If the condenser is bad in a points type dist.would the car run - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2006, 02:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If the condenser is bad in a points type dist.would the car run

I just put my rebuilt 327 back in the car.I set number 1 top dead center.I put dist on number 1 plug have already primed engine droped in dist with dist wire on pos. side of coil. engine popped once never cranked.I have reset timming 10 times no go. I have put engine ground on car have fire at points.Have weak fire at plugs ps. I changed dist wire to neg side of coil. Would wire on pos side of coil blow condenser. if so would car crank?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

The cap could short out if it was old and weak to begin with..

To test, simply pull the cap for testing, It will run fine for test without it. If it does, get a new cap and install it.

If Not, inspect your points, Check the gap..Too tight will cause backfires, too wide will not start or run poorly if it does. About 17 thousands is good.

Inspect the points for pits, bent contact arm, and any place it may be Arcing over.

If that checks, Test the coil.

Remove the wires from the coil, Get out your DVOM, set it for RX1 , Calibrated to 000. Measure the primary side. It should read less than an ohm, but more than 000..out of that range, toss the coil and get another.

Next set your meter to RX10K, measure the secondary side, It should read between 10,000 and 11,000 ohms..out of that range, toss the coil.

Did you remember to hook up the secondary Ignition at the solenoid when you reinstalled the engine?

That will be the wire that goes from the "R" terminal to the Coil +..

to test, just put a jumper between the battery and the coil + and see if it fires..If it does you need to address that..you'll have to pull the jumper to stop the engine.

Doc
Old 04-06-2006, 05:32 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

It's not very common, but yes, a bad condenser will cause the car to run poorly or just at idle, or not at all. Make sure the dwell is between 26 and 30 degrees to start with (.016" point gap if you can't run it long enough to check the dwell).

tom
Old 08-12-2006, 04:44 AM

If the condenser is bad in a points type dist.would the car run

QOUTE- Doc here,
To test, simply pull the cap for testing, It will run fine for test without it. If it does, get a new cap and install it.

hey Doc. i was reading through this old post and i do not understand . how can the engine run without the cap? did i miss something?
keith
Old 08-12-2006, 05:01 AM

Last photo:

A condenser is nothing more than an electronic shock absorber. Its purpose is to help prevent arcing at the points when they open & close.
If the condenser goes bad, the result will be pitted points, which leads to poor running.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by budynabuick
QOUTE- Doc here,

hey Doc. i was reading through this old post and i do not understand . how can the engine run without the cap? did i miss something?
keith
Doc here,

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate...

Syntax error...

I believe you are referring to a Distributer Cap ...has 4, 6 or 8 wires out, a coil wire in...without which, the spark is all dressed up with nowhere to go..Needs a Taxi to find a plug wire..gets confused if it has to count over 8...won't spark to ANYTHING when testing except the UNINSULATED screwdriver in your hand... "Yeah..That Cap.."

What we were discussing was the ignition points cap..icitor...one wire in to the points non~Stationary arm, or - side of the coil feed INSIDE the dizzy...and Capacitor body ground..

It's purpose is to build and store a charge to buffer the spark and add duration to charge / Discharge of the spark..It adds to the life of the points..while eliminating Arc~over..

Were a "Wanted Poster " to be issued for it..It's mug shot would look like this:

"Wanted for Felony Discharge of Electrons within a City limit"
If located , do not apprehend with the key on..
Consider him Charged, and painful..

Suspect is usually seen in the company of this individual:

If located..PLease Call 1~800~Tune ups...ask for Bubba..

Doc

AKAon't quit your day job
For Stand up comedy..
Old 08-12-2006, 06:23 AM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

ALL POINTS BULLETIN..........

In conjunction with the aforementioned suspects is a third culprit suspected of being a major link in the distribution of hot merchandise.

Only known by the name Ballast , he is to be considered armed and has a history of resisting arrest. He is also in violation of the recently passed Ohms law, therefore a warrant for his arrest has been issued.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.