Hot Rod Forum banner

I want to hear a duntov 30 30 cam

37K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  dr.olds1 
#1 ·
I have heard alot about this cam and how it was awesome back in the day for the way it sounded. I am building a 34 coupe and I want a good sounding cam to put in it. PLEASE someone post a video of what this cam sounds like. I have found a couple on the net but they didn't sound good so help me out.

#2 ·
30/30 Duntov is a solid lifter camshaft that was Factory in the Camaro Z/28 302 engines. it's not a cam that is commonly used anymore, altho it is still available.. if you really want to hear a sample, search Youtube for 1967-1969 Z/28 Camaro's as those are the cars that would have them

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
I have a Comp Cams # 12-309-4, grind # 284S-10 in a 350. It is there Magnum Muscle version of the Z-28 cam. It sounds great through 2.5" pipes & 2 chamber flowmaster. I am running Hedman Elite headers as well.
You need about 10.25 - 10.5 static compression to realize the potential of this cam. It has about 64 degrees of overlap.
I don't have a way to post a sound bite.

#8 ·
Yeah I listen to a few of them last night. I just want one to really rumble the ground. I will be running a 5 speed so I wont have to worry about a stall converter. I had a reed cam in my other car, had around 480 lift and it sounded good but I like trying different stuff.

#9 ·
A guy at work much older than myself claims that his engine guy just installed this cam in a 66 Impala with a 327, powerglide and stock gears. Aparently he wanted his Imp to sound just like my coworkers Nova. Witch is also a 327 with worked double humps 4 speed and 3:73's I was like "that should run great" :confused:

#10 ·
If your looking for more sound than anything else use the comp mother thumper cams. They sound killer but there not much else. If your looking for both then any cam from Isky, comp, crane, lunati,, will all give a lope, just read the instruction on the cam, they all tell you what it idles like.

#11 · (Edited)
Tubbed71 said:
I have heard alot about this cam and how it was awesome back in the day for the way it sounded. I am building a 34 coupe and I want a good sounding cam to put in it. PLEASE someone post a video of what this cam sounds like. I have found a couple on the net but they didn't sound good so help me out.
The exhaust system has as much to do w/the sound as anything. If its stopped up w/small diameter exhaust and tail pipes, it'll always sound like crap, IMHO.

This is also just my opinion, but I'm a firm believer that you build the engine to suit the purpose that you have for it, and let the "sound" and HP levels fall where they may.

To build an engine just for the way it sounds is- in a lot of cases- the recipe for disaster. You could end up w/a poser engine that barks but has no teeth. And it will get its *** handed to it by a tamer-sounding but properly spec'ed combo.

If sound IS the main thing, the suggestion of the thumper line of cams might make sense for you. They are a much simpler way of getting a lope than a solid lifter cam.

#13 ·
cobalt327 said:
......but I'm a firm believer that you build the engine to suit the purpose that you have for it, and let the "sound" and HP levels fall where they may.

To build an engine just for the way it sounds is- in a lot of cases- the recipe for disaster. You could end up w/a poser engine that barks but has no teeth. And it will get its *** handed to it by a tamer-sounding but properly spec'ed combo.
What he said.....

#14 ·
30-30 Duntov

The "trick " to get a lumpy idle is....tight Lobe Seperation Angle.LSA 106-108. The circle track guys run cams like this and you KNOW what they sound like. Lift don't have a darn thing to do with it. Duration does if its long enough. Look at Comp Cams circle trakc cams. Isky has cams with a tight LSA. Different cam grinders have different "ideas" about ow much is too much! The down side.....need a small torque convertor if you expect it to idle "in gear"Stick shift don't matter. Power brakes need a cetain amount of vacuum to work right. You will need a vacuum storage tank/canister if you run powwr brakes. The way they spit and stumble(a GOOD thing!!) you would do well to run more CR(and matbe more gear) so you won't loose a bunch of bottom end below 1500rpm. Above that...it should start picking up and TAK'IN off! Good low end but all done around 5500/6000rpm. The way I drive...thats plenty of rpm for the street. Solid lifters will give you that clack'in if you want it. Maybe a gear-drive too if you like that"busy-sound" under the hood. I have a gear drive and it sounds like a water pump going bad......I'm jus'say'in!
230/240duration@.050 and 106/108 LSA and ask much or little lift as your engine can take. It will sound like a cross between an old Vet and a pro-mod..with Flowmaster 40's and a 2.5" exhaust system. Delta Cams will custom grind you a cam for less than comp cam will sell one. I have HEARD good reports about them but have NOT tryed thier stuff yet. Quoted me a price UNDER $200.00 for a new roller for my Mustang. Best price so far.
6sally6

#15 ·
Don't know if anyone is still watching this thread but this is a note I've had on my Ebay watching list for a while. This guy knows his thumpers and retro sounding stuff. I've ordered custom grinds from him twice. Happy both times. I know he can beart a 30/30.

ROLLER CAM RE-GRIND SERVICE $100.00... MIDWAY CAMS IN PENNSYLVANIA
Cams & Components custom grinds camshafts at the same location in Mt. Carmel Pa. Phone, (570)-339-2411, (570)-339-5913,

#16 ·
DoubleVision said:
If your looking for more sound than anything else use the comp mother thumper cams. They sound killer but there not much else. If your looking for both then any cam from Isky, comp, crane, lunati,, will all give a lope, just read the instruction on the cam, they all tell you what it idles like.
Do not know anything about that mother thumper, just heard the name reticently and was thinking .. sound and not much more .

Personally not crazy on the comp, however the other brands mentioned with some specs in the neighborhood of .515 lift and 290 duration, will give you an idle around 900 rpms with a nice robust sound ...... and as a side benefit performance. You will want larger springs in the heads .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.