Identifying a Sewing Machine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 10:27 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help with idetifying my Industrial Sewing Machine

Can anyone tell me where I can get info about my Industrial Singer Sewing Machine ?
I have a Walking foot/ needle feed machine with serial number but no model number. The plate is missing.

There is a plate on the stand that says US Government
I do have photos if someone knows how to identify or if you can tell me where to find that info, that would be great.

I need a service and parts manuals as well as I need to know what needles to buy and thread size etc.

Thanks
Just Passing Through
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Hi: I split this thread off of the original thread you posted on.

Do you have a presser foot or welt foot on the machine? Do they look like this? If so, you have a Singer model 111W which has been copied by everybody. Just look up that model number in any search engine, and you should be able to find anything you want online. The two parts on the left make up a presser foot. The two parts on the right make up a welt foot.

It takes a 135X17 needle which comes in sizes from 18 to 24 (the larger the number, the heavier the needle) and you can use size 69, 92, or 138 thread. (the higher the number the heavier the thread) 69 Nylon is standard. Size for size, Nylon is stronger than Polyester. 92 Polyester is half again larger than 69 Nylon and about the same strength. You use Polyester thread for anything exposed to UV rays, and Nylon for indoor uses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0670-1.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	32339  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 09-08-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:30 PM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My Juki LU-562 is almost identical to your Singer, Just Passing, with the exception of the reverse lever on my Juki. That well to the right of the needle/feed dogs has no cover. It's just an open area to allow you to slide the cover next to the feed dogs open. These machines were used by the military for tent and uniform repair, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's where it came from.

Dan is indeed a wealth of information, as well as just one heck of a guy. The best advice he ever gave me when I first got hold of my Juki was to get it looked at by a professional. I dropped it off at a sewing machine repair shop that specialized in industrial sewing machines on a Monday, and picked it up that Friday. They had gone through the machine, cleaned it, lubricated it, set the timing, and just generally tuned it up. The cost was $90 out the door. I asked the tech a bunch of questions while I had his attention, and he told me about oiling it, maintaining it, and just generally using it. It was money well spent.

The first thing I made with it was a cover for the machine. I have since done 1 large bench seat with it (check my project journal) as well as several smaller household projects, and I love it. I did have to slow it down some (this thing had so much torque to it, it would just about jerk me out of my chair!) but I did it by swapping pulleys on the motor, and changing the belt. That cost me less than $20, and the parts were available at my local hardware store. I'm currently working on the interior of my wife's project Dodge Dart, and the help Dan, as well as several others here on the board, has given me has been truly invaluable.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.