Ideas anyone? 78 GMC P/U good for a hotrod? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2003, 04:25 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ideas anyone? 78 GMC P/U good for a hotrod?

I am having a hard time getting rid of my old GMC Sierra 16. Was my dad's in '78 and became mine in '98, it is a great truck, but I figure it is time to enter a new era. It is a 6 cyl with three on the tree. I was just curious how much work would go into changing things around to go and play on the track. Also- I am searching for ideas for how to hook it up and what y'all would do. I have not been into hotroding for that long and I kind of want to learn right.

Thanks for any ideas (and please, don't hold back--but try not to pick on the new guy too much.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2003, 03:12 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

well, i don't know that i would go racing but if it were my truck i would lower it, slam it on the ground. lose the bumpers and get some nice rolled pans for clean lines. maybe plane the handles, chop the top a few inches, nice paint, tonneau cover and some wicked 17s with some nice rubber. and it's cool it's a 3spd.

JB
Old 06-27-2003, 12:15 AM

Last photo:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...php3?forumid=4

No reason you can't go to the track & play right now, is there? Between this board, the one above, & some time at the track, you can learn a whole lot & get lots of ideas.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:25 AM

The only drag is that being in Hawaii, genuine hotrods are a limmited commodity. There is a small track I check out from time to time, but it sucks that the predominent brand of car is that of the new era of hot rod (if that is whaat you want to call it) that happens to be the "fast and the furious" BS that I see out there everytime I go. There have baan a few instances where there were some cool rides, but I have to tap into the knowledge of those on the mainland. I am moving to Japan as well and will be back in a few years, and I a gonna scoop up as much info from sites like this for when I get back to CA where my truck is stashed. Besides, then there will be a lot more capital saved up to play with.

Thanks for the replies Jim and John (so far), and keep them coming.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:34 PM

Last photo:

if you like it rod it. nothing on that truck is hard to switch around. but i would defenintly take the "three on the tree" to the floor. too much of a pain in the ***** to shift; or possibly go with an auto.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:51 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

same body style for ten years? gotta be something mo'betta. they are like 3rd gen camaro's. you'ld think machine tooling was a dead art. course 2nd gen camaros run from 70-81 so...why listen to me? i have a 72
Old 07-04-2003, 04:07 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnymopar
well, i don't know that i would go racing but if it were my truck i would lower it, slam it on the ground. lose the bumpers and get some nice rolled pans for clean lines. maybe plane the handles, chop the top a few inches, nice paint, tonneau cover and some wicked 17s with some nice rubber. and it's cool it's a 3spd.

JB
Any or all of the above AND upgrade the drivetrain as you can afford to. Having a 3 on the tree in this day and age is kind of cool though. Not great for racing but cool for a cruiser. Swing by ChevyTalk.com and check out the truck and performance forums. There are several guys racing full size pickups there that would be glad to share notes.

Same styling for 10 years means parts are easier to find and cheaper when you do. Try owning something that has one year only styling and try to find inexpensive used parts because what you need hasn't been made since 1962 and nobody reproduces it. That bites.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:56 PM

'78 GMC

If I understand correctly, you're going to Japan for an extended length of time, then coming back to California to pick up your pickup (sorry!); then heading back to Hawaii?

My friend, if it were up to me (and of course it isn't!), I'd simply sell the '78 GMC, go to the Land of the Rising Sun and then go straight home to Hawaii, where I'd *diligently* search the used car ads for another ride. Since the Jimmy will not be used for another couple of years, there's all sorts of things that it'll probably need once you get back, like tires, battery, rodent fumigation, thorough brake check, fuel decontamination, etceteras. Why bother rodding this thing yourownself, since I'd guess you're apparently not able to financially or mechanically re-do the truck on your own?

It's only an opinon, of course, and as they say opinions are like belly buttons (everybody's got one), but .. hey! You did ask, right?
Old 07-06-2003, 12:45 PM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

Hey what about this, forget using the truck as your dragster but using it as your tow vehicel for your dragster. Make it a cool ride that can tow the fast ride.

Just a thought, I was at a parade on the 4th, one of the trucks in the parade was a Chevy panel truck from 1964 that was completly stock and in pristene condition. The guy paid 3,275 dollars for it in 64. The coolest thing was it's owned by it's orginal owner (very cool).

Regards
Mark
Old 09-12-2003, 09:27 PM

i know a guy with a 77 that had a three on the tree he put a wicked 427 in it and got rid of the tree shift (just not cool at the track) it looks and runs wild. good truck to tinker with.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Fairly simple swap and cheap.
Cadillac 500, TH-400, and rear locker.
The engine will likely need a thing or two....
But don't they all.
Mine was supercheap- I traded a headlight for a complete car with the above engine/tranny combo, and the swap was simple and lower cost than a 350 into an S-10.
Just my two bucks worth.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Hey what about this, forget using the truck as your dragster but using it as your tow vehicel for your dragster. Make it a cool ride that can tow the fast ride.
I have seen and owned some trucks that would chew up alot of cars at the dragstrip.
If you want to build it, If you can afford to build it, If you have the skills to build it, Then by all means:BUILD IT!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.