Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

identifying clutch fork/pivot ball

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  seanstrx276 
#1 ·
Can anyone help me identify theses? There is a good amount of slop and its starting to make noise. Any pointers for getting the pivot ball out?

Thanks,
Sean

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Casting # on the bell won't tell you anything about the fork or ball.

Generally, the fork and ball will be looked up by the application it is on, i.e. what vehicle, what engine, what transmission and what year.

Looks late 50's or early 60's GM is all I can tell from the pic's.

#6 ·
Fork looks correct, but that ball is a typo, it isn't a "clutch fork pivot ball", it is a "clutch cross shaft pivot ball", it screws into the block near the oil filter for the clutch cross linkage to pivot off of. Not what you are looking for.

You need something like this :http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-3790556/overview/
Be aware there are several different lengths of these fork pivot studs, you'll have to verify what you have. Summit, Lakewood, and McCloed sell adjustable length pivot balls : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-700110/overview/

#7 ·
. The clutch arm and ball are always a "sloppy" fit... that's called clutch linkage clearance... it's needed to ensure there is NO pressure on the clutch when your foot is off the pedal so the clutch doesn't slip... "noise" usually comes from the throwout bearing going bad...

. The ball and arm seldom need anything unless the ball has worn a hole through the arm where they contact... or the arm cracks... just grease the ball so it can pivot in the arm friction free...

. The clutch linkage should be adjusted so that the clutch pedal feels like it touches nothing for its first 1/4" - 1/2" of depressing...

#8 ·
Buzz, based on your description the fork and ball are in good condition. The squeaking sound stops if I gently lift up on the clutch fork. When I put the fork back in I packed the indent with grease. It still makes noise. I will adjust the pedal play to .5 inch and see what that does.

I have an inch of play right now and I only know that because I adjusted to 1 inch based on a recommendation from this site. It was even looser than that and was shifting real hard once the motor and trans warmed up.

Thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.