Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Ideas? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ideas-64304.html)

SMF Speed&Custom 06-15-2005 12:22 AM

Ideas?

Well I am trying to decide on how I want my 48 to look in case I come across any parts for a good deal anytime soon. Here is what I am tossing back and forth in my head lately.... Either traditional style 50-60's or more modern like with a big block and make it handle real good. I am into both worlds here and dont favore one more than the other...
I need some idea's, comments, and especially some pics of some 48 chevys done up in traditional style.

Thanks a lot for any help here!
Shawn-

rlackey 06-15-2005 02:50 AM

Hi Shawn,

I think that only you can answer this question really. What do you like? It's your car and in then end you will be the one enjoying it most.

This will be an interesting poll though, I voted traditional, but I would look for little ways to make it stand out from the crowd, put an interesting engine in it. You say it's a '48, a '48 Ford? Chevy? Buick? what?

Maybe go for a neo retro look, a modern take on a traditional theme, this kind of thing can be difficult to pull off. It takes some real creativity and knowing just how much of what is enough, it's a very artistic thing that would require a real sense of aesthetic balance and subtlety but it would definitely get you noticed.

Rich

poncho62 06-15-2005 04:53 AM

Like Rich says....it's up to you. I am more for the traditional look, but must admit....I am coming around on the bigger wheels with the low profile tires. Not sure that I could dig the ride though.

SMF Speed&Custom 06-15-2005 10:50 AM

Well yeah, I should have thrown in there that I know it's my car and I should pick but I like BOTH. I am stuck here basically haha.... in a HUGE mudhole. lol But yeah I was looking back in a recent Rod & Custom mag and they had this gold Mercury in there called Gold Rush. It had a traditional style to it mixed with modern. Now I was thinking about doing that but my other biggest problem is wheels, tires and motor. Now I have a 250 inline 6 here that would be sweet to fix up but all I have is the block and a friend has the head and never brought it back to me and now that I graduated from school I dont ever see him and he lives far away. So that thing would be expensive to fix up and get all the parts for. Then I was thinking.... go with a big block, 454. At very first I wanted to do the pro street look with this with a 496 because I never seen a 48 Chevy fixed up for pro street too much (about 5 of em and that's it) but then I got to pricing everything up and do put a new tubbed rear end in it, Currie rear end with the narrowed frame, all new floors, roll cage that would have to be custom made, etc etc and it came out to be over 20 grand just about. And I know when doing a project you should plan to see how much time you think it will be and how much you think it will cost and triple that....
So here is what I was thinking....
1.) First I have to find out if this 79 Z28 front end will work (so far half and half are telling me it will and the other half says it wont)
2.) If it works then I have to start on the front end because I have NOTHING to it. I have nothing to the entire car, I have a bare frame, a body, hood, doors, fenders and trunk lid and that is all.
3.) I was thinking air bags. I never was into air bags or nothing but I got some idea's about it that I will explain here in a bit and plus I have no suspension anyways. If I had a few things to the suspension then I wouldn't waste what I had and just put on springs and shocks but I don't.
4.) Find a Ford 9" rear end and put it on (not sure how I would do the setup. I guess with air bags I have to have a 4 link.
5.) Make my motor mounts, find a 454 and a plain 400 turbo tranny.
6.) Get the tranny sent off for rebuilding to take a lot of power and a big shift kit in it (non of that sissy stuff haha).
7.) Build my own engine (not sure on this yet, I bought about 4 books on big blocks that I hear will help me save heaps of money).
8.) Do all the body work, etc like 53 Buick head lights, shape my front fenders or slick back to the rear ones like tear drops almost, pie cut my hood about 2 inches, shave everything. I can't chop the top, I hear on this kind of car it is much too hard so I dont wanna take the chance of screwing it up.
9.) Paint it that dark metallic looking purple with white or cream interior.
10.) Ok and now, here is my idea with the air bags. I thought about making some skirts for this thing where I can take on and off easily, etc and have them painted when the car is and then have it slammed without them and then when I wanna have a change (haha) I will put the skirts on and drop the rear end and have a tail dragger.
11.) Tires and wheels I am not sure yet, I dont like rubberbands on my wheels though.

Alright well sorry this was a ton, I just wanted to give you guys an idea of what I was thinking about doing. I figured if I like both traditional and modern style then give it a twist and mix the two together with a more modern big block and chassis but a traditional look. I am sure a lot of the traditional style guys will hate me for this and think it is dumb but whatever, it's my car and no matter what I will always have someone else telling me I should have done this or that. :sweat: Ok all done for now.

Thanks again guys and keep the info comming!

SMF Speed&Custom 06-15-2005 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlackey
This will be an interesting poll though, I voted traditional, but I would look for little ways to make it stand out from the crowd, put an interesting engine in it. You say it's a '48, a '48 Ford? Chevy? Buick? what?

Forgot to answer your question... It is a Chevy. :thumbup: (Don't worry I like Ford too).

elliott 06-15-2005 11:51 AM

Quote:

big block, good handling
These to don't usually go too well together. Big blocks are really heavy and will throw off your weight balance. If you want big cubes with low weight stick a 70's caddy 472 or 500 in there, they weigh only a little more than a 350 in full trim plus there aluminium intakes and heads now to make them even lighter.

Hippie 06-15-2005 12:14 PM

Just personal preference but I prefer the '46-'48 Chevy's with factory paint and trim and a Fulton visor scraping the pavement with 16" steelies, big 'n' littles and Moon discs. Drivetrain? Depends on your budget but I always thought a 348 with Tri-Power backed up with a 200-4R would be cool in something like that.

rlackey 06-15-2005 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hippie
Just personal preference but I prefer the '46-'48 Chevy's with factory paint and trim and a Fulton visor scraping the pavement with 16" steelies, big 'n' littles and Moon discs. Drivetrain? Depends on your budget but I always thought a 348 with Tri-Power backed up with a 200-4R would be cool in something like that.

There ya go! Sounds good to me! :thumbup:

SMF Speed&Custom 06-15-2005 01:45 PM

Well that means I would have to find and buy all the trim. Mine is all gone just about and the holes in the fenders are welded up so that's outta the question. Visor... not sure, I have seen the aftermarket visors and they look to fit like crap. I looked into the Caddy motor before, the 500 and they seem cheap to build but only have torque and not good HP I hear. I went to 500cid.com and got some questions answered there. Also on the 454, I plan to just buy a block and then buy everything else as I find them and get the money for it so I will most likely throw aluminum heads on it unless the block I find is a good deal and has the stock heads on it already.
I dont even know... I am still tossing idea's around like crazy. I haven't even started this thing yet and don't plan to for 3 more months so I have a little more time to decide what I want and then start pricing everything, etc.

Hippie 06-15-2005 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMF Speed&Custom
Well that means I would have to find and buy all the trim. Mine is all gone just about and the holes in the fenders are welded up so that's outta the question. Visor... not sure, I have seen the aftermarket visors and they look to fit like crap.

Well the shaved look can work too........ There are still plenty of original Fulton visors floating around. It seems that was "almost" standard equipment on those cars. Those look good but I know what you mean about some of the others. Got any decent pictures of it you can post so we can play around doing some "photochops" with it? Full side shots are usually best.

Rob Keller 06-15-2005 04:12 PM

sounds to me like you are gonna go for a retro custom a little bit of this some of that hey just kick it around till you get a good feel for it all the way through when you can see the end of the tunnel then you will know when and where to start
and about pricing hot rodding is kinda like going to the big apple
how much will it cost well double it or triple it and then add some more :rolleyes:
LOL
good luck in your decision making

sr66 :thumbup:

SMF Speed&Custom 06-15-2005 09:54 PM

Thanks again guys. Anyways my car is in pieces... Frame sitting in a trailor covered up, and body outside covered up and fenders and doors, hoods, extra hood and dashes, etc are under the crawlspace of the house.

www.my48chevy.com go there and go to computer generated pics and they have a plain black one, etc. If anyone can do some sweet photoshopping then that would be GREAT!

redsdad 06-16-2005 06:17 AM

If you are serious about the visor, check ebay. I know I have to wade through plenty of them while I am looking for parts for my 41. Personal preference, a visor is not on my list.

tm454 06-16-2005 01:46 PM

I like them stock looking...

but a built 350sbc and air and power seats is great on the road!!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

SMF Speed&Custom 06-16-2005 05:20 PM

I will skip the visor part. That is just another part in my way and more money taken outta the bank account for me. I am looking into the Cadillac 500 engine right now to see if I can build one for cheaper than a 454 chevy motor. I am hoping I can get heaps of power outta the 500. :thumbup: