Hot Rod Forum banner

Ideas for Flatbed Tray on Truck..

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  duncan_m 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have two existing 1960's J-Series Bedford (an English Vauxhall/GM brand) Flatbed Trucks.. I'm currently in the process of building a 3rd J-Series Bedford (383cu/TH400)..

My first two trucks are blue and red(ish) you can see them here:

The 3rd truck is silver.. It got sprayed yesterday.. You can see it here:

I'm still in two minds about the colour.. I'm sure it'll grow on me and will look pretty spectacular..

I'm unsure what to build on the back of it..

My original plan was for another flatbed tray, completely flat, 5mm steel plate, no edges.. seams welded and filled and sprayed the same colour as the truck and in the same style of construction as the blue truck above.. I was going to have a large Bedford Logo (Griffin - half eagle/half lion) airbrushed on the tray (large circular design).. The tray is going to be 13' x 7'6"..

Now I'm not so sure about the tray.. having it silver might be too much.. but whats the alternative? I'm now also considering a nice wooden tray.. A nice wooden tray could be a good contrast to the modern silver colour..

Any thoughts on what can go on the back that would compliment or work with the silver cab would really be appreciated!

Cheers,

Dunc.

See less See more
#3 ·
I think I would go for the wood with black trim for the bed or tray as you say.Natural finish oak would be nice...Sets the Silver off very well to my mind..I suppose you are going to letter the doors on this one as well..I would like a bit of pinstriping on the silver to set it off as well..Perhaps red??

Sam

#4 ·
I love seeing different vehicles like that. How about a utility box cabinets on the sides?

Tell me guys, do those doors and back of the cab look like an AD Chevy or what???!!! The hood looks like a 55 Ford F100!

Brian

#7 ·
OneMoreTime said:
I think I would go for the wood with black trim for the bed or tray as you say.Natural finish oak would be nice...Sets the Silver off very well to my mind..I suppose you are going to letter the doors on this one as well..I would like a bit of pinstriping on the silver to set it off as well..Perhaps red??

Sam
Hi..

Thanks for the reply.. yeah the doors will be sign written. I hadn't thought about Pin striping.. good point!

I like oak but in the harsh Australian sun it tends to go grayish quite quickly. Perhaps Jarrah or Kapur might suit if I do go with wood.

And then perhaps some utility boxes as Martinsr suggested (thanks!).

Cheers, Dunc.

#9 ·
duncan_m said:
By "dump" do you mean a tipper?

Dunc
I suppose. Around here, they are called "dumps". A hydraulic piston raises the forward end of the bed, the rear is hinged. So the contents are "dumped".

I had one on my F350 and found it very handy. Of course i was hauling gravel, mulch, stone, etc. often. You may not need it, but they sure are cool! And it makes it very easy to maintain the chassis/underpinnings.

#11 ·
AntnyL said:
I suppose. Around here, they are called "dumps". A hydraulic piston raises the forward end of the bed, the rear is hinged. So the contents are "dumped".

I had one on my F350 and found it very handy. Of course i was hauling gravel, mulch, stone, etc. often. You may not need it, but they sure are cool! And it makes it very easy to maintain the chassis/underpinnings.
I had considered a tipper but was considering building one of the back of my red truck which has the originals trans.. complete with 6 bolt SAE PTO port on the side.. ideal for a hydraulic pump.

I saw a really neat tipper a few months ago in the UK.. On a 1938 Bedford.. it was a three way tipper.. you could tip it backwards or to either side.. ingenious little mechanism.. a few photos here:

http://www.duncanmargetts.com/blog/?p=2182

My silver truck won't be doing any work.. (much to its disgust perhaps)..

Thanks for the thoughts!

Cheers, Dunc.

#13 ·
AntnyL said:
That 3-way tipper is wicked cool! My dump bed had a hydraulic piston, the hydro pump was driven by a small electric motor. It worked great. Too bad the truck rotted itself to death. Your trucks are boooteefull, by the way! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks Mate! :)

I'm looking forward to having a play with some hydraulics.. didnt realise that electric hydraulic pumps were available! so thanks for that.

Cheers, Dunc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.