Hot Rod Forum banner

Identify this head number

40K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  BogiesAnnex1 
#1 · (Edited)
Identify this head number (1816691)

Hi folks,
Trying to figure out if my car has a 327 or a 350??

I have searched Mortec, nastyz28, Chevy-Camaro and many other sites but can not find any reference to the LH Head.

Links to hi-res pics.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2193/2240317727_b69c90c763_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10608395@N03/2240315973/sizes/o/

The only thing I know about the engine is:: Pic can be seen in my gallery.

Valve covers have the 327 sticker on them, (another set with Chevrolet script in trunk of the car) So I don't know if it is a 327 or 350 :confused:
3970010 block (had canister type filter) suffix code reads as CNV
3875954 Intake manifold 4bbl Rochester Q
3795896 RH Head

From what I have read, the crank has a set numbers on it also. I plan to remove the engine in the spring, so I guess then I will figure what the crank is from.

Any info would be greatly appreaciated. :thumbup:

Frank

See less See more
#2 ·
The 896 heads were factory installed on 283s and 327s. I don't believe they were ever factory installed on 350s. They are about 60cc, useful on the smaller inch engines.

Your 010 block could be anything from a 302 to 350.

#6 ·
In my book "Catalog of Chevy V8 engine casting numbers 1955 to 1993" the head part # 3795896 was used on 327 62-64 Corvette 250 HP, 62-65 passenger car,62-67 truck, 283 63-67 truck,63-67 passenger car.This book was compiled by Cars and Parts magazine and was purchased at Books A Million.This casting # is listed on Mortec.

#7 ·
G'day 58Chev.

I agree with MI2600, those heads would not ordinarily be used on a 350. With the info you have supplied it is more likely to be a 283 or 327.

Some pointers which may help identify the size of the motor (283/327) short of pulling the sump. Now all of this is assuming that it is basically stock with factory hardware. A big ask for a motor that's 40 plus years old (probably) :( ?.

So here goes. :drunk:

Canister filters were used in the beginning (not on 265's though) up to 1967-68 changeover year. Some 302's and 350's MAY have them as 1967 was the introduction year for these motors. There after spin on filters are used.

2 sizes of canister filters were used. Long in fullsize cars and trucks and short in Chevy II's, Nova's etc..

Inlet manifold. 2 BBl or 4BBl with oil filler breather at the front 283 or 327. Never used on factory 302's or 350's. These same motors had a rear breather port (vented to the road) about the same size as the distributor hole adjacent to the dizzy. Once again, not used on 302/350's. This hole will more than likely be plugged with a welsh plug. PCV systems started appearing in 1964-66. They used this rear port until PCV valves were installed in the rocker covers. Casting changes in blocks over time have eliminated the front oil filler and rear breather hole.

4BBL manifold but not a Q-Jet (Carter WCFB) 283 or 327 only. Carter WCFB carbs were never used on 302/350's. Q-Jets were used after about 1966. Rocker covers with no breathers or Oil filler holes 265-283 and early 327. In 66-68 they changed to oil fillers, PCV and breathers in the rocker covers.

Harmonic Balancer. No balancer just a flange and several pulleys 265 or 283. Small balancer 6" diameter 283 or 327. 7" balancer was used on Hi-po 327's, 302/350's.
TDC mark on the balancer aligns with the crank keyway on ALL motors before 1968. After this date the TDC mark is approximately 10 degrees off.

Heads: Casting Humps. Plain Square 265 & 283, approx. 60cc.
Square with triangle on top, mostly 283's some 327's 60-64cc. Powerpac heads.
Square with a tiny Square on top, 283-327-307-350, 62+cc.
Square with two (2) tiny squares on top Hi-Po Heads (including fuelies) used on 283-327-350's, 62-64cc. Square with 2 humps (famous double humpers) 302-327-350's. Never used on 283's.
All above heads are straight plug. Slant plug heads didn't appear until 1970-71.

That's about all I can think of right now. Of course your motor could have had a rebuild or two and quite possibly got a wide combo of parts. The only sure way of knowing what you've got is a disassembly.

I hope this helps with identifying what you've got.:thumbup:

Cheers..............Barry.

#8 ·
speedydeedy said:
Is the first pic of the LH head? I cannot see a whole # in the second pic.Can you also post a pic of the date code # such as C147 in smaller print on the head?
Sorry, I goofed with the pic's. The first is the RH Head. The second 1816691 is the number I can not find any info on.

As for date code, the head has a good film of crud or erroded enough to not make out the date code.

Barry.M,
Here is a pic of the engine, The oil filler is on the intake not the valve cover. The canister filer was 6-8" long, I converted to screw on type. The block has never been decked as the suffix code and serial are still visable at the front.
Once I pull the engine I can verify the crank numbers.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/data/500/PA120008.JPG

Appreaciate all the assistance

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the pic of the motor. :thumbup:

OK we can get a little closer to what it is. Alternators became standard equipment in 1963. That alternator is an early one. The carby is a 4GC Rochester. These were used on standard 4bbl motors. 220-230 hp 283's and 250-275 hp 327's, auto's only. The higher HP motors used single or dual Carter WCFB's or the F.I. option. To complicate matters, 4bbl WCFB's were also used on low hp manual transmission motors. The 4GC and WCFB carby's were replaced with Q-Jets in 1966.

Dizzy has obviously been replaced.

The harmonic balancer looks like the 6" diameter type as it's quite narrow. In my opinion this dates the motor (top end at least) to between 1963-1966, but no closer to a conclusion on being a 283 or 327. I think we can rule out that it's a 350, unless it's been a "bitsa" motor during a rebuild (bits of this and bits of that) sorry about the aussie slang their !. :p

The fact that you say that the block casting number is a 3970010 adds weight to the "bitsa" theory. As previously stated by MI2600 these blocks were used from '68 to '80 and sizes 302-350. So basically we're back to square one.......sorry about that. :confused:

Cheers.............Barry.

#10 ·
The casting number 1816691 is a mystery to me also. There is only one other casting number that starts with 181 and thats a head made in canada, so it could well be this head is from GM of canada also. Take a look and see if you see made in canada or anything of the like under the valve cover. Going by the block number, it could well be this was a 327 from the late 60's that had both heads with the 1816691 castings, one cracked and the other head was thrown on as a replacement. But being we dont know any information on the 691 head like the combustion chamber size and etc. this can spell problems. if the 691 is a 74cc head compared to the 896 smaller 60cc chambers will create unequal compression from bank to bank which will create a balance issue. the 691 casting is a new head to be added to the list I suppose unless anyone else out there has info on this casting. Does the 691 head have accessory holes in the front of the casting? also whats the suffix code on the passengers side block deck pad?

#11 ·
I D this head?

The block, right front (passenger side) below the head and above the water pump there should be an upright v in the casting in the front of the block. If its deep, you can stick your trigger finger into it straight down, its a 283. If your little (littlest finger fit's better it a 327. If it small or shallow (either) its could 305,307,302, and so forth. lol

#12 ·
DoubleVision said:
The casting number 1816691 is a mystery to me also. There is only one other casting number that starts with 181 and thats a head made in canada, so it could well be this head is from GM of canada also. Take a look and see if you see made in canada or anything of the like under the valve cover. Going by the block number, it could well be this was a 327 from the late 60's that had both heads with the 1816691 castings, one cracked and the other head was thrown on as a replacement. But being we dont know any information on the 691 head like the combustion chamber size and etc. this can spell problems. if the 691 is a 74cc head compared to the 896 smaller 60cc chambers will create unequal compression from bank to bank which will create a balance issue. the 691 casting is a new head to be added to the list I suppose unless anyone else out there has info on this casting. Does the 691 head have accessory holes in the front of the casting? also whats the suffix code on the passengers side block deck pad?
The suffix code is CNV (mentioned in the first post)
The head does have Canada on it.
As for accessory holes?? Not sure what you are talking about.. Do you mean a spot to mount the Alt? or at the front? I will check..

lanierledford said:
The block, right front (passenger side) below the head and above the water pump there should be an upright v in the casting in the front of the block. If its deep, you can stick your trigger finger into it straight down, its a 283. If your little (littlest finger fit's better it a 327. If it small or shallow (either) its could 305,307,302, and so forth. lol
Not sure will check and post a pic of the front of the block..(have up on bucket)
Front of RH Head

Another of the RH side

It is a 0010 block

#19 ·
The suffix code is CNV (mentioned in the first post)
The head does have Canada on it.
As for accessory holes?? Not sure what you are talking about.. Do you mean a spot to mount the Alt? or at the front? I will check..

Not sure will check and post a pic of the front of the block..(have up on bucket)
Front of RH Head

Another of the RH side

It is a 0010 block
The 010 block is a 4 inch bore casting mostly but not exclusively used for heavy duty engines that means high performance cars, trucks, and industrial applications. The block was used for 302, late production 327's and 350's for years. The block can be either 2 or 4 bolt mains.

The VIN says this is a Canadian built 350 used in full size passenger cars for 1970 with automatic and 2 barrel carb rated at 250 horsepower. So in this case the block casting is the HD unit used in a non-performance grocery getter application, you find these it most likely means the block was finish machined for 2 bolt mains, but you've really got to open it up to know for sure. GM has a tendency to build engines on upgrade castings if normal duty castings are not available to meet production demands for light duty applications; too bad their not as generous when it comes to transmissions.

Your engine has been touched out in service as the head castings don't match with what would be expected on that block in that year.

Bogie

#13 ·
The block is a 350, from 69-80, 2 or 4 bolt used in pass, truck, Vette, Camaro, Chevelle, Nova. If you have a 327, it will have the larger journal crank. You will not know what you have until you tear it down and check the crank (and stroke to verify). It appears you have a mix and match of parts and pieces that cover a span of time and motors. Not uncommon when dealing with SBC where so many items will bolt up with no problem, but you can get into all kinds of problems if you don't have a good handle on what will and will not work together (as someone pointed out on combustion chamber size as an example)

By the way, the 4GC was used up thru 65 on some motors. The Q jet was introduced in 65 on selected models. The AFB was used up thru the 67 Vette in some cases. Both will bolt onto the same intake.

#14 ·
CNV 1970 350 tur hydro trans. 250 2 Caprice

Theres the info on the block. As trees said, you have what I call a "mixer" small block, where someone took various parts they had and just threw it together. It looks like a early 283 or 327 donated its brackets, short water pump, heads and intake. Its likely its still a 350 unless they changed the crank and pistons. But given as cheap as possible approach they took, I doubt it.

#17 ·
Hi folks,
Trying to figure out if my car has a 327 or a 350??

I have searched Mortec, nastyz28, Chevy-Camaro and many other sites but can not find any reference to the LH Head.

Links to hi-res pics.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2193/2240317727_b69c90c763_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10608395@N03/2240315973/sizes/o/

The only thing I know about the engine is:: Pic can be seen in my gallery.

Valve covers have the 327 sticker on them, (another set with Chevrolet script in trunk of the car) So I don't know if it is a 327 or 350 :confused:
3970010 block (had canister type filter) suffix code reads as CNV
3875954 Intake manifold 4bbl Rochester Q
3795896 RH Head

From what I have read, the crank has a set numbers on it also. I plan to remove the engine in the spring, so I guess then I will figure what the crank is from.

Any info would be greatly appreaciated. :thumbup:

Frank
I'd bet on that being a 1816687 Canadian 283 truck head.

Bogie

#18 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have already been on many casting number sites and a few list the 3795896 heads as 307 heads as well as 283 & 327. Luiz mentioned in his post that he had a book which says 307 so the name of the book is what I was after so that I have some back up (other than some web sites) to show the scrutineers of my racing division if they ever ask. This is my first forum so have no idea what or how to contribute, just having a go. Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.