom bolt and your done. The shocks with two eyes, I would do what I said above, remove the nut and you can start lowering the rear down a bit until the shocks free up to remove them. Sometimes it is difficult with them fully extended and fully compressed, so by letting the rear down slowly you can free them up to take them out. The springs will hold the rear in so don't worry about that. If the front's don't have struts and they are shocks, then they should have the top through bolt, which you just need to remove the nut, then remove the bottom bolts and it will fall out through the bottom. Now if this truck has alot of room under it and sits pretty high, you may be able to do all this without a jack and stands..
Old 04-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

by front end work I think you're looking at ball joints and tie rod ends. Jack the car up and grab the wheels, wiggle them back and forth, bet you'll find some play. Again, if you're having a problem with side-to-side movement shocks are NOT your problem.

K

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.