I went to Infineon raceway for the NASCAR races yesterday. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,124 Times in 998 Posts
I went to Infineon raceway for the NASCAR races yesterday.

Well, yesterday I went to Infineon Raceway http://www.infineonraceway.com/ for the Savemart 350. Well actually the Bluelizard 200 Winston West race is what I saw, the Savemart 350 was today. I watched it from my couch. Anyway, it was a darn good time. If any of you haven't gotten out to Sonoma to see one it was pretty cool. I have to see one on the big banked oval though! The "seats" were hard as a rock (well, they WERE contrete) and there is a LOT of down time between events, bring a pad to sit on and a deck of cards. Oh yeah, and bring LOTS of drinks and food or LOTS of money. Four small bottles of Sprite and two bottles of water cost me $24.00. Anyway, it was a great time with my boy and my nephew.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 10:37 PM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

I got to go and hang out there during qualifying for a cup race back in 1997. I really enjoyed being able to just walk around and take in all the different vantage points. Really nice facility. If you have a decent camera there are some great vantage points for souvenir pictures.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I have pictures from the exact same area, and several others, during a Cup race in 1991. I will have to see if I can find them and post a couple to show the changes over the years.
They have made many improvements since I was last there. The only one I don't like was when they shortened the course.
It is nice they will let you take drinks in there. I used to have season tickets to KC, but let them go, too greedy. You couldn't even walk through the gate with a bottle of water.
Cool, that you had a good time.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:30 PM

Last photo:

I am surprised this thread hasn't been filled with the old nascar sucks routine. I was at MIchigan last weekend and had a blast. I was watching on TV yesterday wondering what it would be like to be at a road course. Is it as good as an oval?
Old 06-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCMudbogger
I am surprised this thread hasn't been filled with the old nascar sucks routine. I was at MIchigan last weekend and had a blast. I was watching on TV yesterday wondering what it would be like to be at a road course. Is it as good as an oval?
I don't think the ovals can compare to a road course, something about seeing a 3400lb car on two wheels coming off of the rumble strips in the turns. Turning left and right, running through the gears.
From 1986 through 2004 my wife and I went to at least one race a year. Then along came Brian France and it went to cr-p, lucky dogs, chase for the championship, car of tomorrow's, cars with nothing in common with the showroom vehicles, and out with the racing/in with the entertainment, and I could go on. On a scale of 1 to 10, my interest is now a 2 when it used to be a 10. I now have a lot more interest in sports car racing.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:10 PM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCMudbogger
I am surprised this thread hasn't been filled with the old nascar sucks routine.

And now you've opened the floodgates.

But seriously from what I saw at the road course it is a lot of fun to watch but you need to find the right corner for good passing action and since you can't see all the track there are a few dead spots, til they spread out a bit. Really cool seeing those cars tossed around like they do.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

By the last laps of the race they were getting pretty agressive! They had caution after caution and by the end nearly ever car was beat to hell!

Brian
Old 06-26-2007, 06:25 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I keep saying that I want to go to Watkin's Glen but the access via our 'great' NY State highway system is so poor that all I can imagine is being stuck for hours on one of the two 2 lanes leading into that area or being grid locked by one of the three, I believe, traffic lights in the village. Since it is in the NY Finger Lakes wine country, my wife and I usually go wine tasting yearly on a non race weekend - though we did see part of a sporty car event with virtually no spectators a couple of years ago. It is in a beautiful setting and even has trees and farmland bordering the track which from all appearances, are absent at Sonoma.
Dave
Old 06-26-2007, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

You can see the view from your seats at Sears point, not that great, but not bad either. Now, just a little out of the sight of the camera in these shots, some of the most stunning views on earth. I used to go to many of the towns in this area on business. I never got tired of coming from the bottom of Clear lake, right as you crest the hills you get a view out across hundreds of acres of vinyards, just beautiful. This is all just a hop skip and a jump from the track. In fact, the nephew that I took had never been over there. I took him the other route back home where you go over and meet hwy 101 in San Rafeal. You pass a number of small dairy farms and just beautiful scenery. Then over the San Rafeal bridge at the top of the SF bay looking out across it to the SF skyline....I never get tired of the sights around here. It is a beautiful place.

Brian

Click here for Autumn in the California wine country.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:53 AM

Great pics MARTINSR,

I have been going to Kansas Speedway for the past 6 years with side trips to Vegas, Daytona.

Glad to know there are some other round-de-round fans.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:

[QUOTE=MARTINSR]You can see the view from your seats at Sears point, not that great, but not bad either. Now, just a little out of the sight of the camera in these shots, some of the most stunning views on earth. I used to go to many of the towns in this area on business. I never got tired of coming from the bottom of Clear lake, right as you crest the hills you get a view out across hundreds of acres of vinyards, just beautiful. This is all just a hop skip and a jump from the track. In fact, the nephew that I took had never been over there. I took him the other route back home where you go over and meet hwy 101 in San Rafeal. You pass a number of small dairy farms and just beautiful scenery. Then over the San Rafeal bridge at the top of the SF bay looking out across it to the SF skyline....I never get tired of the sights around here. It is a beautiful place.

Brian

Brian,
I'm not "picking" on the track - it's just that when the cameras pan the track it looks very stark and dry. Since I have actually been to the Napa Valley (an Easterner admitting to have been to the West Coast !!) am aware of its beauty. The attached show some of the Watkin's Glen area.

http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/watkins.shtml

Dave
Old 06-26-2007, 08:45 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
I don't think the ovals can compare to a road course, something about seeing a 3400lb car on two wheels coming off of the rumble strips in the turns. Turning left and right, running through the gears.
From 1986 through 2004 my wife and I went to at least one race a year. Then along came Brian France and it went to cr-p, lucky dogs, chase for the championship, car of tomorrow's, cars with nothing in common with the showroom vehicles, and out with the racing/in with the entertainment, and I could go on. On a scale of 1 to 10, my interest is now a 2 when it used to be a 10. I now have a lot more interest in sports car racing.

I am basically in the same boat. Used to love to watch it, but now..... well....

However, I have gained some interest back in roundy-round racing. A local (within an hour of where I grew up anyway) kid is making some pretty big waves in the ARCA Series. We drive past his team shop nearly every time we go to my old area. For only being 20, and a sophomore year driver in the ARCA series, I'd say Dexter Bean will go on to become a fixture in the sport of auto racing. He led the most laps, and went on to finish second in Pocono a few weeks ago.

In a while, Chet.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8

I watched on TV.... I watch everything with 4 wheels that races, and I have to say that was the best race I have seen in a couple years. It was fun to watch the better all-round racers slowly rise to the top....

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.