I walked away from this car today, cash in hand. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 11:42 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I walked away from this car today, cash in hand.

I almost bought this car today.

It's a 1994 Cadillac STS, 295 horse Northstar, 79000 miles, $4800, The car was nice, loaded, road great, ran great, it was pimp and screamed from 0-60. I took it on two test drives. The guy selling it was not the owner, but was getting the money from the sale, since the guy who owned the caddy owed him money.--kinda weird. Also it had a receipt in the glove box from the $2800 rebuild the transmission needed at 62,000, also strange. I was ready to make this final though. Hell I even bought an oil filter the night before so I could change the oil in it when I brought it home. I showed up cash in my hand this afternoon (half the money I had in my savings account) We had the title out and everything, and the last second I backed out of the deal. When I left the guys house (and he as kinda mad, but who cares) I felt so relieved that I still had my money and didn't have that Cadillac. Something just didn't feel right so I went with my instinct.

And then tonight on a way to a party I notice the Honda beginning to over heat, so I check it out and its leaking anti-freeze from some place. So I let it cool off and drove it home. I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2005, 04:39 AM

Last photo:

Nothing like a gut instinct!

I have a friend that just got a deal on the exact car but silver, nice looking car but has a bad head gasket.

Saw yesterday after he pulled the engine, trany and axel all one unit.

I could not have worked on that car! Still don't know what is trans and what is engine.

Made a good move.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Good move Ghetto,

Although the Northstar cars are nice, they are very, very complicated electronically. Traditional diagnostic equipment cannot even communicate with them.

Parts are ungodly high for these babies and the Aurora engine is cramped and tough to work on.

Maybe you would have been okay, but I think you made the right move.

Go buy a beat up GEO Metro and keep your cash.

Brian
Old 08-10-2005, 09:55 PM

Last photo:

Hearing all that makes me feel better about backing out.

and the Honda was running hot because it needs a water pump. The new water pump I put on last summer didn't last long.

cheap parts house parts.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Mike thought you were gettin that bmw? Id rather have it than the caddy myself.

Brad
Old 08-11-2005, 11:44 AM

Cheap parts house parts.. heh heh.. I work at Advance and people will buy the ****tiest parts we've got just so they can save a few bucks.

They'll buy the ****ty rebuilt water pumps when they could have a brand new one from a reputable manufacturer for $10 more. Then they get mad when it starts leaking.

They'll buy the cheapest brake pads we've got even though the Bendix pads are only like $20 more and they both have a lifetime warranty. Then they wonder why their wheels are always covered in brake dust, their brakes squeal, and they have to change brake pads every 6 months.

One guy bought some Bosch Platinum plugs and some Xact (cheap, crappy, bottom of the barrel brand) plug wires to go with them.

One group of Mexican mechanics bought a GP Sorenson ignition module for a TFI-equipped Ford car against my strong recommendation not to do so, and were surprised and angry when it turned out to be a POS just like I told them it would be.

One woman was pissed because her Economy batteries (our cheapest, crappiest series of batteries) died after only a short time. She couldn't believe that a cheap battery won't last long. She thought all batteries are the same! "A battery is a battery, right?"

People continuously baffle me with their refusal to even consider buying a Superstat thermostat rather than regular one. The difference is usually $2-$5, and the benefit is quicker warmups, which results in less fuel usage (since the engine has to run rich when it's cold), and most probably would pay for itself inside of a week. I've offered this thermostat to customers many times and I've only had ONE even ask me what it was for!

One guy shied away from a pack of "Long Life" Sylvania bulbs to buy a cheap brand, to save ONE DOLLAR.

Thousands of these mother f*ckers come in to buy the cheapest part they can, then they're pissed when it leaves them on the side of the road. I swear, people are idiots. I guess they can't get it through their thick heads that good parts cost money. The best customers we've got are Mexicans. They'll come in groups of two or three at minimum, with one among them who speaks English. But when they price out a part they need, and you tell them how much it costs, they pull out their wallet and pay for it, unlike stupid rednecks that ***** "damn, it costs THAT much? that's outrageous! O'Reilly's has got it for such-and-such.. I could get one out of the junkyard for $5 less! blah blah blah".

Anyways, enough ranting, I just hate to see people blaming "cheap parts store parts" when most of the time it's their fault. Not saying you're the one at fault here because problems develop with the higher end parts too. The reason we carry the cheap *** parts though is because we'd have a total of like 5 customers if we didn't, because thats what the idiots want.

Last edited by shiftless; 08-11-2005 at 11:51 AM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 08-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftless
Cheap parts house parts.. heh heh.. I work at Advance and people will buy the ****tiest parts we've got just so they can save a few bucks.
Blah,blah,blah....
Anyways, enough ranting, I just hate to see people blaming "cheap parts store parts" when most of the time it's their fault. Not saying you're the one at fault here because problems develop with the higher end parts too. The reason we carry the cheap *** parts though is because we'd have a total of like 5 customers if we didn't, because thats what the idiots want.
So if I go into your store and I buy a...knock sensor, for example and it is the ONLY one you carry, and I take it home, put it on my truck and the computer is still showing a bad knock sensor...It's not because of a cheap part? But then I go to GM or so and buy another knock sensor,put it on and it works right...
Also about the SuperStat thing, when I managed the Advance Auto in my town, when defected them out daily, because they were junk. They don't warm the motor up any fast than a cheap thermostat...If I buy a cheap 195* thermostat, it is going to open at the same time a 'good' 195* thermostat will. 195* is 195* no matter how you look at it.

I tell you what really pisses me off about the Econo-parts Stores are the fact that they don't have anyone behind the counters that know what they are doing. God forbid they have to go to the book to look something up...or better yet actually HELP a customer find what they need.
I had to go to the parts store for some final parts for the engine in my S10(sbc) I told him I wanted 8 Delco r45ts plugs...do you think the Counter Monkey could actually walk back to the shelf and get me 8 Delco r45ts plugs?! NOPE! Had to know what they are going in to look them up.
So we go through the whole deal...we'll use DA(short for ******)
DA-What kind of vehicle do you have?
Me-89 S10
da-89...is that chevrolet?
me-yes
da-what kind of chevrolet?
me-S10
da-what size engine?
me-350
da-is that a 2.5,2.8 or 4.3?
me-neither...its a 5.7
da-I don't have that listed
me-I know, i put one in it....
da-does it run good?
me-not without spark plugs
da-what did the motor come out of?
me- An 85 S10
da- hmmmm...did they...oh, uh...where did the motor come from originally?
me- My guess is Chevrolet
da- blank stare
me- Can you do me a favor?
da-whats that?
me-walk back to the shelf right behind you, and look at the labels until you see r45ts....then pull the draw open and grab 8 of them and bring them out to me.
da-blank stare, waddles back to shelf.
da- what kind did you say again?
me- D-E-L-C-O....R-4-5-T-S....
da- how many?
me-42
da-we only have 14...
me-then just give me 8
........I think you get my point.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 08-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimer
da-blank stare, waddles back to shelf.
da- what kind did you say again?
me- D-E-L-C-O....R-4-5-T-S....
da- how many?
me-42
da-we only have 14...
me-then just give me 8
Later,
WEIMER
Ah yes, the trouble with havin 42 cylinders. No one carries enough of the plugs.

BRad
Old 08-11-2005, 02:06 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

***BACK ON TOPIC***

I think it was a good call ghetto. The 1990-1995 GM fwd cars seem to have problems; and after my bad experiences a 1994 olds 88 I'm not touching another one. On top of that 94 is the first year for the northstar right? Very complex engine & management, and you know there will be problems, the trans rebuild @ 62,000 is a tipoff.

When we were looking for a replacement for the olds, I decided on 1996-up only. OBDII became standard in 1996, which is extremely helpful in diagnosing problems since there is little special equipment necessary.

Maybe get a crown vic police interceptor with a 4.6L instead of the northstar caddy? The 3.9L V8 Lincoln LS's are nice if you want something luxury sporty.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftless
They'll buy the ****ty rebuilt water pumps when they could have a brand new one from a reputable manufacturer for $10 more. Then they get mad when it starts leaking.

I did buy the new one, it was like $42. In fact I always opt for the new part because I know the rebuilt one is extra crappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakBordr7387
Mike thought you were gettin that bmw? Id rather have it than the caddy myself.

Brad
I've added Cadillac to the list. lol
Old 08-11-2005, 05:45 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Always go with yer gut feeling. Hg

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 08-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
The guy selling it was not the owner, but was getting the money from the sale, since the guy who owned the caddy owed him money.--kinda weird.
Kinda makes me wonder if it was on the up 'n' up to start with..... good call, I can hea the call now...."hello, police? Ya, I'd like to report my caddy stolen! No, I'm not sure who took it, but it's green, low miles, and I just put a tranny in it! Please get it back!!!"
Old 08-11-2005, 05:59 PM

Last photo:

da- how many?
me-42
da-we only have 14...
me-then just give me 8
Later,
WEIMER[/QUOTE]

Weimer, that was too funny.

We have an advance store I deal with as I buy all my Mobil-1 there because they are about the cheapest and have the trans and rear lube in stock,
Well 2 years ago bought a Gel battery. Thing went dead three weeks ago with no warning, so its a 3 year replacement. Had receipt in glove box took the battery back to store. There are 5-7 people behind me in line and this dumb fat-*** starts in about I returned the battery the same day I bought it. Hard to do when I have battery in hand and receipt. It got a little nasty for about 15 minutes then some old guy came over and said, grab another battery.
Hell, I like a good argument but what got me is you could tell this jerk was pounding his chest the whole time he was talking (real ego trip) and doing it loud enough for everyone in store to hear.

There help wanted ad must say wanted dumb, stupid and rude and fat.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:41 PM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

Ghetto, What I dont get is why you walked away. It seems like a smart move, but it seems like you were commited. Did the guy say something? or what?

As for "economy" auto stores, the reason they have dumb a**es is because they pay crap. I have been sticking to "napa" these days, because the guys at napa know cars. and to work in an auto store that SHOULD be a requirement.

My dad and I were in AutoZone, looking for plugs just like Weimer, my dad was going through the same rigamarole that weimer did with "the book" My dad said at least 5 times 1969 Ford 460 ci V8 . SO finally my dads tells him to go by the number on the plug he has. So the guy goes backs, finds that he has them, He asks my dad "how many" my dad says its for a V8, the guys says " I know, how many do you need" Apparently the guy thougt "Veate" was the Model...My dad and I were laughing about that the rest of the day...
Old 08-12-2005, 03:17 PM
I Wear 1 Pair of Sox at a Time

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

after doing a water pump on a 94 i will never buy a cadillac. just another car that you cant work on. wise decision

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.