Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ideal temperture thermostat for SBC?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25 View Post
curtis73 - Designing a cooling system that is adequate for all conditions is the goal, but in central Texas we deal with more heat than you do farther north. Ambient temps will routinely hit 105 or more (e.g., it was 102 yesterday), and temperature while idling in traffic on black pavement sometimes shows 115-120+ degrees.

Although not impossible, it would be a real challenge to design a cooling system with a 180 degree thermostat that kept the car at 180-190 degrees max when outside temps are at 105-110 degrees. My point was that under extreme heat conditions a good radiator, water pump, high flow thermostat, fan and shroud are more significant than the temperature rating on the thermostat. I'm not very comfortable seeing the engine hit 215 degrees because I don't have much safety margin above that temp, but it does not hurt the engine.

Bruce
Agreed. I used to work for Austin Speed Shop so I'm also familiar with the stupidly hot weather.... in fact its one of the reasons I moved back north

Now I'm cursing the rust.