identity theft and check fraud - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2005, 10:56 AM
here to learn

Last journal entry: finishing up the skirts
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

identity theft and check fraud

a couple weeks ago we (our company) received a call from our bank saying that they received a check with an unknown signer on the check. they obviously didn't give them the money. we asked them what check number it was and when we checked our numbers it was not even close to the numbers we are using, it would have taken a year for us to notice that the check was gone. not only did we notice that particular check gone, but 19 more. we got calls from our bank later that day with more checks turning up, some at Best Buy some at Auto Zone, some even cashed out at party stores. when i saw the one at Best Buy i called my buddy who works their and asked him if i can go over their and see if we can find this guy. after the bank faxed a copy of the check over i went over to Best Buy and i found out something that shocked me. when the person used this check he signed it with our secretaries full name (but she is not on our account) wrote all his license info and when they scanned the back of his license all MY information came up on the receipt!!! so to sum up the story, whomever stole the checks, knows our secretary's full name, but doesn't know that she is not a signer on the account, and has my information.

this part was surprising to me as well. because our bank didn't give them the money, neither our bank nor us lost money. Best Buy didn't loose money because they use a "middle man" company to Cash all their checks. this "middle man" company who takes all their checks does NOT file charges because they "expect" a surtain amount of checks to be bad, and it would cost more for them to file charges than to let them go. so if we don't want to press charges against all these people, they would get away free. by the way, the police has their full name and address and they still wouldn't do anything unless we told them we wanted to!!! that just blows me away

PS if you think your ID has been stolen, call this phone # 800-888-4213

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2005, 11:18 AM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

sounds like an inside job.
They only people that get screwed in fraud is us. Because most likely if the companies had cashed the checks, they'd hold you liable for the amounts. I had a CC stolen from me once and they managed to charge 100$ in gas before I canceled it later that day. Even though the CC company (citibank) says you are NOT liable for fraudulent charges. you have to get a NOTARIZED document and you have to send the COpies of ORIGINAL receipts, all in all I spent 50$ to prove that I didnt spend the 100$ so I was still out 50$

You canceled the account right? now that the person has your checking account they can just "print" their own checks with your account number....
Old 07-18-2005, 11:37 AM
here to learn

Last journal entry: finishing up the skirts
Last photo:

we changed our account and im in the process of changing all my stuff. the part that we are most conserned about is that it might be an inside job, and we all know eachother well. we dont know who it could be
Old 07-18-2005, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

doesnt best buy have Video? Auto ZOne? or any of the places that physical purchases were made? My credit card co. could only tell me the name of the gas station and not where the gas was purchased, when I called to cancel. coincedentally there was one by my dads house (where my car was parked) and one by the jobsite. I was not sure if my wallet was in my car or my dads, so i had to wait 3 weeks for the statement. When I got the statement,I called the gas station, they have video, but only 2 weeks worth.... so I was out, but the sooner you investigate, the better your chances are.. my guess is, someone in your co. took the items but had another person commit the crime... is it a big company or a small one? do you know what they bought at Best buy? maybe you can drop buy some houses?? the other thing is to NOTIFY best buy of the fraud, the person may attempt to return the TV for cash....
Old 07-18-2005, 06:43 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53LEDSLED
we changed our account and im in the process of changing all my stuff. the part that we are most conserned about is that it might be an inside job, and we all know eachother well. we dont know who it could be
It does not have to be "an inside job". There are several ways for someone to get sufficient information to bootstrap their way to that kind of fraud. One of the simplest is for them to grab a carbon copy of a receipt with credit card numbers or checking account numbers. There are still stores where the old carbon receipts are used and many of them simply toss the carbon paper in the trash. Another way is to grab the info from the notoriously untrustworthy pair of MS Windows and Internet Explorer. There are commercial websites still running on W98, which is about as secure as a rusty screen door. Confirmed any "paypal" account emails lately? Had anything acting funny on your computer? Still another way is to get a little personal information about you, such as name, age, mother's name, and then call your bank and pretend to be you.

That last one happened to me some years ago. I called in an order to a fairly large vendor (not their fault so I won't mention a name) and a man who worked there temporarily managed to get some info from the order paperwork. He was able to use that information to search public records and add enough to call my bank, convince them he was me. He said he had moved and wanted _my_ credit card bills forwarded to the new address.

It just so happened that I made an online purchase the next day and it failed because my address no longer matched. Naturally, I called my bank. I was put on hold. When the lady responsible for credit card accounts took my call and I said who I was, there was a pause and then she asked, "What did you forget?"

The reason I was on hold was that she was talking to the other "me". He had called to say he mangled "his" credit card and wanted them to send another to "my" new address. The new card was never mailed, just by that stroke of eery luck.

The biggest surprise I had after that was finding out that the Treasury Department, which is in charge of identity theft matters, will not act unless $50,000 is involved. For anything less, it's considered a local police matter. I got the address this guy had given my bank and called the sheriff's office in that Indiana town. I talked to a very crisp lady sergeant who did not just dust me off, but radio-dispatched someone to check it out. She called me back to tell me the apartment was already empty but it showed signs of being very recently occupied. I don't know if there was any further investigation.

If you suspect an attempt at identity theft, call your bank, your credit card company and get your credit report from the "big three". Put blocks on everything. This guy had filled out an application for a loan to buy a car, in my name! I forget the names of the three credit agencies; Experian is one, I think.

[Edited to add ... ]

Equifax, Experian, TransUnion are the 3 credit reporting agencies. http://www.annualcreditreport.com

Last edited by grouch; 07-18-2005 at 06:51 PM. Reason: did a search for credit reporting agencies
Old 07-19-2005, 11:14 AM

Last photo:

I said inside job because he had physical checks missing out of the company checkbook.

Credit cards fraud while "scary" is not as scary as fake checking accounts. I had my ID stolen, as well as checks and CC's. I cancled all the cards, and had my bank accounts changed, however this person has my ID and address and it would not be hard for that person to go to any bank and start an account and write a bunch of bad checks, it could be happening now for all I know, but there is no way to stop it untill its too late. theres no way to EVEN KNOW, if someone is doing it!! with the credit companies, you can put a flag on your account so they will call you everytime someone applies for a card in your name, but it expires so you have to update it.
you can also flag your SS# like this. Even with credit cards you can password protect all your information, and they wont give out your info till you can give the the pword (hint DONT use your mothers maiden name) My mothers info was in my wallet, and someone called her trying to trick her into giving up her maiden name, luckily for me, she wasnt fooled, and new my stuff had been stolen.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.