I think I will try SPI. SOme questions. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think I will try SPI. SOme questions.

Ok, I think I'll give it a whirl if I can get the bad cult-ish taste out of my mouth from this board.

Questions.. A lot of people rave about their epoxy, and the other half who have tried it say it's about your standard epoxy (No, I don't want to hear this bogus lacquer test thing again, since I know it's wrong). Will I still need their hi build, and if so, what one? This is a personal vehicle (Classic mustang). I'm not in a huge rush for it to dry off.

Secondly, what clear coat should I be looking at. I'm looking at finish (Obviously), sprayability (obviously) and longevity. I don't want someone who says "It looks great 2 months after I shot it!!". I'm looking at 10-20+ years down the road, and I'm not sure if it's been around that long, so who knows.

I'll be using ProSpray base which my local jobber sold me (And later found out it's recommended).

So personal experiences are welcome.. None of this internet myth stuff.

Thanks guys!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Good service prompt shipping good product whats not to like?? All that I will use myself..

guys like that so maybe that is why SPI has a loyal following..What can I say..

Sam
Old 02-18-2011, 12:59 PM

Last photo:

I want to know about the product.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Call this number and ask for Barry-you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know!

706-781-2220

I love the Epoxy, but I'm one of the ones who ONLY uses the Epoxy (no hi build)-
Old 02-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I use 2 wet coats of epoxy to preserve the metal as my projects are long term. It is the easiest sanding epoxy I have ever used..I then use either the 2k or Turbo for blocking..the hi build I keep for those scratches that we used to use the body putty on (remember that) and finish with universal clear..

Sam
Old 02-18-2011, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

Alright, thanks guys. Keep em coming. I'm looking for unbiased opinions, remember.. Perhaps shops who use all kinds of stuff.

My confidence is just a little shaken by 302 who claimed a few days ago that DP wipes off with lacquer thinner.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

I also think I remember something someone said (Could have been Barry even, but I can't recall), that there was really no point to using the high build, and just to get the regular 2K and apply more coats, but I could be mis-remembering. Any ideas?
Old 02-18-2011, 02:57 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

It's the best in the whole world,,it's even the best stuff to read about over and over,,don't knock it unless you have tried it..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	not_this_****_again.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	52811  
Old 02-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

I use the eopxy and universal clear. i've used Dupont and Nason for years. The epoxy doesn't gum up sandpaper like the Nason Ful Poxy does. The universal clear sprays way better for me than I ever could with any of DuPont's products. I've used SPI clear on eight projects and only sanded one(my own fault, I used summer activator in the winter). I'm sold. I have no clue of other brands of products though.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK81
My confidence is just a little shaken by 302 who claimed a few days ago that DP wipes off with lacquer thinner.
My experience with DP was about six years ago. Right after I received my Rootlieb four piece hood for my 34 I coated it with DP and set it aside. It was going to be stored in my garage so I didn't want it to rust before I got around to fitting it. About six months later was when I stumbled upon a thread about PPG DP on this site. Base on what I was reading I tried the experiment and was bummed out it was that easy to remove (please do not again suggest it was mixed wrong ). I am of the opinion your confidence in DP probably should be shaken , especially since SPI is such a superior product to DP. If we get you to switch to SPI that is a good thing. I use 2K hi build on top of it like a lot of people here do, but if your body is straight enough you can just use the SPI epoxy. There is a member here who specializes in early Corvette's and that is all he uses, paints right on top of it.

Also do give Barry a call, you will find him one of the most talkative informative people about paint you have talked to.

Cheers
Vince
Old 02-19-2011, 02:26 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK81
I also think I remember something someone said (Could have been Barry even, but I can't recall), that there was really no point to using the high build, and just to get the regular 2K and apply more coats, but I could be mis-remembering. Any ideas?
Johnny,I use SPI epoxy and clear because I've been in this biz for 35 yrs and my hoohoo is wore out from getting screwed by all the body and paint suppliers .Ive used most brands and quite a few budget brands.I started using SPI because it was a dam good deal not because of anything said or recommended on the internet or hotrodders.com because I was using it before I was online...I found out it was a great primer and I was using it for a few years before I joined HR ...When I joined I was telling members about this primer I was using thinking I was letting them in on a great deal I found and to my surprise they already knew..I thought it was a small company here in Ga that only I knew about .LOL,I couldnt have been more wrong.

I joined HR about 2yrs ago and right of the bat I got in an argument with a member called Barry K about rust removal and using Ospho and epoxy primer which I've been doing for years and how well SPI worked with it even though the directions clearly say they dont recommend using any acid products under their primer.
Its all there in Black and white we ended up getting suspended and getting a spanking by the moderators and Jon...(I believe that was my first post) I had no idea Barry K owned SPI but when you know what your talking about you dont back down. So when I say the company and the service alone is worth buying the product not JUST the product ,I have no reason to lie I thought Barry was a total but-head for trashing Ospho.We turned out to be pretty good friends.... hes a little thick headed so if you ever have lunch with him just let him buy it isnt worth getting into an argument about.Been there too.

..............DONT TRY SPI !!!!! .....use it even once and you'll be hooked too.....It really is the best and the best deal on epoxy primer.... I totally love their clear too...give him a call but dont say Mike from Augusta sent you..LOL..SPI has other great products that I've used but the epoxy and clear are just something I wont substitute with anything else
Old 02-19-2011, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the responses guys. The body.. Proooobably not too straight, so maybe I should just go to the hi-build.

Having said that, how long ago was the longest SPI job done? I mean, you can get a car to look mint with restoleum if you take your time (maybe?) but it's not going to look great 5 years down the road. How long have they been around?

Barring what states will let you use what VOC, what should I be shooting for in their clear department? Which one specifically? I read most about Universal clear.. What about the Euro, and all that jazz?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:36 PM

Universal is best for an allover job. The euro and turbo are more collision oriented. By that i mean if you arent cutting and buffing within a few days, you're in a little trouble. They are harder than the universal. There are guys that use the MS, 3 coats-cut flat with 6-800 then 3 more coats.

Universal is pretty much idiot proof.....i've yet to run any that i've sprayed.

I've cut an buffed a month and a half after 3 coats of universal in the summertime, and still cut and buffed like butter.

Doesn't matter what area you are in, they have clears, primers, and reducer that fits all laws in california/canada.

and btw, rustoleum isn't going to look good a week down the road, and no matter what you do and how you do it, it will never look like a job done with quality products.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I've got a car thats been sitting outside that was epoxy primed 6yrs ago..that same car I was experimenting with its building capibilities and I filled 36 grit scratches I put 8 heavy wet coats at 1 per hr .it took over a week to cure then I sanded it and reprimed it one more time ...nothing swelled and the scratches are nowhere to be seen ....I got pics somewhere but thats one reason I like it so much... I've abused to crap out of it and it just laughed at me.Theres nothhing else like it.buy a quart ,try it ,if it isnt as good as we say I'll drink the rest...... not really
Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

I'm not buying a quart. I'm no body shop. I'm buying all I need at once for this car.

So barring what my location is (It can vary) is there a specific one I want to shoot for? The 4.4 VOC perhaps? Or will I die without a fresh air system?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.