Hot Rod Forum banner

idle adjustment 4b rochester

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  slider in wa 
#1 ·
not sure how to get correct idle adj. Most people tell me to screw them in until motor almost shuts off and let screw out 1.5 to 2 turns?ive tried this and the carb still drinks gas maybe float set incorrect?help

#2 ·
Warm up the engine!! Check timing . Turn mixture screw in untill the engine wants to die (LEAN) . Then turn the misture screw out untill engine starts to run crappy.(FAT) Turn screw back in untill engine runs smooth. Adjust idle to recommended rpm`s for the type of transmission you have. (AUTO/MANUAL) I like to check all of the carb mount bolts/screws for tightness, when i do this. In addition soapy water sprayed on vaccum fitting will help find any leaks. Have fun!!!
Slider in Wa.

#4 ·
I agree with both the above. Just buy a vacuum gauge (any auto parts store, inexpensive). An inexpensive tune-up tachometer would also be nice.

The vacuum gauges usually have a bunch of fittings to adapt it into the manifold vacuum somewhere. Typical spot is to splice a hose into the distributor vacuum advance line with a Tee fitting.

Once the engine is warmed up, set the idle speed with the tach to spec. This is done with an adjustment screw on the throttle arm that moves the throttle shaft very slightly to prop open the throttle plates. If the tune is way off, you may need to adjust idle screws before setting the speed, adjust speed, set screws, and so on.

To adjust the idle screws, simlpy slowly turn each idle screw until you have maximized vacuum reading. If that doesn't give you a smooth idle, you have some other problem such as a vacuum leak in a manifold gasket or carburetor gasket.

If your carb is being flodded with too much gas from a mis-adjusted float or bad needle/seat, the engine usually is running VERY rough and black smoke is pouring out the tail pipe. Very dramatic. Idle adjustment won't fix that. You must dis-assemble the carb and do internal repairs (set float to spec, replace needle and seat, etc.). If your problem is that you aren't getting the gas mileage you expect, the problem isn't in your idle adjustment. That is a primary jetting or engine condition problem.

[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.