idea for cheap respirator air supply... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2004, 04:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

idea for cheap respirator air supply...

i am tinkering arround with a couple of smog pumps and i got the idea of using one (throughly cleaned) to supply clean outside air through a 1/2 inch pvc hose to a mask (the pressure hose to the paint gun could be strip tied to the air supply hose to minimize clutter) so a coulpe of used filteres to my 3M mask gerryrigged to accept the hose from the smog pump should do the trick (that way excess air should simply blow through the exhaust valve, and not blow my lungs)

inputs anyone???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2004, 07:06 PM

A SCUBA tank is only $140 and to fill them is $3. If you have a mask you could rig something up using that.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Last photo:

A firm near my home that specializes in breathing air for industry will rent me a six pack of breathing air bottles for a one time charge of $45. These bottles are the size of acytelene bottles and are pressurized to 2100psi. Six of them will last a very long time when used with one mask. A side benefit is it is certified breathing air.

Vince
Old 04-07-2004, 03:19 AM

Last photo:

the reason i thought of it is that a smog pump usually costs between 5 and 30 bucks at a junk yard and you have the hose for the paint gun cluttering the floor anyway. ill try and rig it together and post some pics soon.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

Deuce,

I know I am late responding to this thread, but thought it might give you an idea.

What about using the compressed air hose that comes in a plastic material and coiled up? It is very light, you can use comp. air couplings at the end for quick disconnect and hang the hose at the ceiling of your garage (paint booth) to avoid the cluttering? (you have seen the movie the "Outbreak" - they have those chemical protection suits constructed in the same manner :-)

Smog pump idea is a good one. How much pressure (psi) can a smog pump generate? Would it be adequate for your breathing needs?

Regards,
Denis
'67 Camaro RS

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.