If anyone is looking for a new air compressor you might want to check this out. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 02:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If anyone is looking for a new air compressor you might want to check this out.

My very old devilbiss compressor started to die on me a few weeks ago. It started leaking air around the intake valves. (I believe) After searching around a lot I found a real good deal on a refurbished 80-gallon compressor.
Its not an Ingersoll rand or nothing, But so far it has been an impressive compressor.

It is the Morgan air compressor that is sold at northern tool. It is basically a re manufactured Kobalt unit At $499 it is a steel. If you look closely you will notice it is a lowe's kobalt air compressor with a morgan sticker. The kobalt sells for $759
So far Ive used it for painting, sanding and sand blasting and each time I use it Ive been more and more impressed with it. Ive had it for approx 45 days now and Ive used it hard to see its limits. I would not recommend it for professional use, but for a home shop it is well worth the money. The pump is a 3-cyl unit and very quiet. It is no louder then a shop vac. For the price it cant be beat. I looked at many in the $500-$1000 range, including campbell hausfied, craftsman, Kobalt, Bel-aire, devilbiss and harbor freight us general brand. The devilbiss and the bel-aire compressors where much nicer, But at twice the price they where not that much better IMO. The specs are in the normal over rated area. And the best part is for $50 more northern tool offers a 2 year free replacement including pick up and delivery. And the compressor has a two year manufacture warranty. This is a perfect compressor for the home garage needing big air on a budget. They also have the 60 gallon model but I know nothing about it.

Here is a link to it: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6621_200396621

Just thought I would share my good experience, and pass on what I feel is a good deal!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

That may be a better deal than most people might think because "reconditioned" or "refurbished" usually has a person think that the item is overhauled from a worn out piece of junk. They do not overhaul worn out compressors, these "refurbished" models are usually damaged in shipment or sometimes returns under warranty and are usually new/almost new before being refurbished. They may have had a warranty defect that was repaired or they may have been returned with nothing at all wrong for one reason or other. In any case I have bought several refurbished items, most recently a chain saw, and these were indeed as good as new. That compressor does look like a steal!

Last edited by oldred; 12-29-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:05 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

That does look like a really good home compressor.you cant beat the price.Its a 12 -$1,500.00 compressor
Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 AM

Last photo:

They won't last long in the stores at that price!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:03 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
They may have had a warranty defect that was repaired or they may have been returned with nothing at all wrong for one reason or other. In any case I have bought several refurbished items, most recently a chain saw, and these were indeed as good as new.
Funny you mentioned a chain saw. I bought a little reconditioned Mac Eager Beaver (that's what SHE said ) I still have it after something like 21 years (bought in 1988) w/absolutely ZERO problems w/it- and I've worked it hard on occasion. Forget if it was HF or Northern, but I think it might have been HF.

Point is, there are deals on recon's. Had I not took a chance on this deal, I'd prolly not have thought that refurbished tools, etc. would be a deal. I believe many items are fine, they are returned after the buyer used it for a one-time project and returned it for a refund.

These days a dollar saved really is a dollar earned, IMHO.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:48 AM

Last photo:

I remember a while back there was a bunch of lawn mowers being sold as "refurbished" and the guy at the store, if he knew what he was talking about, said there was a warehouse full of them that sustained water damage to the boxes from water used to fight a fire. The insurance company paid for all of them and they were simply auctioned and re-boxed then sold as "refurbished" by the salvage buyer, makes sense. I bought a "reconditioned", not sure if that is different from "refurbished", gas powered pressure washer from a discount store a few years ago for $259. It had an 8 HP horizontal shaft Briggs I/C engine on it but the brand name of the pump and the washer as a unit had been stripped from it, it had no brand name anywhere on it except for the Briggs engine, just evidence of label removal. In any case the darn thing was brand new! The engine obviously had never been started and the pump had never been wet inside, likewise the hose assembly had never been used either. The thing was entirely new from A to Z but for some reason it was repackaged and sold as reconditioned at a fraction of the new cost. I bought it thinking the engine was worth more than that but I have had the darn thing now for over 10 years and have no trouble at all with it. I would not hesitate to buy one of those compressors if I needed one, that thing is going to be a bargain for someone!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:57 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I'd buy two if I could, that kind of deal dont come along every day...
Old 12-29-2009, 11:06 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Used, on eBay for $660 + S&H. Two years old. That one above really IS a deal!

Oldred, what's the deal on the 3 cylinder pump- is it single stage, or?
Old 12-29-2009, 01:29 PM

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:

220 for shipping makes it cost prohibitive for me...........lol
Old 12-29-2009, 01:59 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing
220 for shipping makes it cost prohibitive for me...........lol
Ouch! So Northern has no brick & mortar stores?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:15 PM

Last photo:

Yes it is single stage, that "V" design is a good one. Usually a V type pump like that will have good performance specs because that design lends itself to better cooling than the inline type, the three cylinder is even better than a two cylinder V type.

BTW, the specs on that thing seem to be honest and the motor rating looks to be true HP.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Ouch! So Northern has no brick & mortar stores?

They have a store here in knoxville Tn. so I will try to get by there this evening and see if they have one on the floor. Seems like even if they don't they should be able to order one to the store without incurring that high shipping cost.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:34 PM

It says free in store delivery on the shipping calc page.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

lots of refurbished computer equipment is ok also. 1 year ago I got a Western Digital 500 GB Studio edtion external hard drive that was 'refurbished'. at the time, they were retailing about $300.. I won the auction for $61/ free ship.. when it came to me it was in the standard brown box, but a little peice of paper stating it was entirely new stock from a closed electronics/ computer store. I think it was OEM stock
Old 12-29-2009, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
lots of refurbished computer equipment is ok also. 1 year ago I got a Western Digital 500 GB Studio edtion external hard drive that was 'refurbished'. at the time, they were retailing about $300.. I won the auction for $61/ free ship.. when it came to me it was in the standard brown box, but a little peice of paper stating it was entirely new stock from a closed electronics/ computer store. I think it was OEM stock

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.