Hot Rod Forum banner

I want to start my rebuilt 350 but can't!!!

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mertz 
#1 ·
First thanks everyone on helping me through my tough times with this project. I am new to this and need all the help I can get. First How do i install the distributor cap?? I know pistion 1 has to be up but how do i tell?? 2) How tdo I go about starting the car up for the first time?? Steps would be nice. and 3)Whats the hp on a 350 small block chevy rebuilt with a 30 over bore and a stock 4 bbl quadrajet?? What do u think it will have. Just a basic rebuilt kit in it with so called Performance Parts. Thanks alot and keep the answers coming.

#2 ·
Dist.installation bring your harmonic balancer to zero looking at your rocker arms on number one cylinder if they are loose not pushing the valves open your on number one.if they are pushing the valves open rotate one turn back to zero.point rotor at about 4 oclock and drop in should end up at about 5 0clock on a electronic ign.12 oclock would be at the fire wall. (on a point dist. rotor points at about 7 0clock)you may need to turn your oil pump shaft also pointing at 4 0clock using a long screw driver and flash light to see down in the motor.hope this isnt to confusing.If everythings adjusted fire it up and run at about 2000 rpms for 30 minutes.Hp not enough info.good luck (wrenchturner) ;) :D

#3 ·
You might want to consider pre-oiling the engine first if has sat for a long time. The way I do it in my coravir it to take and old distributor and set it in the slot and turn it with a drill attached to the shaft. I remove the drive gear first and all the counter weights. If nothing else pump it up with the oil pump by cranking the engine a fewtimes with the coil wire off until you see some oil preasure on the guage.

Also it is important to run the engine at 2000 rpm for 20 to 30 minutes. Don't be afraid that it will blow up it will be fine and will help set the rings, etc. After you have it on the road drive it a varying speeds. Don't set at 50 and run it for a half hour. Go from 40 to 60 to 50 to 30 to 70 and so on.

You can maually set your timing if you don't have a timing light. The dist. should now be at TDC or zero if you did it right as mention above. Rotate the engine by hand either with the belt of a wrench on the damper so that the timing mark aligns with the timing at which you want to set the engine, say 10 degrees BTC. Pull the #1 wire and fined a place to ground it so that there is a small gap to arch across. Turn on the iginition but not far enough to rotate the engine. Now turn the distributor in the opposite direction that your rotor turns when the engine is running. Most turn clockwise so turn it counterclockwise until you see a spark at the gap of the plug you pulled. (It is easiest if you turn the dist. all the way in a clockwise direction first.) That will set you up at 10 BTC. You might have to go back and forth a few times until you get it right. If you get spark going in the wrong direction your timing will be way off. The spark has to occur just as the rotor is hitting the contact on the cap as if the engine were running.

Hope this helps and was not to confusing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.