Hot Rod Forum banner

Identifying my 1970 chevelle, questions

11K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Guy Hiltz 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have a 1970 Chevelle that I picked up from a buddy ages ago for a song. It has no engine or transmission, and lacks the original interiour and paint. It needs to be painted, and re-upholstered.

I've been trying to find out as much about the car as I can before I start working on it, and here's what I've found out. I'd love to know if it were an SS or not, but I've yet to find anything online that would tell me for sure whether it was an SS or not.

the VIN identifies it as a V8 Chevelle malibu sport coupe, and it was assembled in KC, Missouri.

From the Body Tag, it's a 1970 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe, body assembled in Van Nuys, CA. Medium Blue cloth interior, Astro Blue paint, white vinyl top. 3rd week, October 1970. no stripe is indicated on the Body Tag.

From looking at the car itself, it has a GM 10 bolt rear-end, front disc brakes, and a non SS rear bumper. The SS rear bumper differed in that it was Chrome with a black rubber center piece with the SS logo on the right side of it. My bumper is chrome the whole way. It also has the round guage instrument pod, instead of the standard sweep speedometer. The round guage pop was standard in the SS, but was also an option in the Malibu. The car came with an automatic transmission, as I have the factory floor shifter(My dad calls this a His/Hers shifter)

Anyone have any ideas, advice, or places to look for more answers?

See less See more
#2 ·
It is not likely that it was/is a SS
The SS would have had a 12 bolt and being an auto a TH400, the rear bumper as you mentioned, cowl hood with hood pins (with or with out the cold air door), SS emblems on the front fenders, SS on the dash, and SS on the grill.
The round gauge dash was likely ordered with the floor shift. Back in the years that followed the 70-72 production, it was common practice to switch the gauge panels.
If you can find the build sheet it would have either a Z-25 if it would have been a SS 396, or a Z-15 if it had been a SS 454.
There is no specific code on the body tag to identify a true SS.

#3 ·
thanks. you only confirm what I've already figured, I was kind of hoping for a different opinion. I forgot to mention one thing though, I do have a cowl hood with hood pins, without the flapper. It has SS350 emblems on the front fenders and an SS emblem on the grille, but not on the dash or the back bumper. however, the interior is not original.

I'm grabbing at straws here by saying this, but the possibility does exist that maybe the car has the wrong rear bumper, or possibly wrong rear end, but the rear end looks to be factory. Could have this car been equipped with a SBC350 and a 10 bolt at the SS trim level? the body tag does identify it as a California body, maybe it's a California car?

Of course, Equally possible is that the hood and SS badges are not original.

Whether it's an SS or not wont change any of my plans for mechanical work or how much I love the car, only thing that will change is the stripes(or lack thereof) and badges.

#5 ·
Move on!

If it's that darned hard to tell ....then what does it matter?

There was only a few difference in parts between an SS and a Malibu. Sure, the SS was more desirable, but many very valuable cars were Malibus, including most COPO's, Yenko's and more.

If it was an SS you'd catch heck for any modifications you want to make. Do what you want to the car and move forward. Make it a clone if you just have to have an SS.

If you're building this car to make a profit, you'll lose. Build it for yourself to enjoy and you'll be much happier in the long run.

By the way, check out chevelles.com

Steve

#6 ·
thanks for the link, SSedan, that's where I got my info on my body tags.

And yeah, Apache, this is a car I bought for me. I'd like to know if it were an SS before I went to doing things I wanted to do it, the way *I* wanted to do them. I'm sure I'd catch hell for 'ruining' a valuable classic car if it were an SS. At least now, I can build it how I want.

Now I can, in good conscience, build the fuel injected 572 stroker, with a 4-link rear end, and a rear bumper from a 1971 chevelle that I've been dreaming of. I'm sure I'll catch hell for building my chevelle the way I want to, but hey, it's my car.

#7 ·
sikxsevn said:
thanks. you only confirm what I've already figured, I was kind of hoping for a different opinion. I forgot to mention one thing though, I do have a cowl hood with hood pins, without the flapper. It has SS350 emblems on the front fenders and an SS emblem on the grille, but not on the dash or the back bumper. however, the interior is not original.

I'm grabbing at straws here by saying this, but the possibility does exist that maybe the car has the wrong rear bumper, or possibly wrong rear end, but the rear end looks to be factory. Could have this car been equipped with a SBC350 and a 10 bolt at the SS trim level? the body tag does identify it as a California body, maybe it's a California car?

Of course, Equally possible is that the hood and SS badges are not original.

Whether it's an SS or not wont change any of my plans for mechanical work or how much I love the car, only thing that will change is the stripes(or lack thereof) and badges.
There was no SS 350 in 1970, they began in 71

#8 ·
Yeah, I knew that in '71 the SS package was all show with little go, kinda like my Dakota R/T is. Doesn't have any R/T exclusive options that are only available on the non R/T model.

Guess now I need to sit down and plan this thing out, so I don't end up with some strange monstrosity of a car. Of course, that may happen anyways. Only time will tell.

Thanks for the help so far guys ^^

#9 ·
The Chevelle having a 10 bolt ... does not really mean anything on a Chevelle that is almost 40 years old. It is true that all the Super Sport Chevelle is 1970 came with 12 bolts ... But I helped replace a few 12 bolts ... with 10 bolts back in the day ... because the 12 bolts were broken ... :D

I have a friend with a matching numbers 70 Chevelle SS 454 - 450 HP LS - 6 and it has a 10 bolt rear under it ( for now ) . The 12 bolt was broken ... and a 10 bolt installed so the Chevelle could be driven. The 12 bolt is in the process of being repaired and then IT WILL be re-installed. Then the car will match :D

#11 ·
My 70 SS had no stripes, had vinyl roof, cowl hood without the air flapper, round gauges, but didn't have a tach or the small gauges.

Personally, I think that yours has the round gauge dash is a pretty good sign that it was an SS....The 12 bolt, like said would be easy to change....the rubber piece on the bumper could have been removed...or fallen off.

Like said earlier...It doesnt really matter....still a cool car.

It was said that the SS350 started in 71......I have never seen one....but, I am no expert.....I have seen 71 "Heavy Chevys".........which had the cowl hood on a 350 car, but I think still had the sweep speedo dash..

One more thing though...If I remember correctly....an SS Chevelle in 70 was not listed as a Malibu..........Does it have a chrome strip at the top of the front fenders?...SS's did not

#12 ·
Does it matter? to the OP, no.
Any removable part can be changed and I have personally seen several SS gauges swapped into non SS cars, but why would you take a SS 396 or 454 and make it look like a SS 350 that didn't exist until the next year?
One way to know for sure if it mattered, check the trans and rear axle codes, see if they are OE to that car.

Google 71 Chevelle SS 350

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.