Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - I want to put my car on a diet. Who has done this, starting weight? Ending weight?
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 01:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It just depends on how crazy you want to get an how "un-user friendly" you are willing to deal with.

Tubular upper control arms are lighter then stock. You could also ditch the sway bar if you aren't concerned with cornering (or crutch it with stiffer springs). Yank the entire dash all the way to the firewall and make a barebones aluminum dash panel. Seats would be a biggy. Also get rid of your hood pivot / spring assemblies and make it a lift off fiberglass piece. Aluminum water pump is a few pounds and cheap, mini-starter also takes weight off the nose and is a good bang for the buck. Biggest weight saver off the front would be aluminum heads and intake - also dump cast iron manifolds if you have them and go to headers. Calipers can be purchased that are aluminum instead of cast iron. Replace the bumper with an aluminum one if possible. If it's a metric car some of them were built with aluminum core supports - you could find one of those and also go to an aluminum radiator.

I'd be more concerned with nose weight then tail weight - most rear wheel drive cars are already pretty front weight biased.

Good luck with your project and think twice before making any "weight reductions" you can't easily put back if you miss them!