Identifying what gears are in a differential? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Identifying what gears are in a differential?

Hey guys, I'm headed out to the junkyard this weekend looking for a new front and rearend for my truck ('84 GMC shortbed 4x4) and I'd like to know how I can tell what gears are in the rearends. I currently have 4.56's with a 700r tranny and 35's and it feels a little bit too much I'm looking for a rearend with 4.10's or 3.73's in it. I've read that everybody recommends the 14ff, but I don't have the money to change the wheels so I need to stick with a six lug. Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by muzzfactor; 12-03-2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: forgot to state tire size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

I would ask to see the inside of the diff before you buy,I would take a rachet with a 1/2 socket with you and if you find some your interested ask them if you can pull the cover or ask them to do it. The tooth count for the ratio will be stamped on the ring gear.

373 is 41/11 tooth count
410 is 41/10
Old 12-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

If its jacked up, put it in neutral and turn the tire once around while counting the number of times the driveshaft spins. On a posi, its simple; the number of times the driveshaft turns is the ratio. Its not an exact way, but if its about 3 and 3/4 turns, its probably a 3.73. About 3 and a half would probably be 3.42. A little over 4 would be 4.10.

On an open rear (or a gov-loc that isn't engaged) you have to make sure the other tire doesn't turn, then double the turns you see at the driveshaft. Or you could use a buddy, and both of you turn a tire, then the number of turns will equal the ratio.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Some of these trucks may have the ratio on the data sticker, if it is still there.

My 1/2 2-wheeler had it on the data sticker in the door and the option sticker in the glove box. (79 C-10)

My 78 K10 had it on the option sticker in the glove box.

But---depending on where yours was built---might not have the same info.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:08 PM

My '75 K25 has the 14 bolt FF rear and it had a metal tag on one of the differential cover bolts. It didn't say 4.10 on the tag, but did have two numbers that calculated out to that ratio (something like 45/11).

I had some brake work done recently and the shop also changed rear differential fluid. The guy mentioned that it looked like it might have never been changed (33 years old?) - that's one of the risks you have when buying a used axle.

Most of the pick and pull places in San Antonio charge $25 if you pull a stock 8 bolt GM 16"x6.5" steel wheel.

Bruce

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.