Idling & Starting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2002, 05:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cool Idling & Starting

I have a 350 sbc (500 hp) but can get no info on cam,crank,pistons,heads,etc. Carb is a Holley 4160, Delco HEI distributor, Russell fuel filter. Filter element and new plugs just installed.
1/-what should idling rpm be when in park or neutral? Presently it's at 950 and drops about 200 when in gear and will stall when coming to a stop. Engine runs smooth, no vibrations or hesitations . Vacuum hose to tranny comes off the carb. I've been told squirting a bit of water down the carb at a fast idle will clear up some problems with gum or varnish.
2/-starting 2 problems: A- starter: sometimes clunks regardless whether cold or hot. It is new, I never installed it, and was told it needs to be shimmed, bolts,and connections are tight. You would almost think it's going to fall out with the noice it sometimes makes, yet other times it cranks perfect. B-after sitting a few days there is no fuel in the filter, and I have to pour a little down the carb. It then fires up . Looking and pushing throttle manually I sometimes get fuel, other times nothing. Stock fuel pump, and looks new, all lines tight with no leaks. Fuel is new, octane 260 with booster added, and I used stabilizer to try to help.
Sorry to be long winded,new at this,and want to learn. Thanks in advance for help, greatly appreaciated, you guys solved my cooling problem in April.
[code] </pre><hr></blockquote>[code] </pre><hr></blockquote>

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2002, 06:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Smile

Dollybud, are you sure this is a 500 hp motor. If so it should have quit a lopey, racy idle and 950 rpm would be on the low side. Also I cant see how a stock fuel pump could keep up with the demands of a 500 hp motor. I'm not knocking your ride here but its important to know what you have in order to diagnose your problem. With a 500 hp motor and an auto trans, you should have at least a 3000 rpm stall convertor. If it is stock it could drag the idle down to the point of stalling. In order to get a motor like this idling the throttle blades are sometimes opened too far and expose the main circuts which winds up dumping too much fuel and could cause stalling. What you want to do to allieviate this problemm is 1- on a double pumper, open the secondaries slightly by adjusting the set screw on the base of the carb. This will allow more air into the motor at a smaller overall throttle setting. Drilling small holes into the leading edge of the primary throttle blades will also help (3/32").2- On a vacuum secondary carb, drilling 3/32" holes into the throttle blades will help. As far as the starter goes there may be damage on the ring gear and when the motor stops at that point after shutting it off, the starter drive wont engage. To verify this, when the starter makes this noise, turn the motor over by hand to change the engagement point and if it starts ok the its the ring gear (flex plate). Do you have access to a vacuum gauage? It would be helpfull to know what the vacuum is at idle. If its low, like 6-8 " the you have a 500 hp motor. If its higher then the hp will be lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.