Ideas for the tail lamps on my Motorama Truck. - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2013, 10:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I know you say true to pre-55; but what about a late model corvair taillight in a bullet shaped pod? mounted on top of the fender or hanging like a twin jet engine pod on an early jet?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,073 Times in 957 Posts
That is what I am planning at this time but it will simply be an early fifties lens like a 53 Buick.

Brian
Old 08-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Yes - you do have to be true to Earl and to the early 50's BUT - remember that motorama cars had stuff never seen anywhere before - that was the purpose of the motorama! So - something that would be unobtainium in 1952 is still something that maybe shoulda/coulda/woulda been on a vehicle in a motorama in 1952.

If a (suppose) '55 Packard tail light looks right on your truck - do it!

maybe narrow vertical light running up the rear-most stake pocket might be something that GM would have done way back when to stir up interest in the pickups.

You are already chopping & sectioning to make it look more modern, more sleek. You will already be making some changes to the schnozz, so why not do something a bit more "futuristic" to the hindquarters? You do not need to just pirate lights from stock vehicles that existed then - the tails of the other cars in the 1952 motorama mostly featured lights that never appeared anywhere at any time - so why would GM have been so constrained if the cab was chopped & sectioned?

(Just thinking ....)
Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

You are very right Dave, it's wide open....within reason. This is how I see it, the further I go out of the box the harder it is to recognize what the theme is. The harder it is to recognize the theme, the less sense the theme makes so what's the sense of one to begin with?

The chopping and sectioning isn't really chopping and sectioning in the sense of a chopped and sectioned hot rod or custom, well more of a custom. But the dream cars they made had this look, so I am following it.

These are just my thoughts, I asked for yours because I want to hear them. You guys have given me some super great ideas, some of those ideas opened up my thinking some more, which is exactly what is exciting.

I can not make it clear enough to you guys, because I say "I don't want to do that" doesn't mean your idea isn't perfectly valid. I am simply saying "I am choosing to do something different", NOT that you are wrong.

I know this theme of mine is odd, and I am having fun with it. I am certainly not saying you are wrong Dave because you are very right, and I agree with you on every point.

Thanks, and thanks go everyone for your ideas!

Brian
Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
Yes - you do have to be true to Earl and to the early 50's BUT - remember that motorama cars had stuff never seen anywhere before - that was the purpose of the motorama! So - something that would be unobtainium in 1952 is still something that maybe shoulda/coulda/woulda been on a vehicle in a motorama in 1952.

If a (suppose) '55 Packard tail light looks right on your truck - do it!

maybe narrow vertical light running up the rear-most stake pocket might be something that GM would have done way back when to stir up interest in the pickups.

You are already chopping & sectioning to make it look more modern, more sleek. You will already be making some changes to the schnozz, so why not do something a bit more "futuristic" to the hindquarters? You do not need to just pirate lights from stock vehicles that existed then - the tails of the other cars in the 1952 motorama mostly featured lights that never appeared anywhere at any time - so why would GM have been so constrained if the cab was chopped & sectioned?

(Just thinking ....)
And that is exactly why I asked! You just said something that opened my eyes and that is what I wanted to hear! That line says volumes! Thanks!

Brian
Old 08-14-2013, 08:34 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

If this is what Mr. Earl envisioned, built and drove as his daily driver, then you have free license to do about anything with your tail lights...

This is a 1951 Buick Le Sabre

"Not only did this become GM design boss Harley Earl’s daily driver, but this jet fighter-inspired convertible (complete with an altimeter, jet-like air intakes and tail fins) had a water sensor on its center console so if it sprinkled while the top was down, the top automatically powered itself up into place to keep the cockpit dry."
Old 08-14-2013, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

You are correct, I can do just about anything but it has to "fit" too.

Brian
Old 08-14-2013, 09:33 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Not that I disagree with anyone else, but I figure if you added a set of lights from a model year 54-57, it would be in line with your theme. If it was a hit on this supposed motorama truck, there's no reason GM wouldn't or couldn't use them later on a production vehicle.

I think the big picture is that if you pick something that looks right and isn't instantly recognizable (like caddy lights or something) you're going to end up with that look you're going for. We as a community following this build may know, but joe-blow-at-the-car-show won't. I know that your theme is something that I as an "automotive journalist" (I use the term loosely) would definitely be very interested in. It has that "bigger picture" look and theme.

Not in line with what you're doing, but last year at SEMA the runaway hit was this car called the Mach40. It was a 1969 Mustang turned chassis-wise into a Ford GT40. It had that "bigger picture" look and theme. Everyone and their brother could tell.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:45 PM

Last photo:

You are very wise Grasshopper.

I really like that "Mustang" all except the front wheel wells. I just don't like them going above the body line like that. I don't know what else you would do but the rest of that car is frigging crazy awesome.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (08-14-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 04:54 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

that belongs in the come on man thread
Old 08-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Just saying ,, note hood,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45572_10201045230357484_809871031_n.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	76771  
Old 08-18-2013, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

I've seen this truck, I dig it. I don't see my vision of a Motorama "Corvette/pickup" ala "Cameo" in it but I DIG that truck big time. And of course there are things that could be used in it. I have really thought about the hood and scoops of some sort. I am tossing around the idea of the Corvette style scoop somewhere.

Brian

Old 08-18-2013, 11:41 AM

Last photo:

This truck really has a great "Motorama" look. Every time I see it at a local show I have to stare at it a while.

If he threw some white walls and 58 Corvette wheel covers, lost the mirrors and a few other small things like of course adding a pile of chrome it would be right there!

Brian
Old 08-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

I thought the 53-54 hood vents might work, but I think oval or if you use vette taillights then round ,,I like the headlight rings but not in your design .

what bed is the yellow truck using looks 63-66 chevy
Old 08-18-2013, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

Check out the thread on local cruises I posted a photo of how he made the bed, damn cool and a ton of work.

I was looking at the look of these lights on my truck, adding a fin of course is in the plan as of right now.

Also standing back and looking at these trucks I am thinking on possible mounting them up at the top of the bed as Randy and some others have mentioned, I never thought about it but this may work.

Brian

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.