Idle Issue vs. Cam Selection - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 06:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Idle Issue vs. Cam Selection

Hello again everyone, Jay Gadsby here. Recently, I got the engine running in my boat, all is well there. Got the timing right where it needs to be etc. But, I cant get the idle below 1000rpm no matter how hard I try. The idle speed screw is barely touching (just enough to keep some pressure on it.) As per the holley initial adjustment guide, said to lean out the mixture screws and back off 1.5 turns. Did so, not enough to keep the engine running. A little more fuel and it gets happier. My question is this. I have a Crane Cams p/n 114201 .450 lift on both, 284 duration and 114 separation. This is installed on a SBC bored .060 over, balanced with flat top pistons, vortec heads, and a Holley 4150 600CFM marine carb. According to the local engine builder the CR is about 9.3:1. Ignition is a Thunderbolt IV that requires 8* BTDC, and thats where she sits. Is it possible that its too much cam to get the idle and lower without stalling it out? Is that a possiblity? Oh, and I sprayed the entire silly intake with carb cleaner and so far no idle changes. So I am guessing no vacuum leaks. Is there any obscure areas I need to check for that? Any one have any ideas? Thanks in advance guys (no sort of pun intended there).

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 06:22 PM

DId you ck the secondaries idle stop?
Old 06-18-2011, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

Yes I did. Does this carb require any sort of vacuum reference or anything. On the backside of the carb, there is a ridiculously large capped off port. It is rather hidden with the coil there and the distributor. The cap slid off rather easily and I gonna put a hose clamp on it and see. The rochester setup on the mercruiser that used to reside in the engine bay had no vacuum lines period. Thanks again!!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Remove the carb and flip it over look at the idle transfer slot exposure under the throttle edge at idle and reset the pri and sec throttles so the idle transfer slot expose at idle is right. .020"ish +/-

reinstall the carb. This is your baseline idle throttle opening setting. Give it all the idle timing it wants. (more than 8deg)

That camshaft wants more than 8 deg timing at idle. rev up the engine and set the timing at full maxed out advance at 36deg BTDC. What is the idle timing now, in gear? Needs to be 14 to 18deg at idle while idling in gear. (around 700rpm) Check the idle timing while idling in gear.

Make sure max timing at high rpm does not exceed 36deg BTDC.

Using This amount of WOT max timing in a boat needs the best available high octane street premimum pump gas. 92+octane

If you want to run it on crap marine gas use less WOT timing (30-33deg)

87 octane may only allow 28deg timing at WOT.

8 deg inital base timing at idle is not enough . I believe the V6 mercruiser thunder bolt ignition has a shorter internal electronic advance curve (and a higher rev limit) which will allow more idle timing, while avoiding excessive WOT spark advance.

The other option is to convert to a GM HEI distributor and dial in the mechanical centrifugal advance. The vacuum advacne will not be used on a boat.

Warning::: if you insist on running it on 87 octane fuel don't get nuts with the WOT timing.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 06-18-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the advice. As far as the 8* initial timing, I set it to the Mercruiser standard and supposedly it is going to add 22* at max that should be all in by 3600rpm from all I have gathered. I will look into all that very soon. Right now it is idling at 900rpm (750 is the high side of stock). I will have to pull off the carb tomorrow and get it adjusted up. Thanks again!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.