Identifying "Dobie Gillis / Art & Lloyy Chrisman's bonneville car?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2004, 02:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Identifying "Dobie Gillis / Art & Lloyy Chrisman's bonneville car??

I'm new to the hot rod scene and am thinking of starting a new project.. I really like the car from " The many loves of Dobie Gillis" 60's tv show.. It seems that the car was originally a Bonneville salt flat car made by Art and Lloyd Chrisman in the 50's..... later to be bought/redone by famous George Barris for the Dobie Gillis show.... Its a rear engine setup ..AWESOME, but i've read conflicting things about it... anybody know what year the car is??? I've heard its a 29 then 30 then 32??? With a 40 roof on it.. also supossedly has a hood made from two 40's hoods ???? I'm not familiar with old fords.. anybody have any info??? is it steel or fiberglass??? is the body channelled?? what frame? Thanks in advance, Chris

Why was this post moved to the "non-automotive" lounge!!!!!!!

Last edited by torquenturbo; 02-08-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Impudent Newbie?

You Dare To Question The Powers That Be? How Dare YOU! LOL

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 02-08-2004, 03:03 PM
v8s10.org

Last photo:

I have a couple of old Barris books from the early 60s that feature that car and tell every little detail about it. I just have to find the books.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Take an old 1931 Model "A" Ford, add $10,000.00 in time and materials, and build a sensational Bonneville LSR coupe. That's what Kustom King George Barris did and the resulting vehicle attained speeds of over 200 m.p.h., then became a star on the Dobie Gillis TV Show and appeared in Car Craft Magazine. The car is now being toured by the Promotions, Inc., Show Car Division.

The original coupe body has been streamlined via chopping, channeling, sectioning, and recontouring with Reynolds aluminum panels. The hammer-welded frontal area, fully belly pan, and Speed Sport wire wheels reduce wind resistance. Attractive finish is pure Swedish pearl, two-toned with translucent Kandy Tangerine. Thirty coats achieve bottomless depth. The rear-mounted Cadillac Eldorado mill develops 500 horsepower with aid of Hilborn injection, 671 GMC supercharger, Weiland drive, Hunt magneto, Autolite electrical system, Ansen stroker kit, Isky cam, Mickey Thompson Accessories, and Dupree fuel pump. In-out box transmits power to Halibrand rear.

Driver safety is insured by tube frame, unitized roll bars and seat belt with shoulder harness. For show purposes, undercarriage and engine of the functional competition coupe have been bathed in chrome plating, while the interior has been covered with extruded aluminum. The XM:SC 210 Coupe proves a major step into the competition field for customizer Barris.

Last edited by Kevin45; 02-08-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:29 PM

Yeah.. I've checked out his books too.. thats the problem.. his book just says it a 30 with a 40 roof.. I talked to George Barris himself at the Chicago World of Wheels event.. he's a bit older now and couldn't recall (He also claims its now a 29?) .. all he did was buy it from the Chrisman brothers and paint it white and tint the windows orange.. I was hoping somebody could ID it...picture of the car

Thanks, Chris

Hey Kevin.. that site is just what I mean.. totally wrong.. it states yet another year, says its a caddy motor (wrong-car was built in the fifties.. no 500's then. .no eldo front drives then) Looked like a olds motor... weird thing is.. looked like a bell housing attached right to the front of the rear end???? heres another site i found

Dobie Gillis Hot Rod - On the sitcom THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS/CBS/1959-63 teenager Dobie Gillis (Dwayne Hickman) and his friends Maynard G. Krebs (Bob Denver), Zelda Gilroy (Sheila James) and millionaire Chatsworth Osborne Junior (Steve Franken) had the chance of hanging around the coolest hot rod on the planet. Renamed the XMSC-210 for the show, the car featured Halibrand Indy magnesium rear wheels, chromed fuel-dragster spoked front wheels, half gull-wing doors, white pearl Naugahyde seats and door panels. The engine sported a fully chromed blown Oldsmobile engine and a rear-chromed suspension. The exterior was painted with thirty coats of Swedish pearl white lacquer with a diamond sparkle and accented with candy tangerine panels on the rood and sides. George Barris, expert customizer, created this sleek, V-shaped TV hot rod from an existing 1930 model A Bonneville coupe originally built by Art and Lloyd Christman. The car clocked at 196 mph.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/marc.seriau/Kinema.htm

heres a little more info...and this is what it looks like today

One of the world's most famous speed creations,
this '31 Model A Ford competition coupe, is the
work of hot rodding pioneers Art and Lloyd Chrisman.
The car's innovative streamlined body helped it
achieve many record runs at Bonneville Salt Flats
and other dry lake racing venues. A Hot Rod magazine
cover car in February 1954, the vehicle was
showcased as "The Most Fantastic Coupe," and it lived
up to its billing by eventually running a best of
196 mph at Bonneville with a fuel-injected 354-cid
Chrysler Hemi. Earlier powerplants included a Ford flathead
and an Ardun flathead conversion. It was restored by
Joe MacPherson of Irvine, Calif.

and here are some pictures of it before Barris got his hands on it.
you have to scroll all the way down alphabeticly to Art Chrisman. at this link.
http://www.gassermadness.com/norms/Coupe-Sedan/

Last edited by torquenturbo; 02-08-2004 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:08 PM

Last photo:

I have that car in 1/64 scale diecast

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.