I think we made a cam mistake! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2003, 04:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think we made a cam mistake!

Well, as the saga continues:

My son and I each started building engines back in November. I pretty much left him alone and had him work with the machine shop on the cam selection, along with the heads and pistons. They knew full well that his engine was going in a 5000 pound 3/4 ton 4X4 "wheelin" truck. My son wanted a roller cam and they suggested the Comp "Extreme Energy" 286 cam.

Well, today, I found the cam card and then cked on the Comp web site to see what the cam was all about. They state the following:
"Great for street machines"
"headers needed" ( which we have )
"intake" ( we have the Performer PRM Qjet manifold )
"Gears" ( we have 4.11s with 36" tires!)
"2000rpm stall converter" ( which we do NOT have!)

We converted the stock granny 4 speed to a TH400 with shift kit and 12" stock converter. Are we screwed as far as being able to get this thing to idle at all? Not to mention the AZ has emission testing too!

We're planning on finishing up the engine tonight, but my thinking is the cam needs to come out and get changed to a more modest one before we run it and are stuck with it. Any thoughts?

Here are the cam specs:
model number Comp 8-432-8 Hyd Roller.
RPM 2200 to 5800
adv duration. Intake 282 exhaust 288
lift intake .510 exhaust .520
Lobe seperation. 110 degrees

World 180cc runner heads, 2.02/1.96
KB pistons approx CR of 9.3
Quinch set at .041
Modified Qjet carb.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2003, 04:55 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I say go for it without the stall, it`s a 400 and they swallow big cams, we were running a flat tappet cam with 230 236 duration with a stock converter and it idled without hardly a lope.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:03 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

I agree with Doublevision. A 2000 RPM stall converter is only about 400 RPM over the stock converter. If you do find that your takeoff needs more RPM then I'd step up to about a 2400 RPM converter.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

That's not much bigger than the hydraulic roller in my motorhome, and my motorhome idles fairly smooth.
I don't think it's an outrageous cam, but a little smaller would probably be better for your application.
I would run it!
Old 12-29-2003, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info. I called my son and he still wants to run it.

I called Comp and they pretty much said "good luck"! Its gonna be tough trying to climb rocks and gulleys at 2 grand! LOL

Well, i'm off to the shop for final wiring and carb and hopefully fire it up tonight.

Mark
Old 12-29-2003, 05:16 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

I also agree with prior posts. I ran my Mustangs little old 302 with a 276/286 advertised duration cam and .471 lift with a stock converter for almost a year with no real problems. When I got the time last summer I swapped out the converter for a TCI Breakaway. I can definitely feel the difference when launching. I say keep the cam and if you need to swap out the converter do that later on.

Old 12-29-2003, 05:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If you really want to climb some rocks drop your rear axle gearing to something like a 5.13. The cam is a bit big for diehard rock climbing but more gearing will help keep the rpm up there.

If you truly want to idle up steep inclines and climb really steep rocks a cam change would be a good idea. That cam would make a good mud bogger however, she will keep the tires spinning!
Old 12-29-2003, 05:53 PM

Its been my experience that most cam descriptions for small block Chev's are for a 350,if you have more cubes, it will come on sooner.I just two days ago finished a 400 with camel humps,flat tops,EPS Performer,224/234 at .050 and to my surprise, barely a hint of any cam at all,I ran a 2800 stall and I think it was a wast of money. Idles flat at 750.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:07 PM
Engine Builder Mentee

I just a few days ago talked to our local tranny guy and he said that on a TH350 and most TH400's stock stall was 1800, and you could get 1900 out of it with a bit more power. I'm running a cam that says I should have a higher stall converter (which I don't), but vacuum has been the only problem I've had at idle.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:40 PM

Now i've hered a 400sbc with the Performer RPM camshaft in it with a (.234-.244 @50) and it sounded nice and lumpy lick a cam should atleast in my oppinion.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:57 AM

An educated guess would be with your setup,it will come on about 1900/2000 and like Adryan16 said about stall speed is right on,with the performers port design ,any lag will be very insignificant.Id run it for sure,plus side is you make less heat with less stall,not a bad thing for a 4x4.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:32 AM

Last photo:

I agree you might have made a slight mistake. I made a similar mistake years ago, putting too much cam in a heavy Blazer (350ci) it was a slug. Sure it ran great on the highway, but had very little torque.

You are working with a 400 so it shouldn't be as bad (though your truck is heavier). For your intended use I would think you would want torque from idle to about 5000. We are talking a climbing vehicle not a drag car, you have to build the engine a little different.

I agree with more gear and stall you can make it work. If this is not in the plans it would be cheaper and easier to swap out the cam now (IMO).

Either way let us know how it runs please, this is something we can all learn from.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.