I wonder if this is some new kind of internet scam. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

I wonder if this is some new kind of internet scam.

I wonder if this is some new kind of internet scam that I haven't heard of. I have been selling things on the internet for a number of years now and I like to think that I am pretty good at weeding out the bogus offers. Sometimes lately I have been thinking that I am a little too inclined to find something wrong with the deal but if something just doesn't sound right I don't want to waste my time on it. I don't care what you are selling but as long as it is not new I feel that the first questions should be about that object. another clue is these people have a hard time with spelling. All of the successful sales I have made on the internet have begun with questions from the interested party about the condition of said item. If someone goes right to the price of the item I get suspicious. So far my instinct has kept me safe from all the scams that seem so prevalent on the internet.

So to try to get to the point, if that is even possible for me at this time since I have been up since 4:00am. I listed a car on ebay a couple of days ago just to see if anyone wanted the thing worse than I did. anyhow according to the ebay counter, the number of people watching and the number of hits on my website referred from that particular ebay page it must be somewhat of a popular model.

So tonight I finally get home after a long day and I check out the auction as I am eating my supper after 10:00pm and I see I have a number of questions and among them there is this one, "HI, WHAT WOULD IT TAKE TO BUY TH IS CAR IM FROM DES MOINES THAHK YOU.". So my hackles come up at this point and my bogus-o-meter starts to awaken.

My son gets home from the football game at this point and I show the question to him and we decide that maybe this guy should have spent a little more time in the Des Moines school system.

Anyhow, my son goes off to bed and I start sending a form-type response to all these people who sent questions today since I did not have the time for an appropriate response but I did not want them to feel that I was ignoring them.

Than my cell phone rings and it is the communication-challenged person from Des Moines. He says, "hello I am from Des Moines and I want to buy your car tonight. I sent you a question from ebay a half an hour ago but you have not answered me." Now I am thinking it is getting pretty darn late to be calling someone and then he really started to get pushy with me. He wanted to know what it was going to take to buy that car tonight. I told him that my starting bid was X-amount and that was a good place to start. Well, he could pick it up tomorrow. And on and on he went, he was pushing hard. and all the time my bogus-o-meter was thumping like on of those over-powered stereo systems.

I decide to just blow him off so I told him I would call him tomorrow and is this your number on my caller ID? "Yes, it is," he said, " but call me early because I am going to Chicago tomorrow.

Now, the more I thought about it, it seemed strange to me. How was he going to come down here and pick up a car if he was going to Chicago tomorrow? His email address is not functioning and his phone traces back to a Chicago cell phone. How many people from Des Moines Would be running around with a Chicago call phone? If you really want that type of car and you lived less than 50 miles away, wouldn't you want to come look at it or at least ask some questions about the car? I am thinking this dude is running some kind of scam but I am not sure what.

I am sorry that this turned out so long but it is late and my brain is only functioning on back-up power at this point

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2005, 12:56 AM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Some people will do anything to get an easy buck. you sound like a smart guy, go with your gut and trust your bogus meter.

He doesn't have any of your other personal info does he? Kinda scary if he does.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:59 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

I agree.something strange is going on there.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:29 AM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Hhmmm...
I think I would have played along with it and asked him to meet you at the local Quick Stop. Besides a trip down to the gas station I'm not sure what you would have had to lose.
And I also have a time typing often spelling would as wouls and other dumb typos.
Although I do agree, if the gut said be careful....
Old 09-10-2005, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

Could be or may not be.

I have bought many cars off Ebay but never a car through ebay.

If I have an interest I do about the same thing he did. If the price you want is to my idea of fair then I will start with the million questions.
At that point if all sounds well I will be there the next day and point blank tell you on the phone if everything you say is true, your car will be gone tomorrow.

I don't have the time to be running on wild goose chases to look at a car that might be worth 10,000 to me and for sentimental reasons its worth 25,000 to you and I find all this out after I get to your place.

He may also be a dealer and here again their tactic is like you mentioned as they don't have time to be running all over the countryside just to look.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.