Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Idle speed changes
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 04:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision View Post
First thing I suspect is the mechanical timing advance is sticking open. Don't matter what springs or weights are in it either. After a while if they get gummed up, and they all do, they will stick open and cause all kinds of headaches. What carb are you using? Because of how it's acting I don't think you have a vacuum leak, but it is something to check. If the carb is a 4 barrel the secondaries could be slightly sticking open which also happens at times as well. I used to have a Demon carb that had a bad habit of the secondaries sticking slightly open and I had to sand the burrs out of the base plate to stop it. See if you can get it to idle high again then check the secondary linkage to see if it's open any.
Here's the details from the for sale ad.

AMC360 V8, bored .030 over, All work done by Engincraft in 2008, (less than 2000 miles on motor.)
Edelbrock Proformer intake
Comp Cam - Intake @ valve 496, Exhaust @ valve 521
Roller Rockers
Holly 670 Truck Advenger, MSD.
Fenderwell headers, 3" flowmaster exhaust.

The Holley is still on it.
I did check the secondaries, and they may have been stuck open just a touch. The linkages were not moving the secondaries at all when the motor was not running. So I reached down in there to see if the were frozen and it did snap shut I think once I put a little pressure on it. This very well could have been the problem the whole time. Hopefully it is. Either way, can someone point me in the right direction to finding an article to read on rebuilding/cleaning that holley?

And CDMinter59, thanks for the timing lecture, but where do those 8* and 34-36* come from. Aren't things a bit specific to each engine? And does anybody have any tips to help me hear any detonation I might have while timing over my loud exhaust? Or for that matter, hearing detonation at all? I can't say that I have ever heard it before. Thanks all. Waiting to hear from ya!