Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Idea thread: Planning my semi-permanent paint booth, hoping for your input
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 03:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod and Custom
I was going to comment about fire hazard and paint booths. Common sense is the best safety equipment. As the other comments stated, stupidity leads to accidents and fires. The standard spraying operation is not all that dangerous. Think about it. How much solvent would you have to evaporate into the air to achieve a volatile air/fuel ratio? As long as you have airflow through the spray area, you shouldn't have a fire hazard. That is, if you don't light something on fire in the process.

Keep a good fire extinguisher(s) near the exit(s). Why there? So you can decide whether to go back and fight the fire, or RUN!

Reflected edges in the sprayed surface are the best way to determine wetness and flow. I've seen PDR guys put lines of tape on their fluorescent lights, so they can see the surface. When setting up paint booth lights, make as many edges as you can. Photography lighting uses diffusers to eliminate hard lines and shadows. We want the opposite when we spray.
I've been traveling so really hadn't had a chance to respond to this until now, even though I saw it come through in my email.

I too was thinking the same thing as what you pointed out...I'll have air in and air out...in order for a spark to ignite I'd have to have a really thick haze in there. Common sense as you say...

Was wondering if you could expand on how to make as many edges as possible....?