Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I want to put my car on a diet. Who has done this, starting weight? Ending weight?
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 08:08 AM
If it doesn't fit force it!

Wiki Edits: 0

I want to put my car on a diet. Who has done this, starting weight? Ending weight?

I'm deciding to put my Monte Carlo on a diet. Recently took a trip to local landfill to borrow there scale for a minute. My car weighed 3800lbs with me in it. I'm a buck-75. That puts the car @ 3625lbs. Still heavy I'd say. I never considered how much exrta stuff I had in the car. I mean cargo. The trunk is used for storing old parts and unused stuff, broken posi, new kyb's, another battery, factory starter, and so on. Well, I had 325lbs of cargo. I had no idea that stuff weighed that much. Once removed, the gross weight is 3300lbs. That is better that I thought. Up until now,it was believed by me that these cars are heavy, and there is nothing that can be done about it. I am now wanting to removing more weight from the car. Fiber glass hood to replace metal one, get rid of the power bench seat, I'm sure it weighs at least 125lbs.
What is solid hotrod gross weight? Is lighter better?
What have some of you done to shed weight? Would love to hear some stories and advice.