Identify M-22 4-speed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 05:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Identify M-22 4-speed

I need some help. Can anyone tell me how to identify a M22 from the M20 and 21? Numbers or whatever. I'm going to look at one and would like to be sure what it is. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Last photo:

Try this link, it has some great information. Identifying a Muncie M22 today is a challenge, as there are a host of offshore replacement parts. One can actually build an M22 from aftermarket parts. Good luck with your endeavor.

Vince

http://www.5speeds.com/muncie2.htm
Old 04-07-2005, 06:02 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

m22

The site Vince posted is a excellent place to gain the info you need about the M-22's ...The info there is about as close as you will ever get so don't let someone talk you out of believing it.

A few quick points... Not all fine (26) spline input muncies are M-22 this is the single most mis-understood fact about the muncie transmissions!!!!!! They did make M-22's in the 10 spline input's but in my 20 years of rebuilding these transmissions i have only seen like 2 or 3 of them....kind of rare..

Pay attention to all the numbers posted on that site, print them out and take them along with you... Don't be suprised if you give the guy selling it a lesson and he might even get mad at you because he was told a un-truth about the box.......

The other problem the site does not address is the fact that these trans were made over 40 years ago and there can be so much mixing and matching of parts it can make you head spinn.... Years ago i used to take the older 7/8' pin cases and bore them out to used the 1.0" pin clusters... I stopped because people would come with there books full of numbers and tell me it's not the trans i am telling them it is.... i would try to explain that i used a older case and machined it to accept the better parts and always got the "deer in the headlights look" So i just quit doing it...

What i am trying to get at is the case numbers might be something different then what the actual gear set is, So be careful..

Pull the side cover off, ( needs to be in second gear to put back on) Look at all the sincros, push them towards the gears they are mounted on. If they get closer then 1/16" then they are on there way out If they touch the gear where the small teeth are they are cracked or just shot...Compair the gear set to the ones Paul has pictured on his site and look close at the gear angle to see if it matches the M-22 picture. This is really hard if you have no previous skills with this trans!!!!!! look at the pin (measures 7/8" or 1.0" ) on the bottom of the case facing the bell housing, front of the trans...... It should be about 1/16 below the face of the trans where it mounts to the bell. If it is flush or sticking out the case is shot and will need repaired... I would recommend staying away from the 7/8" pin transmissions unless they have been updated with the later sincros, or if you don't plan on "YANKING GEARS"

Do you know what the asking price is???? Did the seller give any idea what the trans is out of???
If you need to i might be able to make some typ of gauge to send to you with both gear angles so you can know for sure....

Keith
Old 04-07-2005, 08:06 AM
Last photo:

Excellent information Keith. I think there are more M22's on Ebay than GM actually produced

Vince
Old 04-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

Yup

I hear ya.....

Keith
Old 04-07-2005, 07:55 PM

Thanks Guys... now if I can just find the phone number I lost!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.