Hot Rod Forum banner

I6 250 1969 camaro

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  poncho62 
#1 ·
is it worth it in terms of power to convert my i6 250 engine to high performance instead of having to put in a v-8? the engine is the original with #'s matching.

#3 ·
You will never make over 250 HP with the I-6, and the parts and market just isn't there to support any real offering of HP parts. I have had several Chevy I-6 engines and they were all hard working, dependable engies, just not anything performance. I suppose it all depends on you and the kind of car you want to drive/ sell.

#4 ·
yknot said:
You will never make over 250 HP with the I-6, and the parts and market just isn't there to support any real offering of HP parts. I have had several Chevy I-6 engines and they were all hard working, dependable engies, just not anything performance. I suppose it all depends on you and the kind of car you want to drive/ sell.
wrong saying you'll never make anything over 250 HP with a Chevy 6. There are a few drag racers that got the 250/292's figured out and have them cranking over 600 HP, grantid, lots of custom parts, but even so, 300 would easilly be achivable, without custom parts. not to mention, all the low end torque I6's have.

#5 ·
That makes sense, I do recall someone posting this issue before and used the Nova as an example. It will be interesting to know a place in the states that provided the parts. I'll check with a local site here in Southern California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yknot

wrong saying you'll never make anything over 250 HP with a Chevy 6. There are a few drag racers that got the 250/292's figured out and have them cranking over 600 HP, grantid, lots of custom parts, but even so, 300 would easilly be achivable, without custom parts. not to mention, all the low end torque I6's have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.