i was told to bring my question to this forum - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2006, 11:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

truck wont start

I'm kinda new to hot rodding. My name is chad, I live in kellyton Alabama. I have been married for 7 years. I have two sons, a 4 month old and a 7 year old. Anyways, I bought a 69' Chevy custom 10 a couple weeks ago. I had a 68 when i was in high school. I was going to restore it, but I got too busy chasing girls, etc. to do it. I love this truck. Its ran great since I bought it up until a few days ago. I'm not sure if its the ignition or what, but it wont turn over at all. It acts like the battery is dead. I checked the ground for the battery and everything seems in order. I tried to jump it but when I connect the cables, I don't get any indications that the battery is charging (I.E. no headlights, radio doesn't come on, etc.). I think the battery has a good charge. the truck hasnt been hard to start in the past. the symptoms came on fairly suddenly. If anyone has a suggestion id be glad to hear it. Thanks!!

Advertisement

Last edited by phoenix499; 08-19-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2006, 01:56 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

You should probably change you thread title to something like (my truck wont turn over!) or something... You will get more replies that way. Have you inspected all your batt. connections, terminals and cables? Sometimes corrosion will cause this problem. Sometimes it moves into to batt. cables where you cant see it!
Old 08-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

Pick up a cheap multi-function tester from Radio Shack or a good auto parts supply and check the voltage going from the battery to the coil, and across the battery -- or pull the battery and take it in to be tested. This is probably a simple problem, you just need to figure out where the juice isn't that it should be.....
Old 08-19-2006, 02:44 PM

your probably right....

the only thing is, there was no warning. It hadent been hard to crank before. Just kinda happened all the sudden.But I'm going to get a multimeter later today.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:01 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last photo:

Walmart has a nice lil multimeter that will strap to your arm and will do everything you need and more. I think its a inova and is like $25 bucks. I would try turning the car on and the radio up where you could here it and start messing with those batt. terminals and cables. I once had a car that did this one day out of no where. No power to anything! The batt. terminal was on and looked fine but it was loose and causing the problem. You would think if it was making some contact the dome light and radio would work. I also had a motorcycle that sometimes would go completely dead when I would try to start it. It did not do it all the time just every once in a while. It turned out to be just a lil bit of corrosion on the -batt. terminal. I was going crazy trying to find the problem. Start with the simple stuff. Make sure your connections are clean and tight.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I would look at your fusable links also. They will kill everything. They USUALLY feed either right from the battery or off the starter feed post. They are subject to rotting out.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

What Car is this? What engine type and displacement?

Generically, you can test, the Battery, pull it and try it in another car, see if it works in that car..

If not, replace the battery.

Next check the solenoid connection at the "B" terminal..(where the battery cable connects) Be sure it is tight. If there is a secondary 10 gauge wire running from there, check it for power also..This is the system support wire (on most vehicles) Look for a burned section of wire near the solenoid (this will probably be the fuse link) inspect,repair or replace as needed.

Do you have a Meter?

Answer the questions about type of vehicle and if you have a meter , we can help you more.

Doc
Old 08-20-2006, 11:25 AM

it is a..

1969 chevrolet custom 10. it has a general motors 350 medium duty, im not sure about the displacement. as soon as i can get my hands on one ill have a meter (this all happened at the most inconvienient time; the middle of the pay week).
Old 08-20-2006, 11:41 AM

Last photo:

I have a 1970 and have had some problems with the 30yr old wiring too, painless harness is going to be the first item on the rebuild agenda. First check your connection plug at the firewall going to the fuse box, there is also a wiring loom that runs across the top of the firewall and hood where they can get pinched between the hood and cause a short, then look under the dash at the ignition switch wires, next check the solenoid on the starter, you should have lights if this is the problem though. Finally have your battery tested. Good luck
Old 08-20-2006, 12:11 PM

OK I feel like a complete moron....

turns out my positive terminal just wasnt making a good connection. There was no corrosion, i just went out and cleaned the battery terminals and reconnected and the truck fired right up. I guess i assumed the worst when it wouldnt crank the first time. Someone said start with the small things. Well, he was right. Sorry to waste everyones time. I should have known what the problem was. Ill try to post a more intellegent question the next time. I swear I'm not a COMPLETE moron, just tend to have brain farts quiet often.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:34 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last photo:

Glad you got it going!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Glad to hear it was a simple fix..

Check your battery POST where it goes into the battery for a crack..

The terminal does not have to corrode to insulate when this occurs..

the electrolyte travels up through the post, and makes the terminal look sort of "Wet" If you are seeing this, you CAN try, a little roof patch around the base of the post..(Hydroseal I think it's called.) see if it seals back up..

If not a battery should be in the budget soon..

Doc
Old 08-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Just adding something here.

With our big ole heatwaves about the country-Battery failures are pretty common.
Same as with extreme cold.

A weak or dead cell will pop up with absolutely no warning whatsoever.
This can show up as completely dead (and might wake up tomorrow to die again tomorrow afternoon)
or may provide enough current to activate a solenoid, but nothing else.

Being raised in SE Idaho and having lived in Phoenix---This is a pretty common occurance

(Dammit--'nuther new battery bites the weenie)

These silly things CAN test okay sometimes, just getting it into a heated or air conditioned environment can change the properties.

But yes----Check connections first.

Bryan
Old 08-20-2006, 11:07 PM

Thanks!!

I appreciate the help!!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.