idle problems on a ford truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 PM
a shade tree mechanic

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

idle problems on a ford truck

I am working on a 1986 for f150. it has the in line six 300 motor. once I get it started it idles like crap. I have changed the plugs and the wires. I also changed the fuel filter. thinking maybe that would be the problem I started with the least expensive things first. now I am guessing its the carb. I have never rebuilt a one barrel. It doesn't look to hard, But I am up for suggestions on what else it might be before I tear in to the carb. also what is the firing order for a ford??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. Have you set the idle mixture with a vacuum gauge? Have you checked it for vacuum leaks?
Old 04-09-2010, 06:13 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Do you have an intake manifold leak? Some of these had problems with these gaskets due to either the bolting loosening up(usually the back one) or, in a very few cases cracking - also the exhaust manifolds will crack, but that's a problem for another day.

Dave W
Old 04-09-2010, 06:46 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Need to check the PCV valve and EGR valve. If you decide to re-build the carb, the 1 barrel is a good beginner carb to start with. It's pretty simple, just keep everything clean and try to save all the gaskets in one piece to be sure your using the right one's as some kits are universal and you can match them up. Be sure to watch for any check balls that might fall out from the accelerator pump reservoir and base plate to carb body.

I like chem tool's B-12 and a can of compressed air like computer air duster.
Be sure to wear safety glasses as that chem tool burns the eye's real good.

After draining the fuel out, I like to disassemble the carb on a white towel or old t shirt so you can spot anything that falls out and it will keep it on the bench instead of the floor.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Do you have an intake manifold leak? Some of these had problems with these gaskets due to either the bolting loosening up(usually the back one) or, in a very few cases cracking - also the exhaust manifolds will crack, but that's a problem for another day.

Dave W

That,s the first thing I thought of when I saw ford 300.I have seen that also.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:09 AM
a shade tree mechanic

Last photo:

thanks for all the help I will check the firing order and then I will check the intake to see if there is a crack. and no I haven't checked for any leaks with a vacuum gauge but I will do that too
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 PM
a shade tree mechanic

Last photo:

I rebuilt the carb and for some reason it now leaks gas from them bottom. I have adjusted the float and took it apart and cleaned the needle and seat several times. I have also checked the floats to see if they were bad and they are good. I finally found some gas underneath the new power valve so I am going to get another kit and see if that fixes the problem. I pray to god it does have messed with it all day. if it doesn't fix the problem I guess I wil have to buy an rebuilt one. Hopefully I don't have to go that route
Old 04-10-2010, 03:53 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquiring_mind2
I finally found some gas underneath the new power valve so I am going to get another kit and see if that fixes the problem.
Isn't the carb a Carter YFA?

What's probably happening, is the accelerator pump diaphragm is leaking. The pump doubles as the metering needle actuator. The diaphragm has full manifold vacuum applied to the bottom side- so if it leaks, the engine can pull fuel out the bottom of the fuel bowl right into the intake.

Carb kits may or may not have the "right" rubber material to withstand use w/alcohol in the fuels used today, if the kit is NOS from awhile ago, this is a problem.

Usually, the correct material for the pump diaphragm is green. Not always- but if it's green, at least there's a fair chance it's OK.

Last edited by cobalt327; 04-10-2010 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:25 AM
a shade tree mechanic

Last photo:

what is YFA??? and the material was black . as I stated ealier this was my first time rebuilding a carb.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:44 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquiring_mind2
what is YFA??? and the material was black . as I stated ealier this was my first time rebuilding a carb.
The Carter YFA is a "feedback"-type 1-barrel carb that was OE on the truck you have, I believe. Close cousin to the non-feedback Model YF. What type carb did you buy the carb kit for?

Old and/or non-alky compatible material contained in carb kits that aren't up to spec in regard to the current fuels is the bane of carb rebuilders everywhere the alky 'enriched' fuel is being foisted upon the buying public.

This has nothing to do w/your personal experience, other than you not being aware there may be compatibility issues w/some rubber parts used w/alky-containing fuel.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:23 PM
a shade tree mechanic

Last photo:

the carb kit was for a yfa carb. I did find out what the problem was. The truck came out with a manual fuel pump and this one had an electric one on it. So it was pushing to much fuel. that's why it would load up. so I bought a inline fuel regulator and put it on and adjusted it to 5 lbs and its running great now. I want to thank everyone for there help I couldn't have done it with out ya

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.