Hot Rod Forum banner

Idler Pulley

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Oldguy48 
#1 ·
I need to find an idler pulley to reconfigure the alternator/water pump/A/C compressor belt arrangement on my car. I’m trying to find one 2 ½” to 3” O.D., ½” bore, flanged, to be used against the flat side of the V-belt. The belt is 7/16” wide. I’ve spent a lot of time searching, but have not found anything yet. It seems that they all are much too wide. The only ones I found that are narrow, are much too small in diameter (like 1 ½“, and in this application, it would spin like a turbine). Anyone know where I can find such a critter? Or wouldn’t the extra width on the idler pulley make any difference? Thanks for any input. I need to get this done so that the A/C is functional. And my wife really, really wants the A/C to work. So my dilemma is pretty obvious!!!:pain: Thanks for any advice or tips.

Wayne

#4 ·
Any General Machinist should be able to make what you want in whatever materials you want. Just take some general size guidelines a concise discription with you. It would be best to bring the inner bearnig with you you would like to use so they can machine the part based on that size since it's the most critical.

#5 ·
I used one that was over 1" wide to tension against the back side of a V belt. The extra width just ensures the belt wont ever track off the idler. Wish I could remember what I got it off. Just looked on Ebay, and found one for under $20 new, and made a plate to bolt it to.

#6 ·
I purchased one at my local NAPA shop. It's wider than I wanted, but I'm going to try it. I just finished the bracket to mount it this afternoon. Now I need to drill some mounting holes in the existing AC/alternator brackets and bolt it in.
How did your V-belt hold up using the idler against the back of the belt? I'm expecting a reduced belt life due to the path the belt is going to follow, but I don't see an alternative without some major changes in my pulley arrangement, and I want to avoid the expense of a serpentine system.

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.