ID my spindles (Mustang II) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2006, 01:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ID my spindles (Mustang II)

I purchased a 37 plymouth coupe, with mustang II (Pinto) IFS. It drives great but needs the entire front end rebuilt, and I must convert to disc brakes. (has 8" drum brakes). Now the problem, the car, as is, sets too low. I have less than 2" ground clearance. I will be buying new spindles, but need to know if the ones I currently have are dropped or stock. What measurments do I need to make to determine the drop, so I can get the car a couple of inches higher. THe current set up drives great at all speeds, just has 40 thousand miles on it and is worn out, and the stopping power is scary.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I may be mistaken but I was under the impression ALL Mustang II/Pinto front ends were disc brake equipped from the factory.

Can you post a photo of the spindle and brakes ... to help identify them?

Old 08-25-2006, 03:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
I may be mistaken but I was under the impression ALL Mustang II/Pinto front ends were disc brake equipped from the factory.

Can you post a photo of the spindle and brakes ... to help identify them?

I have never seen a Mustang II or Pinto that didn't have disks. Are you sure the front end is a Mustang II or could it be a Corvair. They look similar.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:15 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ID my spindles.

I have just learned two things...(1). Never believe what the seller tells you. (2) Stupidity really is a handicap....LOL...I never considered that the suspension might be a corvair. At your suggestion, I pullled one wheel and a brake drum. Found some numbers that are Delco Moraine. Went on the puter and found a corvair parts site. You are right. MII and Corvair look almost identical, even right down to the strut rods. Gonna tear it down completely next week. I am certain it might be a corvair. I have a manual rack (in front of the axle). Will post pics of everything next week. Will still need some help in ID'ing other parts. THANKS A MILLION......

37 plymouth coupe---JEALOUS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37 plymounth1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	14402  
Old 08-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 plymouth coupe
I have just learned two things...(1). Never believe what the seller tells you. (2) Stupidity really is a handicap....
You just believed what he told you ... and that's most likely what someone else TOLD HIM ... He may have bought the 37 up and running and then told you he built it There is a LOT of that going on.

Now you know ... there is some information around about installing Chevelle disc brakes on Corvair spindles ... I do not have it ... but have read it.

The Corvair front end was the fore runner of the Mustang II/Pinto IFS craze. It is actually a decent system. I suggest you check your rear wheel pattern and see if it is the same as your front ... or you may need two spare tires ...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.