Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Idle speed changes
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 07:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
The first question I have for you is did you buy this JEEP with the motor already in it? Look on the base of the MSD distributor and find the Model #. Should be MSD 8516. Next pull the cap and remove the two screws for the rotor removal. Check the weights for rust and corrosion. Clean and put some dielectric grease on them, springs too. See weights: MSD Ignition 8628 - MSD Distributor Replacement Parts - Overview - SummitRacing.com. Check magnetic pickup for rust and corrosion, clean if necessary. If cap and rotor any white scale on posts replace with MSD Ignition 8014 - MSD Extra Duty Distributor Caps - Overview - SummitRacing.com MSD Ignition 8467 - MSD Distributor Rotors - Overview - SummitRacing.com Tighten the distributor hold down bolt until you can not turn the distributor. If you don't have a timing light borrow one to set the timing not by sound.
Yes I bought with motor in it and running, w/ approximately 2000 miles on it.
I would say it now has about 2500 off the top of my head.
Distributor Model number is 8519.
Weights seemed fine, but I will double check them
Cap and rotor will be getting replaced due to white scale
And as far as timing goes, I have never done it before but want to. I am just overwhelmed as to where to start. One concern that I have is not being able to hear any pinging when setting the initial(or total timing, I forget where that pinging comes in) because my exhaust is so loud. Anyone have any suggestions to hearing it with a loud exhaust? And any links to any really good write ups for a novice?

Do any of these symptoms sound like it could be bad dist/cam gears?

Thanks for the input.