Hot Rod Forum banner

ID help please

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  willys36@aol.com 
#1 · (Edited)
'60 trans ID

I just got my hands on to an engine-trans combination from driveable car. Engine should be chevy 235, but the auto trans is weird for me. It is cast iron and doesn't seem to have an oil pan. It might be powerglide, or turboglide, but they both have oil pans, eaven the shapes can be found from internet. I found a pic of the same looking unit:

See less See more
#3 ·
So it is iron cased powerglide?
Sure looks different from later PGs from underside. Is it internally the same as later (w/ oil pan and alu case) ones? Should be quite reliable unit when in working order? I mean that later PGs are quite good, is this any different?

#4 ·
few parts interchange between cast iron and aluminum gildes.

you either run the ci glide or a manual tranny that will bolt to the 235 engine .

Or buy an adapter to mount a later model GM auto tranny with a chevy bolt pattern bell housing to the 235 engine. I do not believe the 235 engine ever had a chevy style bell housing pattern

You will need to build a crossmember for the newer trans mount at the same time. Change shift linkage, alter the drive shaft

udu56 said:
So it is iron cased powerglide?
Sure looks different from later PGs from underside. Is it internally the same as later (w/ oil pan and alu case) ones? Should be quite reliable unit when in working order? I mean that later PGs are quite good, is this any different?

#6 ·
Yes, on the picture is V8 with duals, but it is not my engine, the picture is trans example I found from internet. I don't have any pics of my stuff jet, but it is 6, one barrel carb, single exhaust, came from '60 Bel Air with shift marks PRNDL.
I'm not sure jet, whether I'm happy or not it being an old "heavy as hell" PG and not turboglide.

Now I still need a nice body to put it in.

#7 ·
My 62 had the cast iron Powerglide....I swapped it out for a Turbo350....very easy swap. Rear mount lines up, just had to shorten the driveshaft a bit and modify the shift linkage slightly. Still use the PRNDL column shifter.

#8 ·
I doubt my 6 is equipped with suitable bolt pattern for a later trans to simply bolt on. Some info says that '37 - '62 these sixes were interchangeable, so this is older one. At least it should have pressure oiling and hyd. lifters.

One more question about swapping transmissions with the help of adapter plate: OK, I'll get a suitable plate so that bellhousing bolts up, but what about internals? Which flexplate, converter etc. I need to use to get TH-350 (for example) behind that engine?
And if I get it right, the adapter plate, being there between trans and engine, offsets trans some distance from original location, isn't that an issue?

#9 ·
udu56 said:
I doubt my 6 is equipped with suitable bolt pattern for a later trans to simply bolt on. Some info says that '37 - '62 these sixes were interchangeable, so this is older one. At least it should have pressure oiling and hyd. lifters.

One more question about swapping transmissions with the help of adapter plate: OK, I'll get a suitable plate so that bellhousing bolts up, but what about internals? Which flexplate, converter etc. I need to use to get TH-350 (for example) behind that engine?
And if I get it right, the adapter plate, being there between trans and engine, offsets trans some distance from original location, isn't that an issue?

you would need a kit to convert to a modern bell housing patern. All related pieces would be in it. Flywheel, bolts , adapter plate. As I recall a common GM style converter was used with a crank shaft adapter...... dont quote me though.

stovebolt.com used to offer such parts and information. the 216 & 235 share the same bolt pattern for a bell housing.

#10 ·
Just my opinion, but if you are going to go through the expense and hassle of an adapter etc, you might want to look at a completely more modern drivetrain. A SB Chevy v8 and tranny will be an easy swap, weigh the same or less, and would be much more reliable....and probably just as economical......or even a later six.

#12 ·
poncho62 said:
Just my opinion, but if you are going to go through the expense and hassle of an adapter etc, you might want to look at a completely more modern drivetrain. A SB Chevy v8 and tranny will be an easy swap, weigh the same or less, and would be much more reliable....and probably just as economical......or even a later six.
Ponch, Udu56 sent me a PM and said that 235s in his neck of the woods are more rare than 426 hemis. This engine is a real find for him and he really wants to run it.

As far as the durability of the iron 'Glide, they can handle as much as your 235 can put out. You really should go through it though with a thorough rebuild since it is nearing 60 years old. For sure the soft parts are really tired and likely so are some hard parts. Parts and kits are readily available for them.

Before you start your project be forewarned that old Chevy 6 power-trains are not particularly cheap to build. They are much older and less common than any 350 Chevy V8 so although there are 25% fewer parts, those parts are more expensive. That being said, I have run two straight 6s and love them. I will NEVER put a 350 in any car I ever build.

#13 ·
I ran a hopped up 235 cid chevy years ago... in a 1950 Chev truck. I used a saginaw 4 speed behind the engine

They do cost a bit of money to build. Mine had shim type main bearings, solid lifter only block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.