i want to ditch the bench seat in my 81 bonneville for 2 buckets... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 08:16 PM

Last journal entry: project : 81 bonneville cruiser
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i want to ditch the bench seat in my 81 bonneville for 2 buckets...

any one ever done that . . or would know of any after market seats that would work . . .what kind of car could i take seats from that would fit??.... please help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

This is a common, and recurring question, and we need to set the record straight. Car seats are not exact fits for only the cars they come in. Car seats are stock and standard widths and heights except for the following variations. A larger, wider car probably has bigger, wider seats in it. A smaller car probably has smaller, narrower seats in it. A medium size car with a medium size width probably has medium size seats in it. The only difference in like sized cars is that the mounting brackets have been changed to make the seat sit correctly in the car. Think about this:........Cars are mass produced. The seat frame in a car does not change much from model year to model year, except to change the fabric, the style, or the color of the fabric, just like living room furniture.

The only thing you need to concern yourself with in deciding what seats to put in your car (truck) are: 1) Do I like the look of the seat? 2) Will the seat fit in my car? 3) How do I modify the mounting brackets, or create mounting brackets, so that the seat sits up high enough to give me the proper sight line to see while I'm driving?
How do you do that? Go to a salvage yard with a tape measure and measure the seats in several different vehicles side to side and front to rear to see if it will fit in the vehicle you want to put it in. If you like the style of the seat, and you like the color of the seat, and the seat will fit in your vehicle, you have found your seat. The only thing left is to modify the mounting brackets so you can see out of the windshield while you're driving.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:45 AM

Well put Dantwolakes. I didnt do the measuring thing but luckily it worked out for me i put seats from a 92 prelude in my 77 nova. It took some cutting and welding to make the brackets but they are so comfy. The best thing about hot rodding is you can do what ever your imagination allows you to do. There are no limits.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Tinman: Those Honda and Toyota bucket seats are really nice. The bracket modification is a small price to pay to get great seats. Almost any salvage yard has those leather buckets at about $125 apiece. Do you have any pictures?

Old 07-19-2007, 07:06 AM

No im afraid not but i could take some and learn how to post them here. My seats are cloth and i gave $100 for both seats. And they were inside at the yard almost like a show room type thing they had racks and racks of seats to choose from. I chose these for color and comfort i didnt want to get them reupolstered. My bracket issue was the floor isnt flat it had some contour so i basically made some mounts using flat bar to make a square tubing one piece at a time so i could get the contour right welded the top piece on with a nut welded on the bottom. And wekded the whole thing to the floor. The only other thing i had to do was bend the bracket in the front on the seat. I probably didnt have to but i did. Ill see what i can do in the week to come about getting some pictures.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Sounds like you got a great deal. It's not hard to post pictures, but they need to be re-sized to be small enough to post. Check out the free picture software Picasa 2 available at the Google website. This software automatically organizes all the pictures on your computer and allows you to edit the pictures you download including re-sizing. http://picasa.google.com/

Old 07-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Blood, Sweat, and Gears!

Last photo:

not the exact same car, but i changed out the split bench in an 83 delta 88 one time for a set of swivel buckets that i was told were out a 70's monte carlo. the front bolt holes lined up perfectly however the back ones were in the wrong place.
I wish i had of taken some pictures of it but the seats fit the car perfectly

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.