I want to use an american flag for my headliner, glue? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2004, 01:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I want to use an american flag for my headliner, glue?

The headliner in my 1987 Thunderbird is starting to tear up, and I want to put in a big american flag in its place. The headliner seems to be a board with foam on it then a soft light material on top of that. I did a search and found out that 3M Super Trim Adhesive #08090 is good, but is stong enough to hold up a flag? I think the flag is heavier than regular headliner material, and made of different material. I've never done any work with headliners before, but I want to do this myself and I don't want to take it to a pro.

here are some pictures of my headliner as it is now:

Russel

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Chevy SS

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i dunno... but i like that idea with the flag hope it works out
Old 08-08-2004, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

No! No! No! No! No! No!

Please, rethink this. I am all for patriotism, but that crosses the line. Go to Wal-Mart or some places that sells fabric and get something with a patriotic pattern. I actually have been thinking of doing it myself. "Flag-like" yes! A real flag

As far as glue, JC Whitney sells the best stuff that I have found, believe it or not. Just make sure is specifies "for use on headliners". Learned the hard way on that one.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:52 AM
Last photo:

You better think again, that is against the U.S. Flag code. Check it out for yourself.

http://www.usflag.org/us.code36.html

Vince
Old 08-11-2004, 07:00 PM

Politics aside, it normally doesn't work. A good quality spray glue will seep through the flag material. Practice by trying to wet one side of a piece of toiletpaper, and let us know how you do.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:

isnt it like illegal to cut up or destroy a flag? not hating on ure idea i think its a cool idea im sure they sell a stars and stripes pattern somewhere mabey try http://www.joannfabric.com
Old 08-20-2004, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1Fast65Elky
isnt it like illegal to cut up or destroy a flag? not hating on ure idea i think its a cool idea im sure they sell a stars and stripes pattern somewhere mabey try http://www.joannfabric.com
No under the first amendment you can do what you wish. I do not have a problem using a flag as a head liner, you are using it in a respectful way, not burning it or defacing it in any way. Plus it was made in China anyway so how much does a cheap flag have to do with being a "REAL" flag?
Old 08-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Last photo:

Check the U.S. Flag code in the link above. There are rules for the use of the U.S. Flag. Of course you can hide behind the first ammendment argument, and hope no one takes you to court over it. A few years ago at the local university a student was using the flag for a window curtain. He caught living hell over it. He was a flaming liberal and tried using the first ammendment issue. The university officials tried to get him to take it down, but he refused, claiming it was his right to do what he wished. Only after the county DA got involved, as well as several veterans groups he finally took it down. The convincing argument was when the DA showed him the U.S. Flag code.

Legal issues aside, being a vet, I think it is disrespectful to use the flag in this manner. I know if I saw a car at a show that was using it like this. I would have to say something to the owner...that is just me

Vince
Old 08-21-2004, 08:16 PM

As a Vet you fought for his right to do what he wished with a flag, it's called freedom. As for hiding behind your rights????? When freedom is taken away you are no longer free. So before we get bent out of shape over what a person is doing with a flag remember you are taking away rights!

Again I have trouble with getting bent over a made in China flag.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Last photo:

Old 08-23-2004, 12:56 AM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

I agree with the patriotic themed fabric from Wallace Mart... I don't think the flag will form and fit well enough to make a nice job. You do have some tight rolls and turns towards the front where the sunvisors are. Don't use the crappy adhesive in the spray can. Get the blue or green adhesive from an upholstery shop. You'll need a paint gun to spray it though. I can show you pictures of the headliners I've done if you need to see the process I use.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:52 AM

Last photo:

i love the idea for a flag head liner. but
in the flag codes listed above
((f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling. )

all that aside if it is a cheap flag from china i say go for it
i have a american flag tattoo on my left arm parallel to
my heart
Old 09-02-2004, 02:16 PM

I'm not for burnig flags or trampling on them. I don't understand how when the first ammendment protects our right to burn a flag as a form of free speech, if we wanted to, but the flag code says :
Quote:
While the Code empowers the President of the United States to alter, modify, repeal or prescribe additional rules regarding the Flag, no federal agency has the authority to issue 'official' rulings legally binding on civilians or civilian groups.
or the case you also cited

Quote:
A few years ago at the local university a student was using the flag for a window curtain. He caught living hell over it. He was a flaming liberal and tried using the first ammendment issue. The university officials tried to get him to take it down, but he refused, claiming it was his right to do what he wished. Only after the county DA got involved, as well as several veterans groups he finally took it down. The convincing argument was when the DA showed him the U.S. Flag code.
I have great respect for the flag and would never wear it, burn it, stomp on it, use it as a headliner or here's an example that gets me have a US flag doormat(wipe your feet on the flag).
But how can you tell some one they can't do what they want to when that right is protected by the first ammendment.
Would the first ammendment not stand up in court as why you wouldn't take down your flag? If so then what good are our constitutional rights?
Old 09-07-2004, 08:29 AM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

I don't think it matters where the flag is made( China, Taiwan, USA, etc),
it has all to do with what the flag represents and all the men and women that died for it.

Just be prepared to take some flack from vets at car shows.....

C
Old 09-07-2004, 09:53 AM

Whether the flag is a 4" little flag being handed out in a parade or a full size flag outside the post office, it is the flag of the United States of America.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

But then you have the Flag Protection Act of 1989 which criminalizes any citizen who "knowingly mutilates, defaces, physically defiles, burns, maintains on the floor or ground, or tramples upon" a United States flag, except in relation to the disposal of a "worn or soiled" flag.

The government appealed the United States v. Eichman case to the Supreme Court in 1990.

The SC decided 5-4 that the Flag Protection Act was in fact unconstitutional and that flag burning is a protected form of expression under Amendment 1.

From Justice Stevens dissenting opinion:
"By burning the embodiment of America's collective commitment to freedom and equality, the flag burner charges that the majority has forsaken that commitment -- that continued respect for the flag is nothing more than hypocrisy. Such a charge may be made even if the flag burner loves the country and zealously pursues the ideals that the country claims to honor."

Now, understand while you may be protected under the constitution, this in no way protects you from an *** whupping.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.