idel speed affect timing?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 12:56 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

idel speed affect timing??

i was just wondering if where you set your idle speed (with the idle screw on the carb) has any affect on your timing, as in the amount of initial, mechanical, or how fast it comes in. the reason i ask is that i pretty much have the timing on my small block chevy set up perfectly but my idle is kinda high and im wondering if turning it down will mess up my settings. this may be a stupid question but i thought it was worth asking. thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2004, 01:55 AM

Last photo:

If the advance springs are light and the weights are heavy, it may be advancing some. Turn it down & see how it runs, then see what the timing light says.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:16 PM

so the only way the idle could affect the timing is if it is too high and at an rpm where the mechanical advance is starting to kick in? does it affect how fast the mechanical comes in later in the rpm range or the initial/total advance at all? thanks
Old 04-14-2004, 05:15 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by smlblcks10
so the only way the idle could affect the timing is if it is too high and at an rpm where the mechanical advance is starting to kick in? does it affect how fast the mechanical comes in later in the rpm range or the initial/total advance at all? thanks
Mechanical advance is controlled by three things (all related to each other). The RPM of the distributor shaft causes the weights to move outward by centrifugal force. The heavier the weights the faster (lower RPM) they will move outward. The return springs attached to the weights are also to be considered as their strength (or lack of strength) control how much resistance the weights have to overcome in order for the weights to move outward. The springs will also control how quickly the weights return to there base position. Full mechanical advance can be regulated with a combination of springs and weights.

EXAMPLE: heavy weights and light springs will enable the weights to move fully outward at a lower shaft RPM than the same weights with heavier springs.

A good combination would enable a smooth increase in the advance and reach the maximum movement around 2500-2800 engine RPM.

Initial timing is set by moving the distributor base to whatever degrees BTDC you wish to use. It is set at idle (the lowest idle you can get with your combo). If you have a cam that requires the idle to be set higher, the engine RPM (and distributor shaft RPM) may cause the advance weights to begin to move outward. This is when stronger springs and/or lighter weight may be needed. Idle speed does not affect how fast the mechanical advance begins to move. Again, this is determined by the weights and the springs. Idle speed can affect the initial timing inasmuch that if the idle speed is higher you may need more initial to keep the engine running.

Confused yet?

Basically; most street-able engines (does not apply to blowers or when using NOS) should be able to idle (in drive if an automatic) around 650-750 RPM. The initial timing (always set with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged) for most performance applications will be somewhere in the 10-12 degree range and even as high as 18-20 degrees BTDC. The Total mechanical timing (initial plus mechanical) all in around 2500-2800 RPM will be in the 32-36 degree range and even as high as 38 degrees (again with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged). It is not advisable to exceed 40 degrees Total mechanical for most street-able engines. None of the timing degrees I have mentioned include any vacuum advance adjustments. If you were to hook up the vacuum advance and check the timing again you will see a figure well above 40 degrees. You will not have that condition when the engine is under load (driving) due to the loss of vacuum at WOT or hard acceleration.

Since I made a reference to NOS I wish to state that the timing MUST be able to be retarded when using NOS or serious engine damage will occur. That's another story!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.