I want more power on blown 383 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 05:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I want more power on blown 383

First off I want to thank everyone that takes the time to look this over , It is rather long .This is my First gound up supercharged motor and am trying to get the long block in at around 6K and want it right , I am a detail oreinted person
The only thing I already have is the small supercharger and the oil pan that will fit my nova . I am looking for suggestions on how to get some more power out of this build , this is on pump gas in a 63 nova . 350 trans with a shift kit and continental 3000 stall convertor with ford 9 inch with 3.9s. I belive the rear gears will need to be changed as I will run out of gear before I run out of track . This is a mostly street driven car with some track time.

Would a larger intake runner and valve make any real difference with the supercharger ?
The cam was recommended by the guy on the comp cams tech line , I dont have much confidence in this guy as he did not sound to sure of himself .

Using engine analizer pro
It comes out as torque of 575 @3000 rpm and stays 575-585 til 4600 then drops slowly to 430 @ 6400
Hp comes out as 327 @ 3000 then climbs to a peak of 535 @ 6000 and then at 6400 its 523
the build itself is
Chevy 383 small block
4 bolt studed mains
3.750 stroke 4340 eagle crank
6 h beam eagle 4340 rods
Deck clearance .016
-16cc dish Mahl pistons , coated gapless rings
Hp coated bearings
Coated cam bearings
Digital balance
Dart pro 1 aluminum heads 72cc chamber and 200cc runners 2.02 intake and 1.6 exhaust p/n 11411112p
Compcams (from their tech line)12-419-8 lift 520/540 duration @.05 236/248 113 lobe separation 5 degree advance (ground in setup straight up) small base circle cam . Lifters 987-16 and 853 links (double check this cam)
Roller rockers 1.5
Holley double 750 pumper from the carb shop , flows 930cfm
Weiand 144 supercharger with manifold, making about 7.5lbs of boost
Milodon hv oil pump
Msd retard box
Msd 6al ignition
Head gasket compressed to .040

Advertisement

Last edited by smokin63; 03-03-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 06:22 PM

Supercharges and turbocharges like different cams than naturally aspirated engines. I would look at the gm/chevy sections of www.turbomustangs.com forum lots of good info. I'm sure you can find some good threads on cam selection. Its always best to check with people who have built many many boosted engines. You don't need to ask. There will be 50 noobs before you who asked the same damn question. Theres prolly even a cam sticky with all you want to know about GM/Chevy boosted cam selection. With forced induction intake, runner, and valves will make less of a difference but matter still. The right cam is very important. As always if you want low-mid range torque smaller runners and valves.. max high RPM HP larger runners and valves. Its a small supercharger, I imagine its losing efficiency at the high hp and rpms you ran that evaluation at. Those heads are more than you need for those hp numbers with a supercharger.. The lob seperation might be close to what you want.. 112-113 range sounds familiar... Make sure you get the right size pulley on that supercharger for your engine size, rpm range, and HP goals. You don't need all that money spent to max out that blower on a smallblock chevy IMHO.. I could be wrong on the 144 weiland max capability. What are your goals for HP? rpm range? 383 with a blower have tons of torque.. with that blower possibly losing efficeincy about 600hp above 5-6k rpm might think lowering the gear ratio a bit would be a good idea? better gas mileage too.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:53 PM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:

stay away from comp cams for blower motors
ISKy and crane have the correct grinds for blowers
comp cams has never gave me or anyone i know really good tech service and advice.
cam is the single most important item in a blown motor besides compression and intake runner volume (pack more air/fuel in etc).
also what is your static and dynamic compession ratio?
also something to concider is exhaust restictions will dampen the upper end.
(packin all that air/fuel in exhaust gotta leave just as easy)
I would also go with a MSD 6BTM box for adjustability and ease of installation.

heres a few pics of my project last fall
1200 hp 1092 trq 355 alcohol fed aluminum block

Last edited by dawg; 03-03-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:17 AM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:

let me know if ya need more help.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:39 PM

I believe he has only bought the blower and oil pan>?

Depending on his prefered driving and use of vehicle would dictate what parts to put in the long block etc. What kind of power level are you looking for?

I would research the capability of that supercharger for flow and more boost?

dawg that supercharge makes that small block look tiny! awesome looking blower!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the help
Actually I forgot in my original post that I already have the ignition system ,retard box ,and distributor they are on the motor that is currently in the car .
The car is going to be street driven and raced at the track . I would like to set it up for close to the max street power with a margin for safety .
The motor is going to be setup with 8.5:1 compression , I think I can run about 7lbs of boost and still be on pump gas .
I am thinking of having 2 setups , one for the street and pump gas and one for the strip with race gas . I think I can get around 12 lbs of boost with this blower . I am not sure what to call redline or even how to establish a number ? The blower is currently at Supercharger USA , When Tim is done I will ask him were the effeciency of the blower drops off .
Here is the car the engine will go in .

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by smokin63; 03-04-2008 at 09:58 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.