I wanna paint!!! Where do I start?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 11:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I wanna paint!!! Where do I start??

Ok, some background... I know nothing about paint other than some articles I have found and some stuff here.

I'm fairly handy with a rattle can, as I have done a few driveway repairs that look fairly good (only people that know it was done and or know what to look for can see my work) and that's my only experience.

My car is a 67 Camaro that was repainted with an unknown type of paint before I got it. It needs some minor body work (a couple of small rust bubbles, and I want to fill the antenna hole), that I can handle.

My problem starts with the existing paint, I tried to fix a small blemish a few years ago and no matter what I tried to spray on (rattle can) peeled the existing paint and primer (bubbled within a few seconds to minutes and wiped off to bare metal with a rag). I tried multiple brands and both normal and self etching primers. End result, my CD sized paint repair became 1/2 my fender...

I am planning on painting the whole car, and changing the color, but I need to know where to start.

Is there a sealer I can use to stop this peeling? Or do I need to take the whole car to bare metal? I have been told that I should leave the paint on if possible, and completely striping it would be a ton of work if I don't have to do it. Can I just strip the main surfaces and not all the nooks a crannys that never get touched (like door jambs, etc.)

Can I prime it in my garage with a rattle can? As I am planning on renting a booth and would like to do as much of the work as possible at home...

I'm not looking for a show car finish, just better than it is, and that won't be tough. I want to go a dark metallic red, but don't know if that is to much for my first try. I think (please correct me) that I have to go base / clear as you can't do a metallic with a single stage.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated...

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 03:14 AM

Last photo:

put down the rattle can and step back everything will be fine.rattle cans wont work. do you have a compressor?, spray gun?, first off id strip off that old paint who knows what that is start from bare metal this way u know what u are working with. plenty of repro parts out there for that car any bad rusted area replace with new steel look on cragslist for a used compressor, harbour freight has half decent spray guns start with that people on here can help you out as you go if you are going to rent a spray booth why cut corners and use spray cans you own a classic car treat it like one
Old 01-27-2012, 07:26 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

First thing is to invest in some decent equipment..does not need to be top of the line stuff but items that work well for the money. given the lifting problem that you have experienced I would strip the car..

Ditch those rattle cans as they have no place in painting a car..

Sam
Old 01-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

No compressor (well, a very small one but I don't think it's even close to big enough to run a spray gun), and no spray gun... What size compressor would I need? And I don't know ANYTHING about guns, what do I need??? I will probably only do this a couple times in my life, so I don't want to break the bank.... On a budget is my motto here, if I had cash to spare I would pay a pro...
Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

A little advice from my 48 years of painting.

If you aren't going to continue painting, prep it yourself, and have Schieb or someone paint it for you. It is far far cheaper than setting up to do it yourself.

If you still want to try, here is my advice. Before you even start, try to educate yourself. Buy a good book on urethane paint systems... or better yet, see if a local source, like a community college or trade school, offers a class.

There are many many things involved to keep the paint from failing... health issues... etc. etc. You need to understand how today's paint systems work, before you waste possibly hundreds of hours, or often thousands of materials dollars.... just to watch rust, adhesion problems, cracking, and more, destroy your effort.

If you go into it understanding the basic principals, and how to avoid major issues, you will be far happier with the results! Nothing hurts as bad as having to totally strip the car, and start over.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:15 AM

Last photo:

Good advice TucsonJay. I will look into that stuff. So urethane is the way to go???

Anyone have thoughts on doing the whole process is my garage??? It is attached and I have kids inside, can you ventilate well enough???
Old 01-27-2012, 09:47 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastchevy
No compressor (well, a very small one but I don't think it's even close to big enough to run a spray gun), and no spray gun... What size compressor would I need? .
two small compressors hooked together would be a cheat, to save a couple of bucks

Quote:
Anyone have thoughts on doing the whole process is my garage??? It is attached and I have kids inside, can you ventilate well enough???
there is a number of "cheap homemade garage paint booth" threads
Old 01-27-2012, 09:55 AM

Last photo:

Thanks matts, I will look into that...

Did a bit more looking and found some people talking about water based paint. Any thoughts??? My guess is clean up would be much easier, and smell would be greatly reduced...
Old 01-27-2012, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

Honestly, I would not even consider painting in an attached garage with only my dog in the house.

I strongly suggest you look up a local community college auto body program.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Thanks matts, I will look into that...

Did a bit more looking and found some people talking about water based paint. Any thoughts??? My guess is clean up would be much easier, and smell would be greatly reduced...
You need to walk before you run. If possible, start with enamels and urethanes. If you are going to use the water based paints, you're in another ball park, safety for yourself is a must, these paints can kill if the proper PPE is not implemented. Those guys don't wear moonsuits to look cool and they are not cheap.

Primer, probably the best paint a guy can learn with. Martinsr has some good basics oon how to adjust a spray gun, hang out here and learn.

Here are a few good links: "Basic of Basics" How do I paint my car myself?
http://www.spiuserforum.com/showthre...your-paint-gun
http://www.autobodystore.com/ms6.shtml

Last but not least, IMO is the best one: http://www.hotrodders.com/articles/spraygun.html
Old 01-28-2012, 07:04 AM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

well.. this is not perfect.. but this is what is set up in my garage and my dads, he is a bodyman (40+ years)
one 60-80 gallon compressor, a water seperator. and a fairly good gun for the base and clear, you can use a cheap gun for primer..
read the safety warnings. like said above these new paints are made to be nice to the earth, but not to humans (thank the epa won't you)
the moonsuits are not that much money.. you don't need pro gear thats made to last.. fresh air is a good Idea.. and there are cheap ways to get that.. dad uses a hose hooked to the outside of the garage.. I use an old small scuba tank and mouth piece..
dads is nothing more than a curled air hose hung from the rafter connected to a garden hose then out the garage,, simple and cheap.. paint fumes go outthe back fan ,fresh air from the front, away from the exhaust fan..
plastic on the walls and go..
for your first paint job, I'd stick to a solid color.. skip the metalic colors.. to easy to zebra stripe .. solid colors are easier to fix, boo boos..
if set on metalics.. get a van side from a junkard and practic on that..
get a used compressor, a new water seperator, and a gun and go nuts.. but be safe. the safety gear isn't that much.. and is cheaper than a hospital stay..
Old 02-04-2012, 05:48 PM
CQNRQY

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok, some background... I know nothing about paint other than some articles I have found and some stuff here.

I'm fairly handy with a rattle can, as I have done a few driveway repairs that look fairly good (only people that know it was done and or know what to look for can see my work) and that's my only experience.

My car is a 67 Camaro that was repainted with an unknown type of paint before I got it. It needs some minor body work (a couple of small rust bubbles, and I want to fill the antenna hole), that I can handle.

My problem starts with the existing paint, I tried to fix a small blemish a few years ago and no matter what I tried to spray on (rattle can) peeled the existing paint and primer (bubbled within a few seconds to minutes and wiped off to bare metal with a rag). I tried multiple brands and both normal and self etching primers. End result, my CD sized paint repair became 1/2 my fender...

I am planning on painting the whole car, and changing the color, but I need to know where to start.

Is there a sealer I can use to stop this peeling? Or do I need to take the whole car to bare metal? I have been told that I should leave the paint on if possible, and completely striping it would be a ton of work if I don't have to do it. Can I just strip the main surfaces and not all the nooks a crannys that never get touched (like door jambs, etc.)

Can I prime it in my garage with a rattle can? As I am planning on renting a booth and would like to do as much of the work as possible at home...

I'm not looking for a show car finish, just better than it is, and that won't be tough. I want to go a dark metallic red, but don't know if that is to much for my first try. I think (please correct me) that I have to go base / clear as you can't do a metallic with a single stage.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated...

Thanks
Nice Car
Im Glad to someone that wants to do their own work .
Theres a lot of good advise right here on this forum...Educated yourself and go for it
From what you've said about the paint thats on the car you'll have to remove it and be able to prime after. Id buy a small compressor . It'll be handy lots of other things (putting air in your kids tire if nothing else). A 1 1/2 - 3 horse would be a good start and not to much $. You'd be able to prime and finish paint small areas like the jams and other pieces (good practise for the final finish). Buy a cheap gravity fed paint gun an electrical sander, a sanding block and youre good to go (Princess Auto or CTC has some great prices .)
When youre ready to do the final paint Id rent a booth or get someone else to do the final paint since you have an attached garage... stick to the prep work at home.
Dont forget to be safe... get a good paint respirator and dust masks. Working in an attached garage posses risk to others in the house ... keep that in mind.

Last edited by CQNRQY; 02-04-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.