if i was going to build a hot rod to sell - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 06:38 PM

Last journal entry: 46 mercury bobber pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

if i was going to build a hot rod to sell

i recently came across a 30 model a tudor and was thinking of building it with the intention of selling for a little profit.

let me ask you guys this... if you were going to build a car to sell what would you build into it, what type of engine, auto or stick, rear end, drop axle or a-arm suspension, rat rod or glossy paint, wide whites, etc?
what will give me the most return for my money

discuss....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 06:43 PM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

If I was going to by an old car to turn a profit on I would probably try to find one thats already complete. Pretty tough to get your money back out of a project unless its something like a barn find hemicuda or something worth crazy money.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:00 PM

Last journal entry: 46 mercury bobber pickup
Last photo:

i was just trying to figure out what people want, what is the hot trend and then i can figure out if i can make a buck at it. if not i'll buiuld it and keep it
Old 03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

First off, I think you are better off finding someone that wants you to build it for them. Build a car on speculation today is very risky. Plus, you have no idea what a potential owner is going to want. How did you make out with the last one, weren't you trying to sell the hot rod you built?

I have a Tudor sedan for sale right now so I have been watching the prices very carefully. It's a half price market right now. There are a lot of cars for sale out there right now, but the buyers are looking for a steal and they basically want to pay half the going price.

If you really want to build something, keep it simple and by the book. There's a certain classic look to popular cars so I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel. Straight front axle, glossy paint, 350/350, 9" rear, you know the drill.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3365.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	36637  
Old 03-01-2009, 08:10 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

impalia

is 2000-05 old enough anything older down to 80 isnt worth the time and anything older than that you better be doing for love of the work cause youll never get it right if your only doing it for money i stick to impalias cant keep enough sold three this week they keep my shop going and i dont have to deal with lots of custumers besides if its only for money who cares moneys money
Old 03-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Right now rat rods are a hot thing, although a model A isn't really a rat rod. I might call it a traditional hot rod.

But I just finished helping my buddy build an A truck. We literally built it from parts laying around the shop; a 63 Olds steering box, an early buick steering column, a 34 plymouth rear axle, and a rattle-can rebuild on a good $200 350/350. I think total investment was about $5100 and he just sold it for almost $14k. Of course the secret there was having all the right parts laying around the shop.

Traditional hot rods always used what you had to make things fast, and today that means you can build something cheaply. But it does require the knowledge of the engineering/technical side of things. For instance, we had to know which pitman arm we could put on the olds steering box to give the right drag link travel so the steering wasn't too stiff or too loose. We had to know how to re-engineer the torque arms for the rear axle so they wouldn't break with the increased torque from the V8. We had to know how to design a complete cooling and fuel system that worked.

Do the mechanicals right, and the appearance can be left in patina. People pay good money for rust and dents. The other option is to spend crazy amounts of money on making the body just right and paint it pretty, but there is no in between. You probably won't get as much return on the investment if you just bondo it up and put some paint on it. People who want them glossy want them perfect. People who want them patina want them sound and solid, but not pretty. My buddy's model A had a 3" chopped top that we did in 4 hours, left the body with original laquer that was letting surface rust through, and the bed was literally found with a tree growing through it. It was sound, but rusty.

I'll post some pictures from my phone when its not dead.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 PM

rat rod

dude your cool,olds kool
Old 03-01-2009, 09:01 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

IMHO ,if you were to build a car for profit, you are doing it on the speculation that someone will buy it. That said ,you would probably want as broad a base of prospective buyers as possible.

Most people want somthing that is easy to drive , reliable , and that almost any garage can repair.
That said the saying "Keep it simple" comes to mind.
I would use late model chassis upgrades and drive train. Dieffinatly electronic ignition .
It would not have to be show quality, but something that someone would be proud to show off .
I wish you luck. It is a great idea. s
Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

Mopar E bodies (Challenger, Barracuda) and some B bodies like the Charger have been hot the last few years but have softened quite a bit lately given the state of the economy. Right now is the time to buy a completed car if you have the money. There are a lot of folks out there that have taken major hits financially and a hot rod is not a necessity obviously. Time tested hot rods like t-buckets and tri-5's are usually a good bet. If I were to buy a car today to sell in 5 years for a profit it would probably be a 2nd gen camaro. Everybody and there brother has a 1st gen and lost their uniqness a long time ago. The early 2nd gens seem to be gaining popularity, at least from what I've seen and heard.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:52 AM

Last photo:

Usually you don't get all your money back on a project like this, let alone a profit. You may be better off just looking for a great deal on a complete but not in terrible shape car, cosmetically make it look like a million bucks and mechanically sound but not replace every single nut bolt and gadget inside and out of the car.

Even then it may not be worth your time....
Old 03-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

Try and stick to the Ford brand if resale is your key, they are the most popular streetrod, and have the most after market parts available, with chevy and others following. the best resale is often not the run of the mill model of any year, but the rare/low production models(model a a-400 convertibles,32 fords in any model -other than 3/4 ton and up trucks, and phaetons of all years) the downside is, these models are just that---they are rare!! The market is so bad now, it is a great time to buy a complete or almost complete car to "sit on" until the economy improves, when the money starts flowing again,and people have money for "what they always wanted" again, you could clean up!!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodderbn
Try and stick to the Ford brand if resale is your key, they are the most popular streetrod, and have the most after market parts available, with chevy and others following. the best resale is often not the run of the mill model of any year, but the rare/low production models(model a a-400 convertibles,32 fords in any model -other than 3/4 ton and up trucks, and phaetons of all years) the downside is, these models are just that---they are rare!! The market is so bad now, it is a great time to buy a complete or almost complete car to "sit on" until the economy improves, when the money starts flowing again,and people have money for "what they always wanted" again, you could clean up!!

Popular can sometime hurt you also.Big money is in the 41 willys right now.Do a little research,And you will see what I'm talking about.If you a talking about 34 ford's.There value's are down.There's just to many of them.The one's that are bringing the money right now are coast to coast cars,wild rods,And 41 willys.They are the money cars.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:23 PM

you wana make money?

i got a ***********and a *********both complete bumper to bumper either one *****. both run thats how you make money

Last edited by Henry Highrise; 03-07-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Classified ad. Please use the Hotrodders Classifieds for classified ads.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.