Is if me or the steel? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Leading
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is if me or the steel?

I removed the window box on my 41 chevy to rebuild it. When I pulled it out, I saw that the previous owner had filled the trim holes by blobbing mig wire into the holes. Some of them were solid, some fell out when I cut all the wires off the back. So I have been touching up the ones that were OK and putting steel patch plugs in the ones that were junk. I have had a real tough time welding. Sometimes it works just fine. Nice penetration and a flat cap. Other times I don't get penetration. Or it will blow a hole the size of Texas in the steel.

Anyway, I finally got the holes patched to my satisfaction. On one area, I was using a hammer and dolly and a shrinking disc. Everything was going great. I was almost to the point of saying good enough when a vertical crack formed in the base metal. ARGGHHHH! Touch the MIG to it and boom, a 1/4" hole. I ended up putting a 1/2" x 3/4" patch in it. The proud still needs to be ground down so I can start stretching and shrinking all over again. Another day, cause I have had enough for today (maybe tomorrow!).

Any ideas? The base steel rusted under the trim. I am cleaning this up as I go. There are some pits, but the steel at the weld is clean. The plugs are out of 18ga. CS. I am using 0.030" wire in my Marquette MIG. At this rate I am never going to get the car done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Technique is your problem, combined with not the perfect welding system. First, you are taking a craps shoot when trying to salvage panels w/ cancer. Sometimes a spot will fill perfectly as you describe and then others will blow out due to the metal being too far gone. Even when you get a good weld, the rusty area is brittle from hydrogen embrittlement associated with the chemistry of the rusting process so a little hammer and dolly working will crack it. Only real way to do a good job is to cut back to clean sound cancer free metal and weld in a patch. The other difficulty you are having is using the wrong welding wire. Self-fluxing 0.03" wore is great for production work on thick sheet and thin plate but is no good for sheet metal. Switch to 0.023" solid wire and CO2/argon gas and you wills ee an order of magnitude improvement in your sheet metal welds.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last photo:

Hi Willys,

I am using solid with CO2/Argon. I used to use 0.023 until I read a post by Wray Schelin stating that he used 0.035 to weld patch panels in. http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showt...&highlight=035
I tried the 0.030 and I like it better. I am going to get a roll of 0.035 and try it.

On the rust pits, I am afraid you may be on it there. Problem is, I can't see myself cutting a patch approx. 2 inch wide and 4 ft long, with compound curves, putting it in, and having it look like something other than a SCORE track. I'm doomed.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

I also like the .030 wire better than .023 for light sheetmetal. The thicker wire seems to conduct better and I get hotter starts and faster weld travel. I also have a Marquette welder. I don't think Marquette is in business any more, when I bought mine Lincoln owned the company.

I agree patching up some of this old sheetmetal is tough if you can't see what's on the inside. I've done work on windshield frames for 30's era cars and I know exactly what you're going through. You're finding thin areas that you thought were good. You can make your own frame if that one isn't salvageable. Bob
Old 09-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last photo:

Baddbob

The window box is nearly complete. You can see the rusty version in my photo album. I have to put the drain in it, sandblast the rust, weld the two pieces together, prime it, seam seal it, and weld it in the car.

The holes I am trying to patch are on the qtr. panel. I want to get it done while I can still get to the back side of most of it. Once I put the window box back in, it will be basically inaccessible.

The holes on the top of the window frame are inaccessible. I am going to have to use a little more filler on those spots. Maybe that is what I should do on the lower ones. I just wanted it to have as little bondo as possible.

I need to post some new photos.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.