I tried Lucas Stop Slip Transmission Additive : My Results - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 10:34 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I tried Lucas Stop Slip Transmission Additive : My Results

Underneath is part of a reply I typed in another thread back in January, describing my problem. Since January I've run the mileage up from 210,000 to 233,000. I changed my transmission fluid on Sunday and added the Lucas Stop Slip additive with the new fluid. I didn't expect the product to do anything magical, which is good, because it didn't. It still slips the same amount when it's cold. The only difference I noticed was the shifts are less harsh, which is nice. This product certainly didn't live up to the manufacturers hype in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Jet
When it's cold the transmission in my 95 Accord with 210,000 miles goes into gear hard, shifts hard, and gives me a few hundred rpm slip between shifts. Once the transmission warms up it's fine. I don't worry about it, I've put 15,000 miles on with it acting like this. My dad on the other hand almost has a conniption when ever he drives it (which is rarely).

Anyway he had to drive the Accord to work yesterday because his car was getting inspected. And he came home with a bottle of Lucas Stops Slip. I've seen it make a difference in a few customer's cars transmissions that problems from wear and tear/high mileage. Mainly it made a difference in cars with light slipping, and hard shifting.

So I'm going to give this stuff a shot in my worn out transmission. I'll post my results in this forum.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

kinda surprising....have used the Lucas line of products in many applications, granted some work better than others, however, all have worked for what i ws trying to accomplish at the time
Old 09-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Last photo:

I have never used any Lucas products, but based on what I have heard and read about them I made a recommendation to a neighbor of mine. He has a motorhome that had a small power steering leak. He asked me to take a look at it and it appeared to be a small steering shaft seal leak. I said there are some products that might be able to stop that and told him about Lucas. He took my advice and put a can of it in. Several days later I learned that his motorhome was in the shop to the tune of about $1500 in repairs to the power steering and brake hydraboost system. Turns out the Lucas power steering treatment reacted to the existing fluid and foamed. He said that within and hour of adding the stuff it was foaming out the power steering pump. The entire power steering system and the hydraboost brake system had to be flushed with several components needing to be replaced. He called Lucas and inquired about his problem, they had no suggestions, didn't even say sorry.

Vince
Old 09-06-2005, 12:38 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

I put a bottle of it in my truck cause I cant rebuild the trans right now, and it seemed to work good.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:06 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
I have never used any Lucas products.

Vince

Vince I know how well you take car of your cars, you'll never have a reason to try any of their products.

A couple weeks ago my mom's 98 Blazer (well maintained) was in the shop having a code in the transmission cleared. We also gave the place to the go ahead to change the fluid and filter. The shop called my house in the morning, I was asleep, my mom answered. They asked her if she would mind if they put a bottle of the Lucas stuff in her trans since "they recommend it with every transmission fluid change" she doesn't know any better so she told them OK. She told me about 30minutes later when I got up, I literally ran to the phone and called the shop to tell them to not put any Lucas additive in the Blazer. I didn't want that red goo going into a perfect transmission.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
I have never used any Lucas products, but based on what I have heard and read about them I made a recommendation to a neighbor of mine. He has a motorhome that had a small power steering leak. He asked me to take a look at it and it appeared to be a small steering shaft seal leak. I said there are some products that might be able to stop that and told him about Lucas. He took my advice and put a can of it in. Several days later I learned that his motorhome was in the shop to the tune of about $1500 in repairs to the power steering and brake hydraboost system. Turns out the Lucas power steering treatment reacted to the existing fluid and foamed. He said that within and hour of adding the stuff it was foaming out the power steering pump. The entire power steering system and the hydraboost brake system had to be flushed with several components needing to be replaced. He called Lucas and inquired about his problem, they had no suggestions, didn't even say sorry.

Vince
For every positive there is a negative.
For every action there is a reaction.
This is why although major oil companies make 90% of the additives on the shelves you see NONE of them have the majors name on them.
The exception is Techron about the only worthwhile one on the shelf.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:50 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

i have used the mtr,trans,p/s & rearend Lucus stuff & NEVER have had a problem. i put 250,000 PLUS on the so called junk 700r4 that was in my 84burb & for over 150,000 i pulled a fully loaded 16-18ft trailer, same this goes for my mtr. never had a foaming problem in the p/s pump & i also have a slight leak in the p/s box seal.
don't know why u have had problems but i know i have used it for over 10yrs w/great results & will continue using it when my truck start to hit the high mileage marks or start to have certain leaks...joe
Old 09-06-2005, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

I've seen excellent results with the Lucas transmission additive. One example is the caravan/voyager transmissions with the dreaded spider gear problems. these transmissions live longer with the additive, mine is proof. The spider gear assembly on this transmission design is very weak and prone to explosion if the vehicle is stuck and in a one wheel spin condition (happens many times in the UP). The additive also swells and softens seals that are drying or have been heated and are now hard. Years ago an old timer suggested regular STP oil treatment for curing a tranmission thats starting to slip and I've also seen that work quite a few times. I've never seen a lucas product foam in anything. Bob
Old 09-07-2005, 06:12 AM

Last photo:

magic

In all my many years of experience there is no magic wand(oil additives) thats will replace clutch lining and band lining. Most the time what I see these additives do is a corrosive reaction that breaks down the oil and the metal parts have a rust build up. Granted my view's are only from year's of in the field hands on after these additive had been poured in for the 6.00 to 15.00 price.

Last edited by airworld2; 09-08-2005 at 05:55 AM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.