I want a better rear end! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 08:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I want a better rear end!

I'm having rearend problems again

I have a 8.2 right now. And after about 2 months of searching I can't get any parts for this thing. All I want right now is to get this working just as a open rear. ( Spiders fell out and can't find any that don't come with the complete diff or a whole new carrier. And they want my arm and leg for payment) Because of out of this world cost a direct bolt in 12 bolt is out of the question. So my plan was to turn to a newer style rear end out of a car/truck that is plentiful in the junkyards and that can be narrowed to the correct length if needed. I would also like it to have common posi units that are readily available.

Does anyone have any ideas about this idea? I have become frustrated trying to get parts. So it's time for a new direction. I would just like your opinions and help to find a suitable replacement.

Thanks

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2006, 08:46 PM

Ford 9 inch

Hi, I have a 1965 chevelle and I had a simmilar problem with the 8.2 that was in it. Now with 65-67or68 chevelle's, the Rear End in it is a little narrower than most other cars. I found a Ford 9 inch out of an old Bronko that was about an inch narrower than the one that was in my chevelle all that I had to do was cut it out of the bronko and buy a weld on bracket set made for my car from Currie Enterprize. Now I have a posi & I have a Bullet Proof Rear End For Street/Strip not to mention that I can put wider slicks on now because this rear end is half inch narrower on each side.

Thats what i did.

The rearend came with the posi, Axles, Brakes All I needed was the brackets for it.

JRD Modifications

OuT
Old 05-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Another vote for the 9 inch Ford ...
If you have a 67 to 69 Camaro or a 68 to 72 Nova ... a 57 to 59 Ford car rear in 1 inch per side more narrow and is almost a direct bolt in ...

Deuce
Old 05-31-2006, 04:32 PM

Last photo:

Sorry for not telling the make. It's a 72 chevelle so I think(not a 100% on this one) that it is wider than the 65- 67 rearend.

I was thinking 9 inch ford, but most likely i would have to narrow it down and get diffrent axles for it. But is there anything any newer? like say 1985 and up that could take a beating and keep on going? It doesn't have to be 1000hp suitable, but maybe 500hp on the high side. I was even toying with the idea of a jaguar rear, but that is going to be a HUGE amount of work.

What I would realy like to find is a rear that is strong, has a posi, and is close to the right width. One kind like my jeep grand cherocike ( Spelling is not my strong point) It has a posi, should be decent strong beacause it's behind a 318. Any other donor ideas?

Thanks

John
Old 05-31-2006, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

Better rear end

Why not look for a 12 bolt posi out of another chevelle. I believe 68 to 72 should be the same.
Kim
Old 06-01-2006, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

Kim57 - I am looking for one, but they are not too many around. And the last one I have seen was $1000 and it needed 2 axles and total rebuild from end to end. So that was going way out of my price range.

And Right now I have more time then money and a couple of taken apart 8.2 rear ends with good brackets that i can weld on a different rear end.

Any more ideas. I'm open to hearing anything.

Thanks
John
Old 06-01-2006, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

Between the rears that you now have, are there enough internal gears to make one complete one? If not, are there any U-pull wrecking yards near you where you could yank what you need?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

Have you checked Tom's Differentials or drive train specialities?

I see parts for 8.2 axles in jeg's and summit racing every issue.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:03 AM
72 Nova, 65 Rambler, 37 Chevy

Last photo:

Why not a 8.5 in???? Those are just about as strong as a 12 bolt and can find em easily(check out "Build a 10-bolt on a Budget" of Car Craft March '06 issue). I would think it would go right into place of the 8.2....not sure on a chevelle tho
Old 06-02-2006, 07:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrant
Why not a 8.5 in???? Those are just about as strong as a 12 bolt and can find em easily(check out "Build a 10-bolt on a Budget" of Car Craft March '06 issue). I would think it would go right into place of the 8.2....not sure on a chevelle tho
I'm a big fan of the 8.5 because they are still made for use in trucks. 12-bolts haven't been made in decades.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:29 PM

Last photo:

Great minds think a like

I was looking for some of the interchange parts for my 8.2 rearend and I see that the axles for my chevelle are the same as camaro and fire bird from 71-80. With that little tidbit of info I got thinking that if the axles interchange shouldn't the over all width be the same or close? Does any one have any measurement on a camaro rear? I have no problem swapping over some bracket's and that should be a little bit easier tracking down a posi unit.

I have been told that my 8.2 should handle any power that I make, But if parts are this hard to find now what will they be like down the road??

I think that I need to do some more research on the subject. I think that I might be tracking down a rear end from a camaro and putting it in my chevelle. But how does that sound as a plan? Any other do's or don'ts? Or any other experiences with 8.5 rear?

By the way I couldn't find the car craft article online, but i did find this chevy high performance article on the 8.5 here10 Bold Upgrade

Thanks again

John
Old 06-05-2006, 02:44 PM

Last photo:

John, why not weld up the gears on your 12 bolt to get it going for now? That will save you a lot of money up front so you can save a little more and get a really nice rear end for some more power later on, and while you are saving you will not lose any money to get it on the road now, plus with it welded up it will have some traction... but if you don't have any experience with welded rear ends do a little research and let us know what you think....
Old 06-05-2006, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

Well I have a little experience with rears that are welded up, but I don't really want to do that because if i do the street ability will go down the tubes. I have a 10 bolt that I have put together kinda and it now moves. But this fix that I have now will not last for any length. I was looking for a rear that can take a good beating, common in the junkyards and pieces are plentiful.

One option is to get a locker/posi for my 8.2 and go, but seeing the problems that i have had looking for spiders. Makes me wonder if it is worth it? But the 8.5 is more plentiful and I have better odds of finding a posi.

As always I have more time and skills than money. That article made me wonder because they have created a rear that is good for under 200 bucks.

Thanks

John
Old 06-05-2006, 10:27 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Have you read this?
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...518/index.html
Old 06-14-2006, 07:55 AM

You might look at a rear end out of a ford explorer. They are about 60 inches wide probably the same as the 71 Chevelle??? They are 8.8 rears so they should hold up to some abuse. They are easy to get in posi and low gears also. Shoot you can get the later model ones with disc brakes too. Another option woul dbe to look for a 10 bolt out of a Monte Carlo SS 80's vintage or a 10 bolt out of an S-10 (has to be an "extreme" because those are 8.2 I believe, the regular S-10 are 7.5).

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.